Moparts

Who runs a spool on the street?

Posted By: 70shaker

Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 05:59 PM

Thinking about ordering my Dana with a spool. I only drive the car around town about 200 miles per year and occasionally at the track.

Any downside to the spool on the street?
Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 06:06 PM

tricky in the rain, hard to push around in the garage-driveway, a little rough on the axle shafts.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 06:12 PM

Quote:

tricky in the rain, hard to push around in the garage-driveway, a little rough on the axle shafts.

....also RUFF on the tires .... stick with a regular sure-grip.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 06:13 PM

Made for all-out race cars. Get a good posi and the car will be driveable.
Posted By: hemisurfer

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 06:18 PM

Ever driven a car with a spool? Spool and slicks?

I wouldn't consider a spool on the street...ever.
Posted By: 70shaker

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 06:26 PM

Thats what I thought and your replies confirmed my suspicions.

Sure grip it is.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 06:38 PM

I run a spool with 4.30's on the street,not much fun...but a blast at the track, waiting to pick up another center section with something like 3.73's and a suregrip for the street..
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 06:47 PM

Detroit Locker would do what you want.
Posted By: CJK440

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 07:01 PM

I had a spool in my FAST Duster and on the occasional days I drove it on the street I could barely notice the difference from the fresh sure grip that was in there.

I'm sure the polyglass tires made the difference.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 07:01 PM

you will get a lot of different answers on this I have driven spools on the street here and there no real issues like said above they don't like the rain you can't make sharp turns and such but if I only put 200 miles a year on one I wouldn't rule one out if I where doing a lot of racing.
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 07:03 PM

I run a spool on the street, no problem
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 07:04 PM

I did in the Scamp. No problems. Made me drive the car more carefully, actually.
Posted By: klunick

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/04/09 07:54 PM

Probably not recommended. Besides the wear and tear on equipment, you have to drive differently. For instance, you would not want to pull out of the gas station and nail it until you had gotten the car straight first. Had a buddy years ago do that and one tire grabbed, put him into a 270 and right into a curb. I also had the posi lockup on my T/A years ago and it was bothersome hearing that wheel getting dragged or chirping when making turns.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 12:38 AM

I would not run a spool on the street. Run something that helps your car handle better, not make it harder to drive.
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 12:45 AM

Thinking about ordering my Dana with a spool. I only drive the car around town about 200 miles per year and occasionally at the track.

Do it, if ya cant handle 200 miles a year with a spool....toss your keys in the trash.

Its fun and yes it does make you pay more attention, even with sticky tires.

And how many pounds less is a spool then a locker
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 02:20 AM

Spool here I have driven in the rain and even freezing rain with my Savoy.You just have to use your head and don't drop the hammer until it's straight
Gus

Attached picture 5397987-READY1.JPG
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 03:34 AM

Spool W/no problems. A used spool is about $100 while a used Powerlock that probably needs a rebuild is $300+. 200 miles a year is definately spool territory, as has been stated use your head when driving it.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 04:15 AM

How does using-your-head ...make it any EZier on the axles and tires ?
Posted By: 383man

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 05:01 AM

I decided to go with the Detroit Locker in my 63 when I broke the carrier. The Locker works great to me and I drive my 63 way more then I race it. Ron
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 10:00 AM

Spool here, driven it in the snow, mud, and the rain without problems. As stated above, use your head and you won't have problems. And generally, with a spool you'll be sporting aftermarket axles so axle breakage isn't an issue. Moser told me if I could break their axles they'd replace them free. Dave

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 11:39 AM

Quote:

How does using-your-head ...make it any EZier on the axles and tires ?

Simple; With the low amount of miles we're speaking of (200) our axles and tires should be good for the next 2 maybe 3 hundred years. Our great grandkids will be driving them...
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 11:44 AM

Highly recommended and mandatory if you race to use after market axles. OEM axles won't last long with a spool.
I wouldn't use a spool on the street unless in emergancy and then very carefully. Don't ever forget that it is there.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 03:38 PM

I have driven my car on the street with a sure grip, detroit locker, and its current spool.

The sure grip went by by as it wouldnt hold up with the power i have currently at the track.

went to a detroit locker and absolutely hated it. Getting on and off the gas was downright creepy with that thing, it comes in last place of the three, for sure.i hated it on the street, even compared to a spool.

I currently have a spool, and dont drive the car a lot on the street but occasionally do, made a 30 mile jaunt several weeks ago, with no adverse situations arising, just scuffed up the tires a bit.

For very limited street driving in dry conditions, i wouldnt hestiate to use a spool, especially if the car sees a good bit of track time, where having the spool will shine.
Posted By: kruger

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 11:11 PM

Quote:

I decided to go with the Detroit Locker in my 63 when I broke the carrier. The Locker works great to me and I drive my 63 way more then I race it. Ron

This is why I try to stalk all your posts 383man(errr i mean read lol) That has got to be the Ultimate street and strip ride for the bucks!

Sorry,back to topic:
I wouldn't run a spool on the street.Some of my freinds do,but it's just annoying just my
Posted By: 383man

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/05/09 11:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is why I try to stalk all your posts 383man(errr i mean read lol) That has got to be the Ultimate street and strip ride for the bucks!

Sorry,back to topic:
I wouldn't run a spool on the street.Some of my freinds do,but it's just annoying just my

Thank you very much.

I have had to push cars with spools onto trailers before and it is mighty hard to push when the wheel is turned and a spool is in the rear. Not that you would have to push your car alot but if you just have to push it off the road one time you will see what I mean. Ron
Posted By: dave571

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/06/09 12:48 AM

Quote:

Do it, if ya cant handle 200 miles a year with a spool....toss your keys in the trash.

Its fun and yes it does make you pay more attention, even with sticky tires.

And how many pounds less is a spool then a locker

5 years of street spool so far.(3 in my 8 3/4 and 2 in my dana)

You hardly notice it, except when turning in the rain.

I've been caught on the highway in the rain, and it was no real issue there either.

Some make a big deal out of running a spool on the street, but it is really not a whole bunch different than a good suregrip or locker.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/06/09 02:08 AM

The way I look at it is if you're going to drive a high hp car or truck like a 16 year old, you're going to have trouble reguardless of what type rear is under it. If you've got 600hp at the tip of your toe a little common sense is required. Dave
Posted By: demon440

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/06/09 03:44 AM

So what happens if you floor it around a
corner or leaving a parking lot etc.
With my suregrip it just leaves 2 big black lines
around the corner.
Why is it different with a spool?
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/06/09 04:36 AM

not a spool but I welded the spider gears in my 94 jeep wrangler and drove it daily for a year. I would do it again , not a problem but I only had about 95hp

Re: Who runs a spool on the street? - 08/06/09 12:18 PM

Quote:

So what happens if you floor it around a
corner or leaving a parking lot etc.
With my suregrip it just leaves 2 big black lines
around the corner.
Why is it different with a spool?

It tends to get pretty violent, would be easy to lose it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums