Moparts

Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why??

Posted By: TMCCuda

Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 06/29/08 11:32 PM

This is a fresh built .030 440 with Eddy heads, a M1 intake and 750 Speed Demon.
I am trying to get my motor running for the first time. I keep having problems with cylinders 1 and 3 flooding with gas. The motor will fire and run maybe 20 seconds, then slow down and quit. It might fire again and sputter and no start. I pull the plugs and turn it over and gas will squirt out of 1 and 3.
What would cause the carb to give excess fuel to those two cylinders? I am not using the choke and I am not reefing it. I am using an electric fuel pump and the gauge says about 4 to 5 psi. The fuel is level in both float bowls.

P.S. First, I thought the head gasket was leaking water into the cylinder---I re-torqued the heads, and it still flooded-- I held a cup up to the #1 spark plug hole and it put maybe two ounces of gas with no water into the cup.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 06/29/08 11:49 PM

Sounds like trash in the needle seats,remove and clean/blow them out. Is this a new carb? If so you may want to remove the bowls and check for trash as well. If you have a known "good" carb it might be a good time to try it.

Re: Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 06/29/08 11:54 PM

Yeah, its a new carb... I pulled the bowls to check the float settings and look for trash before starting it, however I didn't look at the needle and seat for the primary...will check that next.

Thanks.

Re: Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 06/29/08 11:57 PM

Try this,turn the electric pump on and while it's running shine a light down the carb with the engine off. Do you see fuel dripping from the boosters?

Re: Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 06/30/08 12:01 AM

Another think I'd be worried about is fuel contamination of the oil. Oil diluted with fuel makes a poor lubricant. I'd check or change it if in doubt.

Re: Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 06/30/08 12:09 AM

I turned the pump on and looked down the throat with a light...no fuel coming in from the boosters.

I will check the oil for gas...I got a bottle of cam break in lube along with Rotella... I was hoping to get the cam broke-in before changing the oil... oh well..
Thanks again.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 06/30/08 11:08 AM

Adjust the idle mixture screw on the driver's side.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 06/30/08 01:26 PM

I'll bet the flooding on 1 and 3 is a symptom. Look at your intake runners, is one and three lower than 5 and 7? Probably is. Sounds like the carb has an issue on that side and it's showing up on one and three.

Re: Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 07/01/08 03:41 AM

Supercuda-- I looked at the manifold and the bottom is level, It is an M1 single plane.

At the moment, I am going to dust off a Thermoquad that I rebuilt years ago and see if I can get it to run without flooding... I will deal with the other carb later.....Will let you all know how it turns out.
Posted By: WICKD6PK

Re: Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 07/01/08 02:37 PM

Had the same problem on my set up. Check your power valve if it has a hole in it it will leak gas and run into the cyl happend to me but on cyl 2 & 4. Also check your fuel pressure maybe gettin too much if so add a regulator. I also changed the seats although the carbs were new the needle & seats were junk.
Posted By: coro500net

Re: Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 07/02/08 12:41 AM

Is there good spark getting to those cylinders?
Maybe the fuel is not getting fired.

Re: Carb flooding cylinders 1 and 3 only, why?? - 07/02/08 09:40 PM

I got it running using the Thermoquad. No flooding in any cylinders anymore.
For some backround, the motor is on a borrowed homemade test stand. I am trying to get the motor broke in and then it goes to get dyno tuned.
It ran great for a few of minutes while I was trying to set the idle for break-in. Then when everything seemed to be going well...the positive battery cable fell on the header, and in a spectacular cloud of sparks and smoke, caused a dead short and melted the negative cable to the battery terminal.

The Demon is on the bench and will get played with later.
© 2024 Moparts Forums