Moparts

lets talk small block a-body headers..........

Posted By: squeek360

lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/29/08 08:18 PM

...going to be doing an engine swap in the duster soon, currently have cheapy mopar speed bump crunching, leaking collector tube, horrific headers. I'd luv to go with tti's; however, the price they want for a set of those just isn't in the budget so I'm looking for a bargain priced alternative that isn't going to have me crunching tubes and constantly wondering if I've got a bad lifter etc. due to flange and tube leaks aaarrgghh lol

please discuss and share your experience, thanx in advance
Posted By: cogen80

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/29/08 08:33 PM

dougs and tti are the only ones i know that don't hang low like that.. could try spitfires maybe. think i remember guys running them on the 67-up a-bodies. in my opinion i would just wait and save the money for the tti headders. well worth it.
Posted By: snuggles

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/29/08 08:33 PM

my headers got a date with mr hacksaw. Nevr on an a body again unless they were ttis

Posted By: AdamR

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/29/08 08:34 PM

If you want good fit your going to pay for it. If not may as well buy a set of Summit headers. $100 and they fit just as good or bad as everything else.
Posted By: RobR

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/29/08 08:53 PM

The std hooker header fits pretty good
Posted By: west

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/29/08 10:02 PM

my advice is to bite the bullet and buy the tti's.
park the car and mow lawns if you have to.
Posted By: W5Duster436

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/29/08 10:40 PM

I have hookers on my duster and the #3 tube has to get quite a ding put in it to clear the steering box. I got them used/cheap so I can't complain but if I ever buy another set they will be TTI's.
Posted By: 340727dart

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/29/08 10:56 PM

Quote:

my advice is to bite the bullet and buy the tti's.
park the car and mow lawns if you have to.

I first put DynoMax/Blackjack headers on my Dart and dinged the pipes on the first drive with them.
I got tired of that and tried Spitfires. They choked my engine.
I cut them off and went with TTIs. I've had them three+ years so far and they still look good and I have not hit them on anything.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/29/08 11:29 PM

The best way to handle the cheap headers vs the ground situation is to limit suspension travel. I put some taller bump stops on the lower control arms and it helped quite a bit.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/29/08 11:42 PM

Dougs fit as nice as tti and aren't as expensive.

I have cars with both and would spend my money on Dougs every time.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/29/08 11:52 PM

Quote:

The std hooker header fits pretty good

Mine do too. No dings at all. I don't have PS though but they fit nice. I did split the flange in the flange in the center.
Posted By: Stew4706

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/30/08 01:13 AM

I have Hookers on mine too and I love them!!
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/30/08 01:30 AM

I agree with the hookers fitting well, forgot to mention that in my earlier post. I did have to move some tubes when I got larger milodon pan though.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/30/08 01:39 AM

Can someone tell me what these headers are? They are old I aquired them with a car back in the early 90's. I suspect that they are pretty old I know they fit an E body. The style is allot like the tti's, they do not hang low, they do not have the center link go through them, or have the number 1 cylinder tube cross back like all the other small block headers. The collecter is gradual and not abrupt like hedmans.

Attached picture 4519840-headers.jpg
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/30/08 02:26 AM

Those look like Hooker Super Comps for a B & E body small block. IIRC, the part # is 5115. Tubes are too big for the average small block, but they do fit fairly decent.
Posted By: 69swinger340

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/30/08 02:35 AM

I have a set of tti's in the box waiting to go on my dart as soon as I get the engine finished. I hope they fit as well as everyone says.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/30/08 02:54 AM

These are super comps

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/30/08 02:56 AM

Quote:

I have a set of tti's in the box waiting to go on my dart as soon as I get the engine finished. I hope they fit as well as everyone says.

Hope your's fit better than mine with the 4 speed...
Posted By: W5Duster436

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/30/08 02:56 AM

The #1 cyclinder exhaust on my supercomps is removable and snakes down through the k-member.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/30/08 03:19 AM

Quote:

Can someone tell me what these headers are? They are old I aquired them with a car back in the early 90's. I suspect that they are pretty old I know they fit an E body. The style is allot like the tti's, they do not hang low, they do not have the center link go through them, or have the number 3 cylinder tube cross back like all the other small block headers. The collecter is gradual and not abrupt like hedmans.

hooker supercomps have equal length tubes.

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/30/08 03:52 AM

Quote:

Can someone tell me what these headers are? They are old I aquired them with a car back in the early 90's. I suspect that they are pretty old I know they fit an E body. The style is allot like the tti's, they do not hang low, they do not have the center link go through them, or have the number 3 cylinder tube cross back like all the other small block headers. The collecter is gradual and not abrupt like hedmans.

Don't look like my thorleys. #3 goes down, not up and over.
Posted By: gtsuperbee

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 06/30/08 04:08 AM

Flow tech headers suck too. Don't even try them if you have power steering.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 07/06/08 03:52 AM

Those are SuperComp A-body race headers. The 5115's don't have a slip tube. These headers have a slip tube that goes around the torsion bar like TTI A-body headers do.
Posted By: squeek360

Re: lets talk small block a-body headers.......... - 07/10/08 02:28 AM

thanx guys, found a local vender and ordered up a set of dougs with the ceramic coating
© 2024 Moparts Forums