Moparts

Who sells VIN rivets?

Posted By: ChickMaggot

Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/30/09 06:27 AM

Guys, I'm doing a swap and need to transfer my VIN plate. Who the heck sells those rivets?

Maggot
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/30/09 10:40 AM

Posted By: GETX

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/30/09 05:21 PM

Give Dave a call at ECS. He will fix you up . They are not listed on his website, but he sells them.

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/
Posted By: jcc

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 12:21 AM

And you have just told the entire online world you planning on committing a felony?

I would delete this post, rethink your plan and get some expert advice privately
Posted By: Dans 68

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 12:41 AM

Quote:

Guys, I'm doing a swap and need to transfer my VIN plate. Who the heck sells those rivets?

Maggot

Dave at ECS does not sell those rivets to people doing re-bodies. Just be sure and tell him....

Dan
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 12:59 AM

Quote:

Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 01:12 AM

There is a vendor selling those things, advertising on page 56, in the current issue of Mopar Collectors Guide.
Look it up.
Do you know how many dash pads i have changed over in the 38 years that i have owned the Cuda in my signature picture.
Probably did that 4 or 5 times in 38 years.
But i just super glued the rivet heads and what was left of the rivet shank back onto the tag.
I don't know what some people wet their pants about in selling rivets.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 01:23 AM

Quote:

And you have just told the entire online world you planning on committing a felony?

I would delete this post, rethink your plan and get some expert advice privately

Maybe he's just "swapping" out his old dashpad, and needs to "swap" the old tag to the new pad, and do it correctly,

And if he's doing a rebody,....who cares, it's his business .....dude needs rivets, maybe they're for a kid's pedal car, or a John Deere lawn tractor?

And to answer the OP's question, contact DW at ECS for rivets,...IIRC $25 pr

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 02:24 AM

I'm replacing a damaged dashboard with one thats in far better conditon and I'd like to have the title still match the car's VIN after doing so. Cuff me.

Maggot

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 02:30 AM

Quote:

Give Dave a call at ECS. He will fix you up . They are not listed on his website, but he sells them.

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/

I shot Dave an email already, but he's not gotten back yet. I'm sure he's a busy guy. Thanks for the heads-up.

Maggot

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 01:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe he's just "swapping" out his old dashpad, and needs to "swap" the old tag to the new pad, and do it correctly,

And if he's doing a rebody,....who cares, it's his business .....dude needs rivets, maybe they're for a kid's pedal car, or a John Deere lawn tractor?

And to answer the OP's question, contact DW at ECS for rivets,...IIRC $25 pr

Unless the laws have changed, that "swap" is not allowed. And the "correctly" excuse is not likely allowed becuse it has been abused, and regarding "who cares?", the next buyer ( a rebody?), the prosecuter, the judge, the jury and his wife and kids for starters. If he needs correct rivets for a john Deere tractor he is on the wrong site. Regardless my biggest concern was asking the question online that might have serious reprecussions later with other solutions possible which I suggested.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 01:11 PM

Quote:

Cry me a freakin river man, sheesh. If someone wants to do a rebody, what's to stop them from just installing the entire dash frame from the donor car? Making the vin rivets available does not make this substantially easier. Or you can dremel the tag rivets off from the bottom and JB weld the tag and the tops of the rivets on. Nobody will be able to tell the difference. jcc, if someone wants to do something dishonest, not having access to vin rivets is not going to stop them. Gimme a break, nobody's going to care what this guy's doing.

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 01:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cry me a freakin river man, sheesh. If someone wants to do a rebody, what's to stop them from just installing the entire dash frame from the donor car? Making the vin rivets available does not make this substantially easier. Or you can dremel the tag rivets off from the bottom and JB weld the tag and the tops of the rivets on. Nobody will be able to tell the difference. jcc, if someone wants to do something dishonest, not having access to vin rivets is not going to stop them. Gimme a break, nobody's going to care what this guy's doing.

OK, I'll give you a break, and by the way you missed my entire point. Now give me a break.
Posted By: badblack68

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 01:22 PM

Think with your dipstick Jimmy!!! Whip Whip Whip.
Posted By: MoparKansas

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 02:07 PM

Some time with a file and some black paint and you have yourself some vin rivets. Kinda like saying don't sell plasma cutters and welders because you can cut the numbers out of the firewalls and trunk lips of cars and weld them back in. Thieves and crooks are gonna do what they are gonna do. Not selling VIN rivets just makes in hard for guys trying to restore their cars correctly (especially the ones that go throught the dashpad) to get it done...
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 02:08 PM

Quote:

OK, I'll give you a break, and by the way you missed my entire point. Now give me a break.

No I got your point. No judge or law enforcement official is going to nail this guy because he posted something online. They've got bigger fish to fry than some guy dinking around with a vin tag on a 30+ year old car.
Posted By: I go fast

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 02:19 PM

And,how many people do you think have really ever had a problem after removing/transfering a vin tag?It's been done for decades.Like said above,bigger fish to fry unless you (not Daytona Turbo) are a member of the Moparts vin tag police then you need to get a life..
Posted By: Kirby

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 07/31/09 03:05 PM

I've seen this argument time and time again. My question is this. How the heck are you supposed to fix/replace a cracked damaged dash pad properly, WITHOUT taking the vin tag off. I mean come on! With all the pads for sale on E-bay and through vendors, you're telling me you just put them in the car with out a tag? or what? So all the beautifully restored cars at Carlisle, the Nats, Mopars at the Park- wherever- these cars ALL have their original, perfect, dashpads? I don't think so. So in other words- our big cars shows have felons walking around all over the place. Sure am glad every Mopar I've ever owned came with a perfect dash pad-

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 12:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No I got your point. No judge or law enforcement official is going to nail this guy because he posted something online. They've got bigger fish to fry than some guy dinking around with a vin tag on a 30+ year old car.

Well now that we are on the same page, my other implied "point" was that at least the OP poster should understand the law/repreccussions and make his own informed decision as he sees the risks, whatever they are or however silly.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 01:38 PM

What he's doing is perfectly legal and most people don't read the whole section.

(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).
(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—
(A) a motor vehicle scrap processor or a motor vehicle demolisher who complies with applicable State law with respect to such vehicle or part;
(B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;
(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law; and
(D) a person who removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, if that person is the owner of the motor vehicle, or is authorized to remove, obliterate, tamper with or alter the decal or device by—
(i) the owner or his authorized agent;
(ii) applicable State or local law; or
(iii) regulations promulgated by the Attorney General to implement the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act.

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 02:27 PM

I don't know the source of your statue, so no comment, but it certaintly as I read it does NOT cover "rebodies", and the OP until several posts later never devulged his intended "legal", by your statue, purpose of needing replica VIN revits. This has been covered many times, and my main concern was the OP may not have fully understood the can of worms he was opening. And regarding another poster about all the "felons" at car shows, that I am do not know, but I am fairly certain one needs to be charged, convicted, and sentenced to be technically called a "felon".
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 02:43 PM

It's a thin piece of steel. A piece of steel which has a numerical number with the last 6 digits matching stampings on the body. As long as said numbers match, even if a Federal agent does just happened to spot a "fake" rivet, he would still be faced with the fact that the VIN tag actually GOES WITH THAT CAR. WHO CARES, as long as the car isn't being sold fraudulently! Grey areas in the law are what keep people paranoid. Mine is all pretty and restored, with new rivets. The numbers match the body numbers. And now there is no rust under it. Go for it Chickmaggot!

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 03:03 PM

Quote:

I don't know the source of your statue, so no comment, but it certaintly as I read it does NOT cover "rebodies", and the OP until several posts later never devulged his intended "legal", by your statue, purpose of needing replica VIN rivets

That statement almost sounds like "cop speak", .....the OP's guilty till "proven" innocent,.....
like I said in my posts, it's none of our business what he's doing with them.......he requires them,they are like any other part of the car, just a fastner,.....end of story

Just for s4it$ and giggles, I have my own tool die to strike "roset" style VIN rivets,....dose that make me a counterfeiter
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 03:50 PM

This is just another simple post buy a guy needing legit info for a legit cause and all of a sudden the moparts moral police come out.

The funny part is all this NOS vin riv stuff is just an unspoken part of the hobby, many many people use them for legit reasons.

I know of a guy in mich, sitting on 500 or so NOS vin rivs, hes sold a few local and they ended up on ebay with no issues.

I dont kiss and tell but many moparts members here are sitting on one or two set of correct vin rivs for correct and legit reasons....who are these members?....baaa good luck, but the moral police would have a fit but these are good honest people.

I had about 100 of these, I used about 40 on the dashwork (gauge clusters, ect) on my R/T, Am I going to hell for using some old rives in a box to fix my gauge clusters....I think not.

Now lets not forget all the open titles that change hands, or the bill of sales with the reduced price for less taxes...but thats all ok, right.

If one is retaging/rebody, using stolen parts to commit fraud, yes they should burn in hell and goto jail. But I dont see the OP asking for vin rivs in public so he can sell his /6 hemi cuda on the bag in six months.

So its clear there are alot of members here riding on a very high horse, I call them keyboard cowboys....but of course no one of them has ever drank and drove, smoked there tires on a public road, missed church,ect....
Posted By: Kingy

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 03:59 PM

Quote:

There is a vendor selling those things, advertising on page 56, in the current issue of Mopar Collectors Guide.
Look it up.

I think that you ah talkin about Ron Johnson up in New Hampsha, he sells them. He can fix you up and you'll be a happy campa.
Posted By: Leadfoot

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 04:17 PM

Quote:

I shot Dave an email already, but he's not gotten back yet. I'm sure he's a busy guy.

Of course he's busy. Supplying Felons with rivets will keep a guy busy but thankfully it's seasonal. He's probably down at ther border smuggling them across in a van that's made entirely from vin rivets.
Whatever you do, don't rat me out when they rubber hose you. I did it on a Chevy truck though.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 04:17 PM

H#ll,I'l give the guy a set then give the rest away before someone comes knocking on my door and wants to send me to the Gray Bar Hotel.

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 08:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I shot Dave an email already, but he's not gotten back yet. I'm sure he's a busy guy.

Of course he's busy. Supplying Felons with rivets will keep a guy busy but thankfully it's seasonal. He's probably down at ther border smuggling them across in a van that's made entirely from vin rivets.
Whatever you do, don't rat me out when they rubber hose you. I did it on a Chevy truck though.

Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 10:03 PM

Quote:

I don't know the source of your statue, so no comment, but it certaintly as I read it does NOT cover "rebodies", and the OP until several posts later never devulged his intended "legal", by your statue, purpose of needing replica VIN revits. This has been covered many times, and my main concern was the OP may not have fully understood the can of worms he was opening. And regarding another poster about all the "felons" at car shows, that I am do not know, but I am fairly certain one needs to be charged, convicted, and sentenced to be technically called a "felon".

So is your understanding that if a person is needing VIN rivots then he must be doing a rebody. Put your bullet away Barney. The poster can put his VIN on another dash that has been installed in his car. The dash is a serviceable part that is no welded or permanently attached to the vehicle. Ask your friendly HP. I deal with things such as this alot. I build alot of totals & from time to time the dash has to be changed. Most of them go to the HP for inspection. I must be posting from prison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who said that he had to devulge to you or anyone else anyway. It's his business.
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/02/09 11:30 PM

Most of the people on this post sound like a bunch of crybabies to me
Posted By: closer9

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/03/09 01:16 AM

Quote:

Yeah, because if he uses generic rivets, and doesn't buy the original NOS rivets they'll be the first ones to say he devalued the car, and that he's doing an injustice to society for using nonstock parts or changing something. I just hope he's not thinking about painting it a non-original color... I'm actually typing this from the depths of H311, not prison...
Posted By: 440beep

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/03/09 03:08 AM

Quote:

Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/03/09 03:22 AM

hey, so let's back to the original question....who sells the correct rivets?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/03/09 03:58 AM

Always check your state laws, that is all I am gonna say.

Attached picture 5393853-vin_rivets.jpg

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/03/09 11:02 PM

There is a difference in putting a vin tag on a stolen car versus a restoration.The dash pads that Year One and Ultimate Rides sell are supposed to have the vin tags attached with sheet metal screws I presume!
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/04/09 02:19 AM

Quote:

There is a difference in putting a vin tag on a stolen car versus a restoration.The dash pads that Year One and Ultimate Rides sell are supposed to have the vin tags attached with sheet metal screws I presume!

The keyword in the law is "stolen". It's cool to check the law. You have to be able to understand what you read first.The crybabies will quote law but do they understand it? No.....

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/04/09 02:36 AM

Quote:

So when "officer friendly" stops you for the usual Traffic harrasement,...I mean Enforcement, and see's those "sheetmetal screws" holding your vin plate on,.....no "discussion" will ensue?....right?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/04/09 03:05 AM

Quote:

I'm replacing a damaged dashboard with one thats in far better conditon and I'd like to have the title still match the car's VIN after doing so. Cuff me.

Maggot

I see nothing wrong with that situation at all. Plenty of car dash frames were hacked for aftermarket radio installs or were taken over by rust over the years, etc.

I'm pretty sure over half of the people responding here failed to read what your intentions were. They just grabbed the ball and ran, like every VIN rivet post usually plays out.
Posted By: Idunno

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/04/09 04:36 AM

Is your head so far up your a_ _ that you do not know that year one and other vendors sell reporduction dash pads that require you transfer your vin tag from the old pad to the new one?

I am so sick of the vin police Get a life!!!!!!!

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/04/09 05:05 AM

Quote:

Is your head so far up your a_ _ that you do not know that year one and other vendors sell reporduction dash pads that require you transfer your vin tag from the old pad to the new one?

"Require"?, I thought the only thing Year one requires is you send them money, what you do thereafter is up to you. And don't start throw rocks unless you are ready to duck

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/04/09 12:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Require"?, I thought the only thing Year one requires is you send them money, what you do thereafter is up to you. And don't start throw rocks unless you are ready to duck

One more little food for thought item.The e-body dash pad was/is a serviceable item.I "assume" that the logical thing to do would be transfer the tag from the original to the replacement.Or,you could always carry your old pad around in the trunk and produce it for proof of ownership if requested.

Attached picture 5396314-P8040020.JPG

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/04/09 12:07 PM

man..

I will make a note not to tell you guys,I am swaping the vin tag from the blue dash to the red dash I am installing in my truck

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/04/09 12:17 PM

Quote:

man..

I will make a note not to tell you guys,I am swaping the vin tag from the blue dash to the red dash I am installing in my truck

OK by me,I made it a point not to read what you just posted.

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/04/09 12:20 PM

I didnt read what I posted either!

Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Who sells VIN rivets? - 08/04/09 03:02 PM

I cant say as I have ever heard of a situation where a person was pulled over by a police officer and was caught red handed...."Ah ha, just what a thought, a violation of the state vin rivet law, son your going to jail for a felony." How ridiculous some people are in this room.

Now that being said, yes there are those who use rivets and stamps, and other marking equipment for unethical purposes. Yet, Ive never seen anyone arrested either for having stamping equipment, reproducing vin tags on doors etc. I can say this In the commonwealth of Kentucky, we have no law forbidding the use of using rivets or putting in vin plate in replacement of dash.

It should be noted our laws are more lax than in some northern states such as Michigan.
© 2024 Moparts Forums