Moparts

68 b body backup light harness/nss

Posted By: 440challenger

68 b body backup light harness/nss - 07/28/09 11:52 PM

68 road runner. currently have an auto trans and no nss/backup light harness in the car. I was trying to find in yearone catalog, and all i found was a nss wire/looks like a single wire? I have a 3 prong nss on my trans. Can anyone tell me where the harness plugs into so i have reverse lights and so i can elimate my nss jumper wire i made. Thanks!!!!!!!
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 68 b body backup light harness/nss - 07/29/09 12:05 AM

I don't know if the aftermarket makes the 2 prong rubber end that will go on the trans switch, you may have to make one. You can splice it into bulkhead connector cleanly. You just need a wiring diagram for the 68 b body. I converted my 68 coro back and forth from auto to stick and even had the dash reverse lamp working for the automatic also. No hacking was required.
Posted By: johnedod

Re: 68 b body backup light harness/nss - 07/29/09 01:18 AM

The back up light switch on my column shifted 68 rr is on the column, not in the trans like the newer ones. You probably already have a plug under the dash for it near the column.

Re: 68 b body backup light harness/nss - 07/29/09 01:28 AM

My car is a 4spd car ....Is there a plug under the dash? If i plugged the harness into the NSS,how would the harness route?

Re: 68 b body backup light harness/nss - 07/29/09 01:48 AM

Sorry, I wouldn't know if the same plug would be there on a factory 4 speed car or not. And I don't have a parts car to check either. If you had a factory 4 speed harness you could just cut it and splice it into the 2 outer wires on your 3 prong switch on the trans. Then run the middle prong up to the starter relay for the nss. But I don't know how these wires were factory routed. Sorry maybe some body else will chime in....

Re: 68 b body backup light harness/nss - 07/29/09 01:09 PM

It looks like the reverse light wires are violet in color . If i have a floor shift car, should their be a plug under the dash?, that you could plug a nss harness in from the NSS on the trans to the plug ?

Re: 68 b body backup light harness/nss - 07/29/09 01:35 PM

If I were you I think I'd just get some new wire and make a b/up light-nss harness. Take a plug that fits your 3 prong switch on the trans and wire the 2 outer prongs for the lights and the center prong for the starter relay. Wrap it all in black tape. The factory routing would likely be up the trans tunnel and you could put a metal tab on one of the top bell housing bolts to fasten the harness to. Then run it up the firewall to where your engine harness comes across and run it thru those clips. Run the center wire to your starter relay. Run the other 2 thru the firewall either thru some empty holes in your bulk head connector or since it's originally a stick car you could go thru the hole your clutch linkage used to go thru. If the original 2 wire plug for your b up lights is there it should be near the bottom of the column. Yes I THINK the wires are violet. If you can't find the original wires just run one to key on power and the other to the wire in the drivers side kick panel that that runs to the back up lights which I think is violet.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: 68 b body backup light harness/nss - 07/29/09 01:50 PM

On a 68, there is no neutral switch feature. If you look at the starter relay, there is a tab welded from the case to the pin where the switch would ground to. On the transmission, there should just be a reverse light switch on the tranmisssion (two flat blade terminals). The under dash harness feeds the voltage through one leg to the bulkhead disconnect, then to the switch on the transmission, then back up to complete the circuit through another terminal in the disconnect. From there it splits to the rear light harness and to the under dash reverse indicator. A wiring diagram can show it 100 times better than I can explain.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: 68 b body backup light harness/nss - 07/29/09 03:43 PM

Can you wire one of these into your harness? Then use a starter solinoid that has a NSS feature?

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=1

Mopar A/B/E Bodies » Electrical » Harnesses - Backup Light » B-Body » HU232N

Re: 68 b body backup light harness/nss - 07/29/09 04:27 PM

There ya go! Problem solved!
And road runner is right, my starter relay doesn't have a terminal for a nss. But in your previous posts you seemed to really want to use one so I was assuming the relay on your car had one. Anyway it seems that harness that health services posted would be a great fix for you.
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: 68 b body backup light harness/nss - 07/29/09 05:45 PM

You can get a starter relay with the NSS prong for an automatic car. A 68 Should have a 1 prong NSS switch on the trans, and the reverse lights are activated on top of the column, under the dash.
© 2024 Moparts Forums