Moparts

Points to Electronic ?

Posted By: beatupcuda

Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 12:38 PM

Whats a good setup to replace my dual point with electronic in my perf engine ?
Posted By: chryco

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 12:42 PM

MSD Pro Billet hands down . Use the 7AL for race , or 6 AL for street / mild race.
IMHO
Chryco

Attached picture 5380808-IMG_2199.jpg
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 02:09 PM

For a performance street car a MP electronic conversion kit and an MSD blaster coil is all you need. Big block small block??
Year of car?
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/eligpa.html

Mancini has Mancini kits that come with coil and plug wires!! new spark plugs and your off to the rodeo
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/maraigspsmbl1.html

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/moigsprbbl2.html

guess mopar does now too
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mope.html

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 02:16 PM

points to electronic

Attached picture 5380982-E1.JPG
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 02:43 PM

Quote:

MSD Pro Billet hands down . Use the 7AL for race , or 6 AL for street / mild race.
IMHO
Chryco

I agree MSD pro billet, but I would go Digital 7
for racing and Digital 6+ for street use.

The Mopar dist and elect ign setup works also
but I would run MSD.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 03:58 PM

Std. Mopar. Parts are as close as your corner parts store.

Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 04:45 PM

Petronix makes some really good products. I have used them several times. Not in recent years though. Pretty stealth if you want it to look stock.

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 06:08 PM

Thanks, I have read on these Items, just wondered about, MP parts, I see, orange, black, & chrome boxes, possibly making more or less available rpm limits, I thought my dual point, and Mopar perf coil would do the job, except I have been told it's probably going south about 4000 rpm, in the early 70's this seemed to work just fine. I do like msd, but really only need 7000 limit, and have just about spent all my $$$ on this 426 hemi already.

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 08:28 PM

Well since you went HEMI get a 6 AL and blaster coil the rev limiter is worth the extra few bucks!
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 08:40 PM

MP electronic with orange box. If your reving that motor over 6000 your wasting your time and motor. Hemi's are torq monsters. They make there power down low. If it were a 340 i'd say rev the [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]. You don't need a million dollar ignition on a street motor unless your looking for bragging right's.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 09:49 PM

I switched from factory dual point to Pertronix in my 64 mw, ran great and easy install. A few years later I "upgraded" to MSD 6Al and saw no difference in ET the only benefit was the rev limiter. I go with the Pertronix if you like the factory look.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/28/09 11:32 PM

Quote:

I go with the Pertronix if you like the factory look.

Pertronix if the shaft/bushing play is acceptable & if not a rebuilt points 383 one might be cheap or a common oe electronic one w a MP chrome box & recurve it(springs/slot length)for your combo
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/29/09 02:23 AM

Quote:

Petronix makes some really good products. I have used them several times. Not in recent years though. Pretty stealth if you want it to look stock.

Pertronix or a ProComp ready to run distributor. They can be had for $50-70 off that auction site. Why clutter up a nice hemi engine bay with all the wiring/electronics of the stock chrysler system? Keep it all in the distributor so it stays neat, tidy and clean.

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/29/09 04:22 PM

Well Doug, my comp cam is good from 2500 to 6500, so that's where my concern of up over 6 comes from. Not looking for bragging rights, just want great spark at 6500 for sure.
If I go MSD the box will be under the dash, not in the engine comp, still hard to believe my dual point, & hot coil will not do the trick, but it appears everyone goes electronic. I really don't like the vacumm advance pod on the newer elect dist, course I think I can remove it ? and go all mech ? any suggestions on this ?

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/29/09 04:41 PM

Yes get a MSD with no vacuum advance on a MP weld the plates together and you can remove the vacuum advance and make a little cover for the hole

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/29/09 05:39 PM

Well Dodgem, I like the stock look, and with the MP dist, I keep the cap for my wires, otherwise the new MSD = new wires, and I have read where the blaster should be mounted up right vs horiz.
I think if I go MP I'll get the chrome box, I think that kit from Manz is about 220, then another coil.
thanks
However I think MSD is the way to go.....

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/29/09 07:44 PM

Dam glad you told me my MSD (blaster 2 I think???) is mounted horizontal for 15 + years and does not break down at 8000 rpm. I'm leaving it I don't like change!

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/29/09 07:48 PM

Well with were you are going 6000 to 6500 probably mostly cruising why not MP. I still not fussy on vacuum advance. I once cut the arm off welded the plates together and left pot on heck you could block the vacuum line and put it on ported vacuum of carb so it looks stock!
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/30/09 12:03 AM

My Blaster 2 is horizontal

why can't you run vac advance?
Posted By: Tom Hand

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/30/09 12:07 AM

Tribute, you need stock dual point like mine. Check it out.

Attached picture 5384484-newdiin1.JPG

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/30/09 12:08 AM

And this with cap on.

Attached picture 5384486-newdi1.JPG
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/30/09 03:02 AM

Tom you converted an OE prestolite dual point unit to OE electronic

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/30/09 12:00 PM

Hey gang !
I have a stock dual point now, w/tach drive, which I would rather convert vs buy something new, but all I have seen is single points dist conversions, so maybe for both , just change the plate & shaft ?
and Dodgem,,,my 770's have no vac port anyway, this is the main reason I do not / cannot have a vac adv, no where to hook it up, without going into the manifold or custom fitting into a carb.

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/31/09 02:23 AM

RRobert, actually a friend of mine did it. I am not that talented.
68, you want his name to see if he can convert yours so you can use your tach drive still?

Re: Points to Electronic ? - 07/31/09 12:09 PM

Thanks, but no, I think once I see the parts, it would be no problem to do, thanks.
Probably should throw my dually into a box with the coil, & wires to put back on once it's for sale for originallty,,,, but that's wayyyy down the road,
thanks everybody here for the help.
© 2024 Moparts Forums