Moparts

who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on

Posted By: 79machocharger

who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 01:11 PM

I broke a couple of the tabs off on my cover for my steering coupler and now the cap barely stays on, any one know who sells the spring clip that snaps around the coupler and holds the cover on? Any help would be great, thanks Ryan
Posted By: Boise Chall

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 01:32 PM

it depends on what style you have but I got mine from my local Dodge dealer. mine is the rectangle one. The dealer said that they used the same one until like 93 or so.

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 01:58 PM

It's a 69 charger, and the thing I'm talking about is nothing they use from the factory. It's somthing that they made to keep the top on these coupler on better.
Posted By: Gusteve

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 02:36 PM

I'd be interested in this too. Particularly if they make one that clips on without having to disassemble everything.

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 02:56 PM

Quote:

I'd be interested in this too. Particularly if they make one that clips on without having to disassemble everything.

I'm pretty sure you could put it on without taking it all apart, I just can't remember who sold them or if they still sell them.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 02:56 PM

Quote:

It's a 69 charger, and the thing I'm talking about is nothing they use from the factory. It's somthing that they made to keep the top on these coupler on better.

Actually it was a factory part back in the 70's & 80's, it wasn't stock but a factory fix for the common loose coupler cover... A Moparts member reproduced it but he sold his last part over a year ago & didn't pan to make more...

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 02:59 PM

thanks for the info, you wouldn't happen to what the members name was would you? Maybe he's got a hidden stash of them tucked away .

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 03:04 PM

Unfortunately no I don't.. But I do remember him coming on & posting that he had sold out...I think it took quite a bit longer to recoup his investment than he had planned & unfortunately he had no interest in doing them again...
Posted By: ekim

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 04:31 PM

It was me ! I sold all I had to an ebay seller mainelymopars (his ebay store is peps parts), and he is selling them on ebay now !!!!! Look herehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-STEERING-COUPLER-CLAMP-YOU-NEED-THIS-LOOK-RARE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem5ad1449c0bQQitemZ390057991179QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or if that link wont work search mopar coupler on ebay and you will find it. thanks Mike
Posted By: wkroncke17

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 05:23 PM

Found it on ebay!!....
correct link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-NOS...bayphotohosting

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 05:50 PM

Actually this is the clip...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-STE...sQ5fAccessories

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 06:12 PM

Great thanks for the link, went into his store and found the clamp I was talking about. Thanks so much.

Attached File
5379043-untitled.bmp  (177 downloads)
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 06:44 PM

Make sure you measure correctly, there were two different length springs.

Factory Service Bulletin - D69-19-4
Pages 3-5

Attached picture 5379091-D69-19-4page3.jpg

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 06:49 PM

Attached picture 5379103-D69-19-4page4.jpg

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 06:50 PM

Attached picture 5379104-D69-19-4page5.jpg
Posted By: badblack68

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 10:27 PM

Quote:

It was me ! I sold all I had to an ebay seller mainelymopars (his ebay store is peps parts), and he is selling them on ebay now !!!!! Look <a href="herehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-STEERING-COUPLER-CLAMP-YOU-NEED-THIS-LOOK-RARE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem5ad1449c0bQQitemZ390057991179QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories" target="_blank">herehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-STEERING-COUPLER-CLAMP-YOU-NEED-THIS-LOOK-RARE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem5ad1449c0bQQitemZ390057991179QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories</a>

or if that link wont work search mopar coupler on ebay and you will find it. thanks Mike

Mike,
Thanks for posting the link. I'm all sold out of the longer clip and only have the shorter style clips left. I wish someone was able to step up to the plate and start making these again. I've sold most of them locally to friends and friends of friends, they love them! I forwarded the scribbled blueprints you sent to me to one one the bigger Mopar parts suppliers/manufacturers in the country and he didn't seem to enthused about having them made. As a matter of fact, he had a few of the long style clamps in his inventory and I was able to pry a couple of those away from him for a customer. He did tell me that the few he had left were for his personal stash and there would be no more for sale. It looks like when I sell the dozen or so of the shorter style I have left, that will be the end of the line for a badly needed part for a poorly designed Chrysler part. You know that the steering coupler puking its guts because of a poorly designed cover was an issue for Chrysler when they had to design this spring clip to "hold" it all together. Ryan,I got your order and will email you about the shipping details.
Mark

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/27/09 10:48 PM

Cool, thanks Mark. Pretty weird that ended up finding them right in my own state. Thanks again guys!
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/28/09 03:57 AM

wow!! didn't know these clamps did exist!!!

THAT'S a nice part to have, because I noticed that too

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/28/09 04:47 AM

I bought a couple from Mike (ekim) when he was trying to sell them here on Moparts. It seems to be one of those parts that no one can live without, until someone actually decides to step up and invest the money and time required to bring it to life. Then no one can see it's worth.

Attached picture 5380565-SteeringCouplerSpringRetainer.JPG

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/28/09 05:08 AM

Attached picture 5380586-SteeringCouplerSpringRetainer2.JPG
Posted By: wingman

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/28/09 05:40 AM

What do I measure to determine whether my coupler is the "short" or "long" style?

I have seen a few of these clips in the swap meets (usually in a pile of other assorted junk) but I don't know how to tell if it will fit my car.

(70 B-body with PS if that matters)

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/28/09 05:57 AM

From the center of the roll pin hole to the top of the cover.

Attached picture 5380625-coupler.jpg

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/28/09 06:01 AM

Assembled

Attached picture 5380627-CouplerandClip.jpg

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/28/09 06:22 PM

My only regret is that I only had 1000 made instead of 5000! At the time I didnt think there would be such a big demand, but I had as many made as I could afford. If anyone want to try to make some more (it wont be me, because I recently bought a house) "wire forming" is the is the kind of company you are looking for. Try to find a small shop that does short runs or prototype work. The problem I had was the shops wanted to make 500,000 parts, make the tooling, and charge big bucks before I saw the first part and that was not going to work. Good luck!

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/28/09 07:18 PM

Mike
What happened to the company you originally used?
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/29/09 12:11 AM

I got mine from RT Specialties
Jim
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/29/09 01:38 AM

i tack welded mine in two small spots
Posted By: cornet684me

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/29/09 01:39 AM

did this work, i currently have this problem, i cannot get the coupler retainer to stay on

Posted By: 05dakota

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/29/09 01:51 AM

does any have a usable example? how much did they sell for?

I have a friend that has a small maschine/fabrication shop.

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/29/09 04:49 PM

I had 2 sources that did them, long story short they are no longer in biz.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 07/29/09 05:16 PM

Thanks for making those clips. I've been meaning to buy 2 of those since I first saw them in a magazine, must be 10 years ago now. Never got around to doing it, but never forgot about it either. My cover is staying on my coupler just fine, but I'd like to have the clamp on there anyway. I won't forget about them and eventually if I start looking, I figure I'm bound to end up with at least one.

What gauge is the wire? Worst come to worst maybe I could bend up my own, but would much rather buy it already done.

Tav
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 09/25/09 12:13 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-STE...p4506.m20.l1116
Posted By: clemul

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 11/29/14 07:10 AM

I know this is an old thread but this is such a hard to get part and really works well.The Mopar steering coupler retaining clamp everyone is looking for can be found on ebay using search "mopar steering coupler" I have an original on my car and it works very well. Holds cover and seal on coupling tight without moving even without seal cover tabs crimped on. Mine was separated,I put this on and it pulled really tight right where it belonged.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Mopar-29969...f89&vxp=mtr
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 11/29/14 03:59 PM

Great update! I need a couple.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 11/29/14 05:04 PM

I don't do Ebay, Does anyone know the guys phone # by chance?

Sheldon
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 11/29/14 06:08 PM

I like this setup from steer and gear

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 11/29/14 06:27 PM

I had the slip on one but I like this one so much better. Not only is it a period correct factory design, around the heat especially with headers and chemicals in engine compartment this seems so much more durable. These are heavy spring wire and really clamp down seal and seal cover. Takes some effort to snap in down into place. You won't have shrinkage or vibration loosening it like a slip on cap that has grease under it. I didn't even bend the tabs down on mine, the clamp holds it so tight.
Posted By: BDW

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 11/29/14 08:00 PM

I'm still cloudy on the measurement, small vs large, how can you tell?

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 11/29/14 08:57 PM

You measure length of coupling. My 67 Gtx and the ones on ebay and most are 3 inch in length. Unlike slip on you don't have to remove coupler from car to to install.
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 11/30/14 12:29 AM

Jim at http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/ is making them now.
He had them at the Garlits show.

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 12/05/14 06:55 PM

These are exact in all ways to the factory one I already had. These available again and done right, not half-assed like a lot of reproduced stuff. It always bothered me that I could never seem to get my covers crimped on as tight as the factory did with their special crimping jig. Here is link if anyone needs it. Ebay search for "mopar steering coupler clamp" also brings it up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Mopar-29969...f89&vxp=mtr
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 12/06/14 05:17 AM

Quote:

I like this setup from steer and gear

I'm on the second seal now from Steer-n-Gear, both of them split over a short amount of time. I have a third seal, I'm not even going to bother installing it because I know it will split again.
I'll go back to the original design with one of those clamps instead.
Posted By: BDW

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 12/19/14 08:30 PM

Anyone actually install 1 of these clips, I messed with it for a couple of minutes then stopped.

Is there a trick I'm not seeing, other than just spread the h*ll out of it and force it?

Not a lot of room to maneuver in that area.
Posted By: kdsmith07

Re: who sell Steering Coupler spring that hold the cover on - 12/20/14 02:50 AM

2 pair of hands help
© 2024 Moparts Forums