Moparts

torsion bar removal tool

Posted By: Publicbottle

torsion bar removal tool - 06/28/08 08:21 PM

Where can i get one of these? Or is there any other ways to remove them safely? I remeber a post a long time ago with some handy alternatives....
Posted By: snuggles

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/28/08 08:25 PM

I think one of the ways was to use a gooseneck from an old bicycle
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/28/08 08:27 PM

i make them out of solid steel, fits all bars from .750-1.00. shipped to all 48 states $47.50 , the last one you will ever buy. ill see if i can add pic

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/28/08 08:48 PM

the ultimate t-bar tool, us made, solid steel, best design ive made plenty of striking room, cnc machine cut outs doubles claping force. and will knock out the most stubbern bar with ease. made these because i was not happy with all designs made now, and most failed after few times of heavy use. on my race car i have to move out the drivers side bar to get header out, tool works perfect never leaves any marks on t-bar

Attached picture 4517473-100_1551.JPG

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/28/08 08:52 PM

pm me or email if anyone is interested thanks aaron

Attached picture 4517480-100_1553.JPG
Posted By: johnscudashop

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/28/08 09:00 PM

I sell Many of these .All are made from 1"x1" steel with a knurled handle. 3/8 bolts. $37.99 plus shipping, Phone orders 843-324-3586 or online, Check out www.stores.ebay.com/johnscudashop

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/28/08 09:32 PM

bought that one for 47.99 total then made mine. it was welded together bent, not long enough, no good striking spot, are they made in mexico?

Attached picture 4517552-100_1559.JPG
Posted By: dart_sportsatellite

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/28/08 09:46 PM

here's what I used, home made out of 2 x 4s

Attached File
4517572-torsionbartool.bmp  (1451 downloads)
Posted By: ResQ911

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 12:53 AM

Quote:

here's what I used, home made out of 2 x 4s

I used wood as well.........no marks!

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 01:41 AM

i also make the ultimate upper ball joint remover/installer socket for b-bodies. complete cnc made from 4140 steel billet bar stock. usa made in my town the best on the market snap-on quality. i designed it off a nos ball joint. pm me here or email hbullet1968@aol.com $47.50 shipped to all 48. thanks aaron

Attached picture 4517936-100_1554.JPG

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 01:42 AM

top pic

Attached picture 4517942-100_1555.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 02:17 AM

I just clamped a big Vise Grip Pliers on and went to town w/a hammer.
Posted By: Neil

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 02:26 AM

I hope you threw those bars away afterwards. Your not supposed to put any marks on them at all.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 02:29 AM

I removed mine without any tool. I loosened the lower arms and tapped them forward. Mike
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 02:52 AM

Quote:

I removed mine without any tool. I loosened the lower arms and tapped them forward. Mike

There isnt much holding them in anyway. Usually I just use my hands.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 03:28 AM

Quote:

I hope you threw those bars away afterwards. Your not supposed to put any marks on them at all.

I put the hammer to the vise grips, there weren't any scratches, as the grips never slipped, and came out easily. Would maring them up have caused stress points in the bars? Just gripping the bars with the Vise Grips would have the same effect as the tool above, wouldn't it?
Posted By: earlybee

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 03:37 AM

NO vise grip teeth marks unless your replacing them with new ones or flipping the car.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 03:38 AM

Why is that earlybee? What effect would teeth marks have?

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 03:44 AM

Well, the teeth marks cause fatigue cracks over time. You may get lucky for a while but the snap failure at any time will make you wiser if you live thru it.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 03:48 AM

Scratches caused by tools etc cause stress marks that can cause failure. If the Vise grips don't leave marks then no harm done. Most tools do not have serations on them just flats to prevent scratches.

I never used a tool, ever. I always loosened the LCA and slid it back if the bar didn't come out on it's own. Many people don't clean the rear of the Tbar socket or release the Tbar completely by removeing the UCA stop. If you don't you will need the tool.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 03:48 AM

Interesting, so even if teeth marks were evident, no matter how light, you would replace them.
Posted By: polkat

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 03:49 AM

I use the vice grips as well, but I use a thick and rather hard piece of leather between the bar and the vice grips. Works well and no teeth marks at all.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 03:56 AM

Quote:

Interesting, so even if teeth marks were evident, no matter how light, you would replace them.

Small Scratches can become big cracks very fast in a piece of metal under stress. Hence the reason for polishing Rod sides etc.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 07:47 PM

Quote:

Scratches caused by tools etc cause stress marks that can cause failure. If the Vise grips don't leave marks then no harm done. Most tools do not have serations on them just flats to prevent scratches.

I never used a tool, ever. I always loosened the LCA and slid it back if the bar didn't come out on it's own. Many people don't clean the rear of the Tbar socket or release the Tbar completely by removeing the UCA stop. If you don't you will need the tool.

up north where the t-bars and hex sockets become one with rust the only way to get it out is the tool, or if you ever bent them racing, from wheelly pops, they wont be easy to get out. to monkey with loosing up lcas, to tap it all back, you will have to take apart sway bar links,strut rods,brakes,wheel,lower ball joint,ect...with tool its 5 minute job, dont even have to take front wheel off.jack up car, impact t-bar jack bolt loose,clamp on tool, remove rear clip, and tap out towards rear

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/29/08 08:06 PM

Quote:

Well, the teeth marks cause fatigue cracks over time. You may get lucky for a while but the snap failure at any time will make you wiser if you live thru it.

I had a bar snap but was in my own drive. I neverr had them out of that car.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/30/08 01:24 AM

It seems I'll be spending a few bucks on T-bars now, great! Not to jack the original posters thread, but any ideas where to get a pair, and should I stay with the stock size, or go up a size or two on the diameter. Thanks.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/30/08 02:10 AM

Quote:

It seems I'll be spending a few bucks on T-bars now, great! Not to jack the original posters thread, but any ideas where to get a pair, and should I stay with the stock size, or go up a size or two on the diameter. Thanks.

mancini 440+6 car 920s hemi car 960s, or to improve handing on any b-body go with 920s

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/30/08 02:30 AM

383 car, I guess the same as 440?

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/30/08 02:51 AM

The 383's used a smaller Tbar from the factory but there is no reason you can't move up or down as you like. They are the same length just different diameter in the mid section so nothing has to be changed for the thicker bar to work.
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/30/08 03:08 AM

I made my own tool out of aluminum block. It just has a half circle cut into both halves and clamps down on the bar. Seemed to work pretty nice on the last project. Will be using it again this winter.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/30/08 03:13 AM

Quote:

383 car, I guess the same as 440?

all mopars have 1.250 hex ends bars. a body=35.8 long,b+e=41 long, c body 47 long. the type of car will mater. lets says its 383 4bbl b-body there only .860 size, go with the biggest stock size 920 440/hemi hd repop bars. with all bigger wheels now than stock 90% were 14 inch,faster steering parts, disc brake convertions,changed instant over centers in chassis. all mopars need bigger t-bars with these increased suspension demands

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/30/08 03:17 AM

Quote:

I got a set of 960s from Monicatti after looking for the best deal. Their a board sponsor here so tell them your a member, Torsion Bar Set - 0.960
Price:$177.65
Part Number :P5249158 http://www.monicattichrysler.com/comersus/store/comersus_searchItem.asp Type in torsion bar in the search box.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/30/08 12:53 PM

can bars with small nicks be dressed?

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 06/30/08 01:05 PM

Thanks for the advice Hemigod426, front disc brake conversion is probably in the future. Also thanks very much earlybee for the hook on the t-bars. The .960 are probably the way to go. Do I need a discount code, and where would I get one?
Posted By: Fab64

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 08/09/08 07:27 PM

Quote:

can bars with small nicks be dressed?

According to the FSM, they can. My 1967 manual says:

"Inspect torsion bars for scores and nicks. Dress down all scratches and nicks to remove sharp edges, then paint repaired area with a good rust preventative."
Posted By: Mobarge

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 08/09/08 08:08 PM

Whatever you do, be sure to get the tool. Hemigod's looks a lot better than the other one I bought years ago. Nice and solid. I destroyed the other tool I bought after using it a couple of times.

And, while the bars are out, why not do the .92 torsion bar upgrade. I did, and it was totally worth it.
Posted By: anmracing

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 08/09/08 09:16 PM

Ours came out without a tool also.... I didn't even know that there was a special tool for that job. We took all the weight of the front end losened up the adjustment bolts and took out the clips. Came right out. Drives pretty good for 40 year old car.....
Posted By: 68 Sat

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 12:37 AM

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Hemigod 426 I am trying to but his tool to get moving on my project...
Posted By: BDW

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 12:47 AM

Click on his user name and PM him

hbullet1968@aol.com

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 01:14 AM

Don't waste your time with any other contraption then Hemigods removal tool. I used it last night to remove my torsion bars and it works liked a charm. Really well built and saved my ass. Just buy it
Posted By: Yancy Derringer

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 01:23 AM

You don't need all these fancy tools, just get a piece of say, 3/8 angle about 4" long, and a piece of say, 1/2 x 3 flat bar also 4" long

Drill matching holes for 7/16 or 1/2 bolts to go through, clamp to the bar with the angle hanging down, and hammer and bang away.
Posted By: txterry2

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 03:37 AM

I used a 1 inch cable splice and a 3 lb. hammer.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 03:40 AM

Quote:

i did and still haven't heard from him. was hoping someone who is his friend could reach out to him before i go at my torsion bars..

Why don't you try to take them out before investing in the tool.

The tool is a waste of $$, like was said there's many easy ways to make a tool buy drilling 2 holes in some scrap metal.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 04:22 AM

I have tried but just not with any of the fore mentioned contraptions. They are 1" firm feel tbs that I put in one year ago and want to get them out as easily as possible without marring them up. I guess it's on to plan B with a few of the suggestions. Thanks for the feedback and I'll keep you guys posted.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 04:44 AM

1X1 soild steel with a knured handle.$37.99 + $10 ship USA www.custommachinecomponents.com

Attached picture 6372951-100_1719.jpg
Posted By: BossRide

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 05:11 AM

A bmx stem would work and they are super cheap. $10-15

Mine came out by hand.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 05:46 AM

Quote:

i did and still haven't heard from him. was hoping someone who is his friend could reach out to him before i go at my torsion bars..

hi pm me or email now, been crazy busy december repairs,sales,parts,family stuff...
Posted By: pishta

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 06:29 AM

Quote:

I used a 1 inch cable splice and a 3 lb. hammer

Wow, I used the exact same thing. Ashamed to admit it but they are still on there! Never had to remove the bar, just pull it out of the LCA. Now that I know to put a big pipe wrench on the LCA socket and torque it to completely remove the stress on the bar, they come out without a hammer, but the clamp is a nice place to put your boot heel into. I put moly grease in both sockets. Keeps the crust at bay.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 07:12 AM

Quote:

pm me or email if anyone is interested thanks aaron

Waiting for mine
Posted By: A12

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 12/23/10 07:45 AM

Wire rope clamps and a piece of heavy stock right angle. I had a friend that had the metal so it only cost me the time to cut and drill the metal and the price of two 1" wire rope clamps from McMaster-Carr. As mentioned the bicycle steering stem or just the wire rope clamps will work for most removal, if it's too tough to get them out with one of those twe items then what I made will remove any of them, if not you have a big problem

MikeR

Attached picture 6373182-DSC01779.JPG

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/05/11 07:22 PM

i just got hemogods tool and it worked flawlessly..Worth every penny.. Thanks for saving my ass...

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/05/11 07:23 PM

Quote:

i just got hemogods tool and it worked flawlessly..Worth every penny.. Thanks for saving my ass...

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/05/11 08:08 PM

Quote:

He makes good tools but if read through this thread many of us who have been doing this for years know that is one tool that is optional. There are too may ways to get them out without buying a tool. I have pulled hundreds of T-bars and never needed any tool. You should have saved your $$ and bought one of his ball joint sockets instead.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/05/11 08:48 PM

I actually bought both his tools. Thanks. I being a weekend mechanic have never pulled a torsion bar before. After attempting the multiple alternatives and instead of marring up my expensive Firm Feel TBs, the tool and the five minutes it took me to remove them were well worth it.
Posted By: donbarnes

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/05/11 09:02 PM

That tool is easy to make with a u-bolt and flat piece of metal
Posted By: 440Satellite

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/05/11 11:31 PM

I ended up making my own, I welded some angle iron to a set of vice grips. Clap it on to the torsion bar and whack it with a hammer. I've used it a few times and it works great.

Butch

Attached picture 6399437-torsionbartool005.jpg
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/06/11 12:12 AM

I bought one off Ebay and it worked fine. The biggest difference for me was making sure my suspension was fully hanging down by removing the shocks and upper A-arms. I didn't even have to bang on the tool very much, a few sound taps, and the suckers just popped out.

-dan
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/06/11 12:19 AM

Quote:(Wire rope clamps and a piece of heavy stock right angle. Cut and drill the metal and two 1" wire rope clamps )

This is too easy I stold the pic for future reference.
Hope no one gets mad.
Anybody got a socket for the upper ball joint for a c-body?
Posted By: Yancy Derringer

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/06/11 12:35 AM

Quote:

.........bought one off Ebay and it worked fine........

Doesn't anybody MAKE anything anymore?
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/06/11 12:40 AM

There is NOTHING BETTER for removing a TB than a Miller tool.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/06/11 12:45 AM

Bud fer me
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/06/11 12:56 AM

Quote:

Don't waste your time with any other contraption then Hemigods removal tool. I used it last night to remove my torsion bars and it works liked a charm. Really well built and saved my ass. Just buy it

Just got mine the other day. Well made.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/06/11 12:13 PM

Quote:

There is NOTHING BETTER for removing a TB than a Miller tool.

I still have one, the allen bolts are a PITA though.

I'd rather back off the LCA nut and just break the bar loose that way, usally all it takes.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/06/11 12:58 PM

i have never changed a TB ... but I bought that tool with about four others with a friend. I don't remember him saying that there were "issues" with those allen screws. IIRC ..all he had was a large allen-wrench and just rapped-that with a larger hard-rubber hammer to tighten it.
Posted By: POZEST

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/06/11 01:50 PM

I borrowed the miller tool from a friend once and man that tool is nice. I spent more time setting it up and attaching it to the bar than the actual time of tapping it out. Thing was a heavy beast!
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/06/11 04:32 PM

For those that have never seen one.

Attached picture 6400838-P1060304.JPG
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 01/06/11 06:23 PM

Quote:

I used a 1 inch cable splice and a 3 lb. hammer.

That's what I used too. Though with an 8 lbs sledge.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 03/08/14 04:57 PM

Quote:

bought that one for 47.99 total then made mine. it was welded together bent, not long enough, no good striking spot, are they made in mexico?

I am no means perfect , but I try to create a good product and service for the price .What did you do bend it? I certainly don't appreciate you trying to slander me on the forum. I been making these for years without any problems. My Feedback and volume of sales on these speaks for itself http://www.ebay.com/itm/mopar-torsion-ba...039&vxp=mtr This is bad carma on your part. OH and this is the picture of the tool not the picture you have next to yours.

Attached picture 8066132-100_1719.jpg
Posted By: stumpy

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 03/08/14 06:35 PM

You waited 6 years to post this. Slander, karma good grief. Get real.

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 03/08/14 07:41 PM

No Stumpy I didn't wait 4 years to post this, I just noticed it when I googled Mopar Torsion Bar tool and this thread showed up ,it was a thread I posted on. I make each and every tool I sell,I'm not a big factory or something. Its possible that 1 might have slipped through ? but the buyer could have contacted me if there was a problem. I'm a honest guy ,I would have fixed it . I take my business seriously and am hurt of the remarks. I could easily be offensive and point out the weakness's in his particular design but I am not going to do that.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 03/08/14 09:23 PM

So simple...

Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 03/09/14 08:21 AM

When I remove t-bars I just loosen the lca pivot bolt a bit and pry the lca back and it pops the t-bar right out the back. Easy removal after that.

-Daty
Posted By: fullonmopar

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 03/09/14 02:02 PM

Quote:

When I remove t-bars I just loosen the lca pivot bolt a bit and pry the lca back and it pops the t-bar right out the back. Easy removal after that.

-Daty

Exactly what I do, been removing torsion bars for 40 plus years and never used a tool, just loosen the LCA and knock back the arm with a decent hammer or lever back with a pry bar (we call them pinch bars down under)and the TB just pops out, never had a problem.

Attached picture 8067376-winacharger1974.jpg
Posted By: MarkMcDonald

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 03/09/14 03:19 PM

I agree no special tools and big hammer needed!
Posted By: Commando1

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 03/10/14 02:05 PM

Quote:

I am no means perfect , but I try to create a good product and service for the price

I have one and it WORKED when the others failed.
Well worth the money when you take a swing with the BFH and that T-bar slides right out.
Posted By: TAD Driver

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 11/06/18 08:51 PM

your link doesn't work for your ebay store and searching the ebay site comes up "not found" so how do I contact you?
Posted By: TAD Driver

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 11/06/18 08:54 PM

I've searched high and low, can't find where to buy the Miller tool, any help?
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: torsion bar removal tool - 11/07/18 05:46 AM

Anything that clamps to the bar w/o marring its surface will work fine for this job....A pair of vice grips w cloth rags between the jaws and the bar can be hit and work fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums