Moparts

Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn

Posted By: ProSport

Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/21/09 10:05 PM

I have a RR horn, it only has one prong on the back to hook a wire to. I have a button on the dash that used to be for purging nitrous, I'm gonna use that for the horn button. I figured I'd just run a power wire to the horn from the dash button but a buddy of mine thinks the RR horns had to have some special relay to work properly.

How do you wire these?
Posted By: Hoof Hearted

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/21/09 10:25 PM

Very cool idea! I've been thinking of making the horn buttons(not centered type) either a line lock hold or nos hold.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Good luck.
Posted By: okie

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/21/09 10:30 PM

I know it has a relay but I think they all do so all you have to do is hook up 1 of your horn wires to it. That is the way I've all ways done it. Good Luck! Ronnie in Okla.

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/21/09 11:15 PM

This is a street strip race car so there's no relay or horn wire, just starting from scratch.

I'm basically just asking if I can run a power wire straight to the horn, maybe with an in-line fuse for safety. And does it ground just by bolting the horn to the car?
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/21/09 11:15 PM

Horns need a lot more current than your stock steering wheel horn button will flow, which is why they used the relay. Plus the way they did it simplified the wiring. You push the horn button and it ground the switch feed to the relay, which then in turn sends a 12v + feed to the horn.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/21/09 11:21 PM

You do not have to have a relay but it is recommended. If you used the standard bosch style relays they sell over the counter, you could do this.
  • 85 will go to the switch
  • the other end of the switch will go a good ground
  • 87 will go to the horn
  • Put a wire on 30 that will jump to 86 as well, then thru a 5-7.5 amp fuse and finally to the big post on the starter relay or other battery voltage source.
  • make sure the horn is grounded well.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/21/09 11:47 PM

The horn for the Road Runner was actuated through a relay. The relay was "closed" by completing the ground at the horn switch. That way, a higher current load could be passed through the relay instead of through the horn button, whcih would probably cause it to wear out faster.
Posted By: farmington

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/21/09 11:49 PM

For what its worth, Testors(model car paint) sells a lilac paint that is a spot on match for the purple color of these horns. The decal is available at places like year one.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/21/09 11:51 PM

I took the OEM horn out of my Dad's Road Runner and put it in my Duster when I was 16.It worked fine.No special relay was made or needed for the RR horn to work.

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/21/09 11:52 PM

Quote:

You do not have to have a relay but it is recommended. If you used the standard bosch style relays they sell over the counter, you could do this.
  • 85 will go to the switch
  • the other end of the switch will go a good ground
  • 87 will go to the horn
  • Put a wire on 30 that will jump to 86 as well, then thru a 5-7.5 amp fuse and finally to the big post on the starter relay or other battery voltage source.
  • make sure the horn is grounded well.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/22/09 12:17 AM

Quote:

I took the OEM horn out of my Dad's Road Runner and put it in my Duster when I was 16.It worked fine.No special relay was made or needed for the RR horn to work.

The reason it worked in your duster is if you hooked it to the factory wiring, there ALREADY WAS a horn relay in the car.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/22/09 12:21 AM

Ya think?? I posted because of the other posts saying a "special relay" was needed.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/22/09 12:30 AM

Quote:

Ya think?? I posted because of the other posts saying a "special relay" was needed.

The way I read his post, he's saying he doesn't HAVE the factory horn wiring. Ya think?
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/22/09 02:53 AM

Anyone know where the horn relay mounts and what wires go to it on a 68 runner? Is it under the dash or in the engine compartment?
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/22/09 03:11 AM

Quote:

Anyone know where the horn relay mounts and what wires go to it on a 68 runner? Is it under the dash or in the engine compartment?

In the engine compartment near the horn I think. Don't know if this is a 68,69, or 70

Attached picture 5367661-hornrelay.jpg
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: Wiring for a RR 'meep meep' horn - 07/22/09 09:33 PM

my 70 runner,relay is under the dash,mounted 6" to the left of the ashtray
© 2024 Moparts Forums