Moparts

Installing gas charged rear shocks?

Posted By: polkat

Installing gas charged rear shocks? - 06/28/08 01:16 AM

I'm about to install a set of gas charged rear shocks in my '73 Dart. The axle is up on jack stands (so the springs are at ride level). How do you align the shock mounting holes before cutting the retainer strap? Is there an easy way to do this?
Thanks!
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Installing gas charged rear shocks? - 06/28/08 01:20 AM

Put the stands under the frame ahead of the axle and let the axle hang. Cut the strap and let the shock expand with to the spring plate. Use a floor jack to adjust the axle to the shock if needed.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Installing gas charged rear shocks? - 06/28/08 02:04 AM

after u cut the strap it doesn't shoot out fast...u have time to guide it into the stud...
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Installing gas charged rear shocks? - 06/28/08 02:11 AM

They are not that hard to compress with your hand. If you can install one end first without cutting the strap first great, but after cutting the strap (for smaller packaging) you can collapse the shock by pressing one end on the concrete floor. Install into hole before the shock fully extends. If it fully extends on one end just push with your hand until it fits. The gas there is not to hold the car up but to help control the oil from foaming.

Or just put the jacks under the frame so the suspension is extended and use a jack like ‘Knowsnothing’ stated.

Note you can also collapse the shock by hand and remove the strap without cutting it. This way if it’s too hard for you to overcome while under the car you can try putting the strap on and cut it while under the car.

It’s one of those things where as soon as you start doing the work you wonder why you asked the question to start with.
Posted By: MY340

Re: Installing gas charged rear shocks? - 06/28/08 04:58 PM

Quote:

after u cut the strap it doesn't shoot out fast...u have time to guide it into the stud...

KYB's shoot out pretty fast and laying on my back I couldn't compress them. As mentioned above use a floor jack for alignment of holes.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Installing gas charged rear shocks? - 06/28/08 05:18 PM

Not sure about the A-Body, but ob a B-Body the hard part is removing the upper mounting bolt for the shock. Once the shock is mounted from the upper bolt, cut the wire and guide the lower part onto the shock stud as mentioned eariler.
The shocks are stiff, but not that hard to compress by hand.
Posted By: polkat

Re: Installing gas charged rear shocks? - 06/28/08 05:23 PM

Thanks guys. It went pretty easily. Guess it was a question that I didn't really need to ask.
© 2024 Moparts Forums