Moparts

Will JB Weld live in this application?

Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 06:25 AM

I'm gonna try it & I believe it will be fine, but a buddy of mine insists it's gonna fail.. What do you think...

Attached picture 5357986-Valvecoversmall004.jpg

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 06:26 AM

What I've done is epoxy these into my valve covers..

Attached picture 5357988-nuts.jpg

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 06:27 AM

So I can mount baffles...

Attached picture 5357989-Valvecoversmall006.jpg

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 06:30 AM

So the breather & PCV have proper baffles

Attached picture 5357992-Valvecoversmall005.jpg

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 06:31 AM

PCV

Attached picture 5357993-Valvecoversmall008.jpg
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 06:55 AM

Sure will make a neat noise if the JB weld does fail and that baffles falls onto the rocker arms

Don't you think tig welding some little 'pegs' onto the valve cover would have been a more permanent fix?

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 07:02 AM

On the one side I agree & I considered it, but the material is cast & fairly thin.. I wouldn't try welding it myself but my buddy who is insisting it will fail is an absolute artist with the TIG.. But I've known of racers using JB Weld in much more stressed areas with no problem.. And I felt by usiing the "T"nuts I have plenty of surface area & I roughed up the back of the "T"nuts pretty good... The cast aluminum I left raw other then cleaning throughly...
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 08:09 AM

Quote:

I'm gonna try it & I believe it will be fine, but a buddy of mine insists it's gonna fail.. What do you think...

I know it will work. I have some of those Cal Custom valve covers and they didn't come with baffles. I just have some chincy sheet metal screws that barely grab into very shallow casted holes held in by JB Weld.

Been that way since about 1994. With the stout suspension and cruising at 3800 RPM for 40 hours across country they have never vibrated loose.

Now about every other nut and bolt on the car has managed to loosen itself in the meantime. But those dumb baffles have stayed in place. My front spring eye nuts loosen all the way up about in a years time.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 10:50 AM

I would have tig welded in alumminum standoffs and used mounting bolts with saftey wire. Those little screws could do alot of damage if one comes loose. You could still safety wire and at least if something came loose it would all stay together.

Don't all the holes in the baffle kinda of defeat the purpose.
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 11:51 AM

tack the baffle in all four corners and your done

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 12:10 PM

Quote:

tack the baffle in all four corners and your done

It'd be tough to clean the valve cover thoughly if you could not get the baffle out exspecially if there was some kind of failure.

FWIW I have drilled through the valve covers to mount baffles, doesn't look as nice but at a glace I could tell all my bolts were in place and it didn't leak.
Posted By: whitemtnelf

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 12:24 PM

My father had a boat with an old 40hp Evinrude outboard. He stripped the threads on one of the cylinders and decided to give JB weld a try. I tried telling him to use a heli-coil instead but once the old man decided something that was it. I thought for sure that he'd have a 50mm round flying as soon as the motor started. But to my surprise it held for many hours of use. Moral of the story - I'd be real comfortable with your use.

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 03:30 PM

Quote:

I would have tig welded in alumminum standoffs and used mounting bolts with saftey wire. Those little screws could do alot of damage if one comes loose. You could still safety wire and at least if something came loose it would all stay together.

The screw I'm actually gonna use are stainless steel allens with a nylon insert so they don't loosen unless you want them to...

I actually feel all the little holes are gonna help improve drainage.. They started live as nailer plates for reinforcing wood construction, I've had them laying around for a few years & they were close to the right size..
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 05:44 PM

Quote:

What do you think...

Looks good to me...
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 06:05 PM

Another vote for JB Weld working just fine.

Planning to do some framing under there someday?

To answer your next question, I think PT would work better in that environment than plain Doug Fir...

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 06:17 PM

Doug Fir would be better to support the rocker shaft though...

I wonder if Simpson Strong-Tie would have motorsport support for you?

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 06:33 PM

Quote:

Doug Fir would be better to support the rocker shaft though...

I wonder if Simpson Strong-Tie would have motorsport support for you?

So I should probably just scrap the one I carved out of Oak...E...

As far as Support goes, I'm more likely to get support from Homer Simpson...

Attached picture 5358791-your_image.png

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The screw I'm actually gonna use are stainless steel allens with a nylon insert so they don't loosen unless you want them to...

I actually feel all the little holes are gonna help improve drainage.. They started live as nailer plates for reinforcing wood construction, I've had them laying around for a few years & they were close to the right size..

I hear you, I love to use what I got laying around too.

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 07:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have holes in mine. Filing it with oil is a pain.

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 07:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have holes in mine. Filing it with oil is a pain.

That is exactly what I remember about trying to fill with the early stock covers & why I thought the little holes would help... The good news is we all understand the need for baffles, something the companies making most aftermarket covers seemed to forget about...

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 07:20 PM

Quote:

That is exactly what I remember about trying to fill with the early stock covers & why I thought the little holes would help... The good news is we all understand the need for baffles, something the companies making most aftermarket covers seemed to forget about...

Even with baffles mine still pukes oil. Maybe that has something to do with that 16 year old re-ring job the standard bore.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 07:23 PM

Quote:

Even with baffles mine still pukes oil. Maybe that has something to do with that 16 year old re-ring job the standard bore.

Nope. Comes from too much negative camber.

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 07:23 PM

Quote:

Maybe that has something to do with that 16 year old re-ring job the standard bore.

Or maybe from the lack of building materials in it.

Maybe some CDX sheeting as a baffle..

Re: Will JB Weld live in this application? - 07/17/09 07:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe that has something to do with that 16 year old re-ring job the standard bore.

Or maybe from the lack of building materials in it.

Nope, got that covered. My seat brackets my dad made to fit the Toyota bucket seats are made of oak on a radial arm saw. They are contoured to the floor. After a while I thought it sat too low. Solution... some scrap 1x1's and longer bolts on the drivers side. Keep the passenger side low for tall people.

Attached picture 5358940-CopyofPICT2033.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums