Moparts

BB cast crank flywheel balancing question

Posted By: HemiStan

BB cast crank flywheel balancing question - 07/16/09 11:21 AM

Hello. I am going to drop my flywheel off to the machine shop this afternoon and I just want to verify a couple of things before I do.

A. This is the correct drawing for balancing a regular flywheel for use with a cast crank engine?
B. This drawing will work for either 10.5 or 11 flywheels? (I have an 11 inch)

Thanks!

Stan

Attached picture 5355770-440Castflywheel.jpg
Posted By: RBDART1

Re: BB cast crank flywheel balancing question - 07/16/09 12:20 PM

As long as the balance[weights] matches whatever engine you are using
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: BB cast crank flywheel balancing question - 07/17/09 02:30 AM

Since the weight removed by drilling is a specific distance from the center of the wheel, it doesn't matter what the outer diameter is.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: BB cast crank flywheel balancing question - 07/17/09 02:37 AM

If you are a math whiz (this deal takes trig ) and with a drill press and that large bit and a depth mike w a point you would be able to pinpoint the locations & do it your self if you were so inclined.
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: BB cast crank flywheel balancing question - 07/17/09 09:42 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:

If you are a math whiz (this deal takes trig ) and with a drill press and that large bit and a depth mike w a point you would be able to pinpoint the locations & do it your self if you were so inclined.

I have actually thought about doing it myself but there is a machine shop in town that just came under new management. I have been looking for a "good" machine shop because I seem to have a pile of different parts that I need some work done to. This flywheel is going to be a "test". Depending on how they do with it will determine if they get any more of my stuff.

Stan
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: BB cast crank flywheel balancing question - 07/17/09 12:15 PM

Quote:

I have actually thought about doing it myself
Stan

Have them save their trig figures & give them to you that way if you do one of these 'wheels again you will have that info at your disposal
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: BB cast crank flywheel balancing question - 07/17/09 02:28 PM

Who needs trig.

Draw it up in CAD and print a full size paper template. glue it to the surface and use it to mark and drill the flywheel. That drawing would take less than 10 minutes with the rest of the dims.

I do stuff like that all the time.

If the flywheel surface is too irregular to glue to (it probably is) print it on posterboard or glue it to a piece of thin steel and drill through the steel into the flywheel.

If I had some better dims of the holes I could drop a cad file on you. You should be able to get them printed pretty cheap.

It can be done without the center holes but I like as much detail as possible to prevent mistakes. If anyone has those dims send them too me. I will in return give everyone a CAD file of the drawing.

I will try to I will see if I can find them in my old books.

Here is a pic of a mockup posterboard mount I made. Plotters will easily print on poster board and just cut it out.

Here is a picture of the same mount glued to a cheap piece of metal to form a temp mount just for fun. I just cut and drilled along the dotted line. The final one will be made from 1/8" steel not a cheapo computer case.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: BB cast crank flywheel balancing question - 07/17/09 07:15 PM

I see no need for either trig or CAD for the layout, a 6" scale and a protractor are all that's needed.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: BB cast crank flywheel balancing question - 07/18/09 12:52 AM

Quote:

I see no need for either trig or CAD for the layout, a 6" scale and a protractor are all that's needed.

That's too easy...

Where is the fun in that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums