Moparts

REMOVING TIRES FROM WHEELS

Posted By: Magnumguy

REMOVING TIRES FROM WHEELS - 07/15/09 02:36 AM

Got a set of GT wheels, but want to keep them and sell the GT radials, I want to remove them, but I doubt they've been off the wheels since '78.

What would be a good way to prep them for break down and removal w/o hurting the tire or it's looks?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: REMOVING TIRES FROM WHEELS - 07/15/09 02:43 AM

have a tire shop do them

are they dry rotted/cracked?

you got a tire machine?

by hand with a tire iron and bumper jack using the front of a car to break the bead down with the foot of the jack

make sure you mark the direction of the tire and what corner they came of,for the new owner of old tires

Re: REMOVING TIRES FROM WHEELS - 07/15/09 02:49 AM

Not rotted at all. I was wondering if there was some way to "prep" them for removal.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: REMOVING TIRES FROM WHEELS - 07/15/09 02:53 AM

maybe wash them with simple green a couple good times,that gives the a good dry rubber look and brightens up the white letters

dont know what else can be done other than do it gently on the tire machine,use a vertical arm machine on them if possibale

Re: REMOVING TIRES FROM WHEELS - 07/16/09 03:48 PM

Anyone else?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: REMOVING TIRES FROM WHEELS - 07/16/09 03:51 PM

Quote:

Got a set of GT wheels, but want to keep them and sell the GT radials, I want to remove them, but I doubt they've been off the wheels since '78.

What would be a good way to prep them for break down and removal w/o hurting the tire or it's looks?

the tires are junk. Who's going to buy tires that old??? UNSAFE

Re: REMOVING TIRES FROM WHEELS - 07/16/09 06:06 PM

I don't know, but it seems like someone folk do. Trailer queens I guess prefer originals, as they never see much, if any, driving
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: REMOVING TIRES FROM WHEELS - 07/16/09 06:11 PM

Soak em with tire lube on both sides. That way there lubed for when they break the beads and less likely to damage those old tires.

I agree though, I would never run em on my car being that old. 31 years old?

And I'd be afraid to sell em, because if they failed the buyer is not gonna be happy with you.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: REMOVING TIRES FROM WHEELS - 07/16/09 06:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the tires are junk. Who's going to buy tires that old??? UNSAFE

For sure unsafe!!! You need to take them to a tire shop - after you take a big knife and slice open the side walls.
© 2024 Moparts Forums