Moparts

Those ugly body trim clip holes

Posted By: Mickey Mikie

Those ugly body trim clip holes - 06/26/08 08:10 PM

What's the best process for filling these holes? I suppose many have just filled with plastic filler, but I want to do something more permanent.

I've been thinking about placing large-headed steel nails through the hole from the inside and brazing them in place and using a cutoff wheel to remove the nail shank.

Is there a slicker way?
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Those ugly body trim clip holes - 06/26/08 08:12 PM

2 words

tig welder
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Those ugly body trim clip holes - 06/26/08 08:28 PM

One of the common ways to fill the holes is to make a backup out of flattened copper tubing; hold the copper over the backside of the hole and fill the holes with a mig welder.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Those ugly body trim clip holes - 06/26/08 09:11 PM

I bought one of THESE from Eastwood to fill some holes in the engine bay, has worked great so far

Posted By: Moonraker

Re: Those ugly body trim clip holes - 06/26/08 09:42 PM

Quote:

What's the best process for filling these holes? I suppose many have just filled with plastic filler, but I want to do something more permanent.

I've been thinking about placing large-headed steel nails through the hole from the inside and brazing them in place and using a cutoff wheel to remove the nail shank.

Is there a slicker way?

You could braze them but you might warp the bejesus out of the panel. The best way is to mig or tig weld them shut for a permanent solution. If you do a little at a time and move around to different holes you wont warp the body panels. Depending on the diameter of the holes I have also used a nail gun for pulling dents to "weld" the pulling nails in place over the hole and simply grinding it down flush with the panel, seen lots of guys do this to works great.
Posted By: closer9

Re: Those ugly body trim clip holes - 06/26/08 09:50 PM

Quote:

One of the common ways to fill the holes is to make a backup out of flattened copper tubing; hold the copper over the backside of the hole and fill the holes with a mig welder.

That's is how my friend did mine...

Posted By: BDW

Re: Those ugly body trim clip holes - 06/26/08 10:04 PM

Quote:

I bought one of THESE from Eastwood to fill some holes in the engine bay, has worked great so far

How exactly does this work? What do you do?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Those ugly body trim clip holes - 06/26/08 11:17 PM

Never seen one before either.

Let me guess; The magnetic base sticks to the sheetmetal and you can adjust the angle and tension of the copper end with the knob above the magnet. This tool creates a hands free way of filling holes.

Re: Those ugly body trim clip holes - 06/26/08 11:25 PM

Quote:

Never seen one before either.

Let me guess; The magnetic base sticks to the sheetmetal and you can adjust the angle and tension of the copper end with the knob above the magnet. This tool creates a hands free way of filling holes.

Ding Ding Ding...give that man a prize (for reading the link I posted )

That is it..and the magnet is surprisingly strong for it's size
Posted By: Neil

Re: Those ugly body trim clip holes - 06/26/08 11:34 PM

Actually I didn't read the link . Just pure tool guy instincts at work.

Re: Those ugly body trim clip holes - 06/26/08 11:50 PM

Good man

You just phrased it like they did is all
© 2024 Moparts Forums