Moparts

What spark plugs are you using?

Posted By: 71GRANCOUPE

What spark plugs are you using? - 06/26/08 05:23 PM

I have been using Bosch Platinum and have had good results -- I am about to replace the old plugs and can't decide to buy them again or try something else. The engine is a stock 318 and is still set up with points.

Any suggestions? I am not planning on changing the points or converting to Electronic at this time.
Posted By: DUFFMAN

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/26/08 05:37 PM

I just run Champions, have been for years without any problems.
Posted By: 2Bad360sfromNC

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/26/08 06:38 PM

I had used Autolites a few times also, but not since they've started making them ovair in Chiner.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/26/08 07:17 PM

i've been using bosch 4036's in both my 440's. seem to be a good street plug for what i'm doing.
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/26/08 08:27 PM

NGK XR5's in my 440
Posted By: Roadcuda

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/26/08 10:40 PM

Quote:

I just run Champions, have been for years without any problems.

Same here. I've never had any problems with them either. In fact at a recent swap meet I found 2 complete nos sets for the Roadrunner and paid 8 bucks, for both sets!
Posted By: snuggles

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/26/08 10:41 PM

I've run autolites for years.
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/26/08 11:49 PM

Just installed some NGK XR5's. Ran Champions, no problem, but the NGKs were in stock this time, and the Champs were a day away.
Posted By: therocks

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/27/08 12:08 AM

If you run Bosch and they run go nuy a lottery ticket.In over 20 years of wrenching everday Ive never seen a car that ran good with those junk.My kid bought a set for the one BB we had because on a Sunday no one had Autolites.The car ran but always had a stumble and just wasnt right.When he sold it we put Autolites in it ran better than a bew car.GMs really run like crap with Bosch.Ive probally replaced a thousand sets that people installed then briught in for rough running misfires and a few that wouldnt even run after a sgort time.To mt Bosch equal trash.Most people buy them because they are priced cheap.Rocky
Posted By: DustyChicken

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/27/08 12:35 AM

Was running Champions in my Cordoba before I pulled the motor. I think the current plugs in my truck are Autolites. Haven't touched them since I bought the truck, except when I checked No. 1 plug for deposits a few months ago.

Had to run Autolites in my Eddy head stroker motor, since the bosses weren't machined large enough for 13/16 plugs, and could only find Autolite 5/8 plugs.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/27/08 01:12 AM

I normally use Denso..which also make the Accel plugs.Good stuff!
Posted By: krw71ragtop

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/27/08 01:27 AM

Quote:

If you run Bosch and they run go nuy a lottery ticket.In over 20 years of wrenching everday Ive never seen a car that ran good with those junk.My kid bought a set for the one BB we had because on a Sunday no one had Autolites.The car ran but always had a stumble and just wasnt right.When he sold it we put Autolites in it ran better than a bew car.GMs really run like crap with Bosch.Ive probally replaced a thousand sets that people installed then briught in for rough running misfires and a few that wouldnt even run after a sgort time.To mt Bosch equal trash.Most people buy them because they are priced cheap.Rocky

I don't understand what he said, but champions work for me.
Posted By: Thread Ender1

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/27/08 01:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't understand what he said, but champions work for me.

Ive always ran Champions 1st and Bosch 2nd never a problem , id put sand in the cylinders before id run AC brand.
Posted By: 65Coronet7165

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/27/08 01:54 AM

Well, based on what I have read on this forum, I bought some Autolite 85's to put in my 67 Chrysler 300 with 440 hi performance. Once I pulled a couple of the Champion J12YC plugs that were in the engine, I noticed the Champion plugs have a MUCH longer insulator nose that sticks into the combustion chamber. The electrode gap on the Autolites was right at the end of the threads without any "nose" that would place the business end of the plug a bit farther into the combustion chamber.

I wasn't sure I liked that, so I got some more Champions and installed them instead. Anyone want to discuss this...the Champions plugs have a longer nose that places the electrode gap farther into the chamber...ImPortant, or Not???
Posted By: 68Bullit

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/27/08 02:12 AM

Quote:

Had to run Autolites in my Eddy head stroker motor, since the bosses weren't machined large enough for 13/16 plugs, and could only find Autolite 5/8 plugs.

Good point. And the 5/8's seem easier to use with headers also. Anybody else making a 5/8 plug besides the Autolites?
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/27/08 02:27 AM

Quote:

Well, based on what I have read on this forum, I bought some Autolite 85's to put in my 67 Chrysler 300 with 440 hi performance. Once I pulled a couple of the Champion J12YC plugs that were in the engine, I noticed the Champion plugs have a MUCH longer insulator nose that sticks into the combustion chamber. The electrode gap on the Autolites was right at the end of the threads without any "nose" that would place the business end of the plug a bit farther into the combustion chamber.

I wasn't sure I liked that, so I got some more Champions and installed them instead. Anyone want to discuss this...the Champions plugs have a longer nose that places the electrode gap farther into the chamber...ImPortant, or Not???

the champion j11y's have a long tip but are no longer availiable. i prefer a plug, and i measure them, with longest projected tip i can get for bb mopars. the bosch 4036 is a little longer than the j11y. i've tried a autolites and have no complaints, haven't tried the ngks. j11y will always be my favorite general purpose plug. the bosch 4036 is a little hotter and seems to burn a little cleaner. as far as the bosch being junk, .
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/27/08 02:58 AM

I run NGK's in all 3 cars.318,383,and warmed over 440.
Posted By: superwrench

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/27/08 05:59 AM

I run NGK's in all our cars......Bosch
AC... Champions....
Never tried any Autolites.....but if they can make a Ford run, who knows!!!

I guess after trying plugs for 40 years I can finally say that the NGK's have NEVER let me down....I cannot say that for any other plug

Ok..OK....shoot me.
Posted By: 76dart

Re: What spark plugs are you using? - 06/27/08 03:28 PM

NGKs
© 2024 Moparts Forums