Moparts

Closing holes in frame

Posted By: whitemtnelf

Closing holes in frame - 07/09/09 02:30 PM

Has anyone sealed up the holes in their frame to stop mice from being able to get in there and make nests?
Posted By: 68X426

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/10/09 05:29 AM

Try some steel wool. It's easy to work into small spots and mice just won't mess with it. Can even paint it I suppose.

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/10/09 12:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about filling them with the spray foam insulation that I use to fill cracks around the house.
Posted By: RedFish

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/10/09 01:02 PM

That stuff will cause it to hold moisture and then rust.

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/10/09 01:11 PM

That was a close one! Thanks for the heads up. How about welding them closed?

The reason I'm pursuing this is that I had huge mice nests in the frames and they stink really really badly.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/10/09 01:44 PM

I would try finding a rubber body plug that would fit in the holes before I started welding.

Have you tried mothballs? I have always put mothballs in an aluminium foil pan and shoved it under the car over the winter.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/10/09 01:56 PM

Quote:

I would try finding a rubber body plug that would fit in the holes before I started welding.

Easy to remove, too.
Posted By: ChinooK440

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/10/09 01:59 PM

I,d use some snap in steel hole plugs if you can find the right size for the holes you want to plug up. Most better hardware stores and industrail supply houses have them in a variety of sizes.
Posted By: 6T6Cuda

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/10/09 05:45 PM

I would not plug all the holes... some of them allow water to get out of the frame, be sure at least one of the bottom holes is clear so moisture can get out...
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/10/09 07:20 PM

Yep, the holes are there for a reason; don't block them. Instead, deal with the mice with mothballs, traps and poison.

Dave
Posted By: cptn60

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/10/09 09:22 PM

Nothing beats a good Cat. Or twenty.
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/11/09 03:15 AM

Well the problem is that mice have a malluable skull and can squeeze their head and a body into holes the size of a dime...wow. They can also chew a hole through concrete if they wanted. So if they want in, they will get in. My suggestion, if parking in a garage, would be to spray the entire floor with bug killer. I did this a while back and see no bugs, no mice, no nothing.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Closing holes in frame - 07/11/09 04:08 AM

The guy I rent winter storage from lets a cat roam around in there, never any sign of mice. As extra protection I also spread drier sheets all over the inside of the car and pour mothballs around the tires. Never any problems yet.
© 2024 Moparts Forums