Moparts

Torqing ARP head bolts w/o moly lube??

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Torqing ARP head bolts w/o moly lube?? - 07/06/09 07:48 PM

I'm trying to torq down a set of 440source heads, their instructions say to go to 60ft-lbs, however I don't have the ARP lube. How tight should I go with just 30w motor oil? The back of the box says I should be in the high 70's but curious if anyone else has done it w/o their moly lube.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Torqing ARP head bolts w/o moly lube?? - 07/06/09 08:27 PM

Why not go get some moly lube?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Torqing ARP head bolts w/o moly lube?? - 07/06/09 08:29 PM

With stock heads ARP says to go from 90lbs with moly to 130 lbs with oil. So I would think you will need to up the torque to what ARP suggests.
Posted By: rdrmod6

Re: Torqing ARP head bolts w/o moly lube?? - 07/06/09 10:24 PM

I am curious about this also. When I went to the speed shop to get the ARP grease they said to just use any moly grease. Sixty ft lbs seems a little light but thats what I will do unless I find out something different.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Torqing ARP head bolts w/o moly lube?? - 07/07/09 04:01 AM

Quote:

Why not go get some moly lube?

I checked around and nobody around here carries the ARP moly lube(gave me the 'deer in the headlights look' and said they have regular engine assy lube) and the instructions with the ARP bolts say to use only their brand lube, and if you can't get their brand lube to use 30w oil but to a higher torq rating. I don't want to have problems from not following their instructions and I want to bolt these heads on tomorrow, not a week from now by the time the lube gets here if I order it online.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Torqing ARP head bolts w/o moly lube?? - 07/07/09 10:41 AM

The ARP web site has torque specs for motor oil as well as moly.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Torqing ARP head bolts w/o moly lube?? - 07/07/09 12:27 PM

Quote:

The ARP web site has torque specs for motor oil as well as moly.

use the oil and do it to that spec
© 2024 Moparts Forums