Moparts

procomp distributor and coil wiring

Posted By: CIB

procomp distributor and coil wiring - 07/06/09 02:25 AM

I bought a procomp dist and coil and need help on the wiring. I understand red wire to + side of coil, I also have a short red wire coming off of main red where might this go? Black goes to -side of coil, I also have a short wire coming off black,where might this go? I have a long wire that goes to 12 volt source. My car is a 65 belvedere, do I bypass resistor or go to ign side with long wire? Also there is an opening on bottom of dist, which I assume is opening to adjustable mech advance,shouldn't there be a cover over this opening?
Posted By: landon1

Re: procomp distributor and coil wiring - 07/06/09 02:54 AM

which distributor do you have? mine was 2 wire hook-up - both wires to coil

Posted By: HealthServices

Re: procomp distributor and coil wiring - 07/06/09 03:14 AM

first what distributor do you have? Pro comp sells a several

Re: procomp distributor and coil wiring - 07/06/09 11:57 AM

I believe a 7000 series. It starts as a two wire, but has the other wires after the plugin.

Re: procomp distributor and coil wiring - 07/06/09 04:31 PM

Then you have a setup similar to landon1 then.

Quote:

I bought a procomp dist and coil and need help on the wiring. I understand red wire to + side of coil, I also have a short red wire coming off of main red where might this go?

So the other you speak of ‘T’s off of the red wire this goes to the keyed power source.

Quote:

Black goes to -side of coil, I also have a short wire coming off black,where might this go?

Again this wire is ‘T’ed off? I would think it would go to your tachometer.

Quote:

I have a long wire that goes to 12 volt source.

So you have three wires that stem off your distributor or just two main wires? Maybe a picture would help. Hopefully landon1 should be able to give some insight since he has the same setup

Quote:

My car is a 65 belvedere, do I bypass resistor or go to ign side with long wire?

Bypass the resistor by removing it. Connect these wires you unplugged together and connect this to you red power lead on the distributor

Re: procomp distributor and coil wiring - 07/06/09 09:53 PM

Thanks for the replys, I think I have it figured out, the onley thing is the opening on the lower part of dist, I assume for adjusting mech advance. Should there be a cover for it? I wouldn't think dust would be good for dist.

Re: procomp distributor and coil wiring - 07/06/09 10:00 PM

I don't think it is a big concern unless you drive in a dusty or wet enviroment.

MSD even sells a vented dist cap for some applications.

Posted By: landon1

Re: procomp distributor and coil wiring - 07/06/09 10:59 PM

i was thinking....maybe you have the same set-up as me, but you have one pigtail coming off of the positive wire and one off the negative wire. could this be for a race car situation where they assume you'll run those wires to a toggle or rocker switch in the car? that's how mine is set-up(toggle + push-button), but my wires run off the coil, not off the distributor wires (same thing)
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: procomp distributor and coil wiring - 07/07/09 03:00 PM

Thanks for posting this. I am installing this in a customer car and neither unit came with any instructions...
Posted By: ridin98ci

Re: procomp distributor and coil wiring - 07/31/16 01:48 AM

I could really use a laymans wiring diagram for this set up......PLEASE
© 2024 Moparts Forums