Moparts

How do you lean out a ThermoQuad?

Posted By: LL340Rag

How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/04/09 02:44 PM

My 340 is running so rich I can't even go near it when it's running. Other than the simple 2 screws how do you adjust the mixture to lean out a thermoquad? It's a 6138S if that makes any difference.
Posted By: MY340

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/04/09 02:54 PM

Mixture screws and idle speed need tuned first. Check timing too.

Lowering height of metering rod tree, change to fatter metering rods and smaller jets would be other ways to lean out a TQ.

Adjust air door opening for leaning out secondaries.

Hopefully your o-rings or jetwells aren't leaking.

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/04/09 02:59 PM

It was just professionally rebuilt so no prob with the carb. It just really needs to be setup for the engine. TKU.

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/06/09 12:23 PM

Any good reference books? The factory manual doesn't help much.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/06/09 12:40 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...hlink:middle:us
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/06/09 12:54 PM

Quote:

Go to the Imperial site and down load it for free!

Something isn't right with your carb. Float level, jet wells, or O rings.
Posted By: fox

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/06/09 03:39 PM

If it is running rich at idle, you don't need to get into the rods / jets.
I'd suggest you start it and look down the primary bores to see if it is dripping. Be VERY careful that it doesn't back fire! Don't touch the throttle as you do this.
If you see it dripping fuel, you found out why it is rich. Now figure out why it is dripping! Float to high, vacuum signal too high from blades to far open, etc.
Posted By: ademon

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/06/09 03:45 PM

ask the guy who rebuilt it if the bowl wells were resealed.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/06/09 03:45 PM

Quote:

It was just professionally rebuilt so no prob with the carb. It just really needs to be setup for the engine. TKU.

Pro rebuilt ? .... depends on who did it. Some of those carb-shops mix parts up on these like you would not believe.

Running really rich ? ...at what rpm?
Posted By: AdamR

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/06/09 05:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Go to the Imperial site and down load it for free!

Something isn't right with your carb. Float level, jet wells, or O rings.

Link ?
Posted By: DEMONSIZZLER

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/06/09 06:24 PM

Quote:

My 340 is running so rich I can't even go near it when it's running. Other than the simple 2 screws how do you adjust the mixture to lean out a thermoquad? It's a 6138S if that makes any difference.

Be sure the carb base gasket is an open center spread bore gasket, not a 4 hole gasket.

Also you can bump up the initial timing two degrees and back off the main idle speed to lean the idle circuit.

You can dial-in the idle circuit by using a vacuum gauge on the driver rear port on the base. You need to adjust each idle mix screw for the highest vacuum reading.

There is also a center adjuster slot at the top of the metering rod tree. You can adjust this screw for the highest vacuum reading also, David.

***pic shows best idle speed adjustment before carb installation or at any point that the main idle speed adjustment is unknown on a stock application*** You want only a square showing at the front edge of the primary butterflies on the idle transfer slot. Hole at the top is where the tip of the idle mix screw ends.

Attached picture 5336501-DSCN1823.JPG
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/06/09 11:28 PM

Link ?

www.imperialclub.com go to the repair section and look for the 1972 TQ repair guide.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: How do you lean out a ThermoQuad? - 07/07/09 12:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Be sure the carb base gasket is an open center spread bore gasket, not a 4 hole gasket.

Really. I would have thought you would WANT the 4 hole gasket. Why is the open one better, David?
© 2024 Moparts Forums