Moparts

Flushing tranny cooler and convertor

Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Flushing tranny cooler and convertor - 07/03/09 12:46 AM

The fellow that rebuilt my tranny says that parts of the clutches that failed could be in both and I should flush them.

How do you flush the cooler?

Filling it up and blowing out with compressed air a couple of times?

For the convertor he is recommending rising out with Varsol and spinning the convertor around a few dozen times and repeating with fluid and again with varsol.

Is this right?
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Flushing tranny cooler and convertor - 07/03/09 01:04 AM

you can get a can of cooler flush that hooks up to the cooler lines or if you have an old electric fuel pump you can use it to run some mineral spirits through them and then blow them out with air. As far as the converter it is a sealed unit and you cant really get them flushed very good without them being cut open and cleaned.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Flushing tranny cooler and convertor - 07/03/09 01:06 AM

As said a can of cooler flush for it and my old shop had a machine to power flush converters but EPA regs put an end to that

Re: Flushing tranny cooler and convertor - 07/03/09 01:09 AM

Quote:

As said a can of cooler flush for it and my old shop had a machine to power flush converters but EPA regs put an end to that

Yeah we had one of those machines also but they didn't even do that great of a job IMO
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: Flushing tranny cooler and convertor - 07/03/09 01:11 AM

should I not trust the convertor? I do have another I could use.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Flushing tranny cooler and convertor - 07/03/09 01:28 AM

Quote:

should I not trust the convertor?

I'd be afraid of it & you have another one & the trans IS freshly rebuilt. No need to be taking unnecessary chances with this much into it
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Flushing tranny cooler and convertor - 07/03/09 04:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

should I not trust the convertor?

I'd be afraid of it & you have another one & the trans IS freshly rebuilt. No need to be taking unnecessary chances with this much into it

Buy a new TC. You don't want any old friction material re-circulating.
Posted By: NAS Backyard

Re: Flushing tranny cooler and convertor - 07/03/09 09:07 AM

Always use a new TQ with a new trans unless you know it's spotless. If you want to flush the system go to Walmart and get 2 gal of cheap Dex Merc, unhook your return line from the cooler, get a piece of hose that will reach a drain pan, have someone start the car. IN PARK,( or Neutral on MOPARS) let the fluid run into pan until it spits, shut off engine, refill, start, purge into pan, repeat, until fluid is clean, run till it spits, drop pan, change filter, refill. I just did it to my Olds last night. It will flush out everything. If you want to get REAL anal, raise the back of car and run through the gears. Good Luck.

Attached picture 5330379-Picture003.jpg

Re: Flushing tranny cooler and convertor - 07/03/09 01:25 PM

a stock mopar valve body does not circulate fluid in park that's why you check the fluid in nuet.
Posted By: NAS Backyard

Re: Flushing tranny cooler and convertor - 07/03/09 03:01 PM

Quote:

a stock mopar valve body does not circulate fluid in park that's why you check the fluid in nuet.

Your right, I forgot about that. My trans guy modified mine to circulate in Park. So I guess you would have to be in Neutral.
© 2024 Moparts Forums