Moparts

Sand in oil pickup... how to remove?

Posted By: thecarfarmer

Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 06/30/09 03:21 PM

My 440 Source swinging oil pickup arrived a couple days ago.

Full of casting sand.

The portion that swings is sand-cast; it wasn't cleaned prior to assembly (assembling the pickup, that is - it never got anywhere NEAR my motor!!!).

Because there are a couple bends in this, I don't see how I can get a brush in EVERYWHERE through the middle of that part.

Any suggestions how I can get every-last-minute-freakin'-particle of crap out of that thing? 'Cause, if I don't KNOW it's clean, it ain't going on the engine. And, this is hanging the project up.

Thanks,

-Bill

Attached picture 5324271-PickupSand01.jpg

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 06/30/09 03:23 PM

darn... wrong pic.

Here's one with the parts spread out (hate these cell phone pics)

Attached picture 5324275-PickupSand02.jpg
Posted By: moper

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 06/30/09 03:45 PM

Cleaning's extra

Try pipe cleaners or the tiny engine brushes... Although if it's stuck to the casting, more may come out as the part heat cycles.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 06/30/09 03:47 PM

Good God, that's horrible.........

As the previous poster says, what you see isn't probably ALL of it...

MB
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 06/30/09 04:22 PM

Posted By: 84Stepside

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 06/30/09 04:25 PM

send it back
Posted By: BRawls

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 06/30/09 04:39 PM

You have it apart, just brush everything you can get to and then flush it out with solvent or water at the highest pressure you can get. Pretty easy fix. Good job checking, a lot of people would just install.
Posted By: CJK440

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 06/30/09 05:55 PM

Find somebody that has an ultrasonic parts washer.

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 06/30/09 06:41 PM

Quote:

Cleaning's extra

Try pipe cleaners or the tiny engine brushes... Although if it's stuck to the casting, more may come out as the part heat cycles.

Moper, THAT'S what I'm afraid of!

I tried running a little brush through it, but because of the size/shape, I'm not comfortable that I got it ALL.

And thanks for the suggestion, Stepside, but the Source hasn't responded to the email I sent 'em yesterday.

In fact, there were three separate issues with this part; this is just the problem that I don't see the immediate solution to.

Other than kiss the purchase price goodbye, and order the Milodon part from Mancini...

Maybe we need a 'BOHICA' (bend over, here it comes again) emoticon.

-Bill
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 06/30/09 08:24 PM

Posted By: goldmember

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 06/30/09 08:29 PM

I'd throw it in the Ultrasonic cleaner.

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 12:58 AM

Hmmm... now, I've got to figure out who's got one.

I wonder about putting some BBs in it and shaking?

Problem is, it's easy to get most of the sand out. It's just not knowing whether or not the last bit came out. Or, is going to come out later.

BTTT for any other ideas, and thanks to all who posted up suggestions!

-Bill
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 01:00 AM

I've got an ultrasonic cleaner,let me know if you cannot find one close by.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 01:20 AM

Quote:

It's just not knowing whether or not the last bit came out. Or, is going to come out later.

Why would you even take the chance by installing it? Is 440 Source going to pay for any repairs if some of that sand make it's way into the pump?

Send it back and find a better source. That's unacceptable.
Posted By: G_T

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 01:49 AM

I wouldn't chance it - even if 440 Source doesn't replace it for whatever reason, I would pitch it and get a new one. It would SUCK to ruin your motor and significantly more $
Posted By: MNobody

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 02:28 AM

No way i would use it, tell them to send you a new one minus the sand
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 02:37 AM

oh but cheaper parts are SOOOOOO worth it...

nothing wrong with China crap
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 02:40 AM

Quote:

No way i would use it, tell them to send you a new one

and a meticulous person such as yourself is always going to be thinking if you got it all out especially once it starts heat cycling. make em exch it(plus you said 2 other issues) or bite the bullet & get a new one. Peace of mind is priceless
Posted By: mr_belvedere

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 05:47 AM

Maybe it could be extrude honed followed by a bath in an ultrasonic tank.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 08:12 AM

take an old sock and pull it through it. It the sock catches on the inside, the sand is inbedded in the metal. Not worth the hassel, call them up and ask for a replacment.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 10:45 AM

there is no way no how that i would be bolting that thing to a new motor. hell i wouldn't be bolting it to an old motor for that matter. thats a disaster waiting to happen. send it back.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 12:04 PM

just remember, if you modify it in any way, they wont accept it back as a return. thats the lesson i learned from another post. ultra sonic cleaning, pipe cleaners, whaatever- they may say your stuck with it if you do anything to it.

i would send it back to them and make them replace it just because of their attitude towards customers. they try to stick the customer all the time and hide behind their warranty statements. its about time the customer make them handle their problems.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 12:09 PM

I'd use the phone and call Brandon. He's a good guy.

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 03:21 PM

I'd like to thank all who posted; especially Goldmember for offering to clean it. I'd take ya' up on that if I were close by, and I'd mail Brandon an invoice for your time.

Since it's been two days since I emailed The Source, I've decided I'll just dispute the charge on my credit card. What they sent is NOT useable; I don't have the ability to repair it myself (not that it should be on me to have to do so), and it's holding this project up.

Mancini, or someone else who sponsors here, will get to sell me a pickup, I suppose. This is silly.

I think I'll start a thread in the general section with a copy of my email to 440 Source detailing what was wrong with this part, and also relate my experiences with the other two orders I've placed with Brandon's company (yes, there were problems both other times).

But, this is a Q&A forum, and I'm getting off topic here.

Thanks again to all who took time to try and shine some light!

-Bill

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 05:33 PM

Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 07:38 PM

now I am wondering if I want to buy the motor mounts and few other things for my BB project

I will be looking for your other post on the subject as well

does this Brandon read any thing here on moparts?

seems he would correct problems to stay in business

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/01/09 09:00 PM

Quote:

Okay Johnahah, how 'bout a picture of a lady painting headers for this project, to go w/ the popcorn and beer?

Go here for all the drama...

-Bill
Posted By: Just Cameron

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/02/09 04:03 AM

Quote:

You have it apart,

And probably voided the warranty by doing so

Quote:

a lot of people would just install.

And let an awesome Fram filter take care of it.

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/02/09 01:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You have it apart,

And probably voided the warranty by doing so

Quote:

a lot of people would just install.

And let an awesome Fram filter take care of it.

I'm surprised the spin miester hasn't chimed in yet ?
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/02/09 02:05 PM

If I wanted an issue settled quickly, I sure wouldn't depend on e-mail to get it done. Do you really think he is sitting there by the computer checking his inbox? The last time I was at 440Source there were a grand total of 2 people in the building, Brandon and his girlfriend. If you think he is dodging your e-mail, try the phone. At least then you will know right away if you're getting jerked around which has not been my experience with Brandon.

Kevin
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/02/09 02:15 PM

Quote:

If I wanted an issue settled quickly, I sure wouldn't depend on e-mail to get it done. Do you really think he is sitting there by the computer checking his inbox? The last time I was at 440Source there were a grand total of 2 people in the building, Brandon and his girlfriend. If you think he is dodging your e-mail, try the phone. At least then you will know right away if you're getting jerked around which has not been my experience with Brandon.

Kevin

but did you ever try and return anything? thats where brandon seems to be lacking in the customer service area (at least, thats what i have gathered by the repeated posts on the subject)

Re: Sand in oil pickup... how to remove? - 07/02/09 03:16 PM

I finally heard back from 'em, yesterday afternoon.

But this is a tech Q&A forum; let's respect that and discuss this on general... let the tech keep bumping to the top on this part of the board.

-Bill
© 2024 Moparts Forums