Moparts

Bonding rubber to metal?

Posted By: justnuts40

Bonding rubber to metal? - 06/30/09 10:57 AM

I'm going to be gluing the rubber to my running boards on my street rod pretty soon and was wondering what type of glue to use that holds, but is easy to work with?
Thanks for any help, Tony
justnuts40@hotmail.com
Posted By: 340wedge

Re: Bonding rubber to metal? - 06/30/09 11:11 AM

I would think the black weatherstrip adehesives. They bond rubber weather strips to metal window channels..
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Bonding rubber to metal? - 06/30/09 11:48 AM

I have a new trunk seal(rubber?) & the pkg also recommends black weatherstrip adhesive
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Bonding rubber to metal? - 06/30/09 11:58 AM

The black 3M weather strip adhesive is not strong enough for the running boards. If your covers are new call the manufacturer and ask them what to use. If there not call a trim shop. 3M does have a spray adhesive for heavier applications that might do the job.
Posted By: maximus

Re: Bonding rubber to metal? - 06/30/09 03:51 PM

I would think the 3M super adhesive that comes in a tube would work. I don't know the part number but we call it Old Yellow. It is yellow in color and will hold strong to about anything. Put some on both surfaces and let it set up for 5 minutes. When you bring them together it will hold firm. Great stuff and have using it for years in the auto industry.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Bonding rubber to metal? - 06/30/09 04:03 PM

I just bought some rubber running board covers a week and a half ago actually from CW Moss here in Orange (for a '32 Ford) and they came with adhesive...it was like a contact cement basically in a metal can (liquid form) I think it was 3M brand?
I've already shipped it off to Oz or I would get a picture of the can for you.
© 2024 Moparts Forums