Moparts

noisy motor

Posted By: 74DS

noisy motor - 06/27/09 11:38 PM

Help ! I have a rattling type sound at idle only .. it sounds like it is coming from the bottom end .. Any suggestions ?

Dave
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: noisy motor - 06/27/09 11:53 PM

Torque converter shield hitting the bolts
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: noisy motor - 06/27/09 11:58 PM

New motor rebuild ???, please tell us about it so that we can have something to go on.

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 12:15 AM

fairly new ... 100 miles on it .. it is a 416 ( 340 stroker ) .. doesn't sound like a rod though ... ? only notice it at idle .. does sound like something is hitting something else .. it does have a windage tray ( Milodon ) and a gear drive ..

Attached picture 5318856-P1010094_compressed.jpg
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 02:07 AM

sound like valve clatter or metal hitting metal?

all that bling and a 2$ chain to hold it down

you need a better torque strap than that

that chain is like lipstick on a pig

nice looking engine though,

verter bolts coming loose maybe?

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 02:12 AM

sounds kinda like metal scraping or rubbing ... Any suggestions for a torque strap ?
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 02:14 AM

The chain will work just as good as anything else. I'm not all that impressed with the name brand rig that I got for mine.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 02:20 AM

At least it's a pretty chain. I've used them. Does the noise change from cold to hot?

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 02:50 AM

no change from hot to cold .. does it only at idle (900rpm) any increase in rpm the noise seems to go away ..

thanks dave
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 05:02 AM

Maybe some of those pulleys are ever so slightly hitting bolt(s). I had some aftermarket pulleys do that, took a grinder to the face of the offending bolts.

As was said, the TC bolts might be hitting, as might a bad stone sheild down there. I had one that was cracked but not aparent until it was removed. As in removed to replace the engine with a junkyard motor I got because I had given up trying to find the noise...
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 11:20 AM

Did you chaeck the rod clearance between the rod bolts and the windage tray???

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 04:33 PM

First off ... THANKS for the replies !! I started checking flex plate to converter bolts .. they seemed ok .. then the bad news .. the flex plate to crankshaft bolts are LOOSE ! I am sure I used locktite on them ?? Next Question ,, will it be easier to remove bolts and slide trans back enough to get to the flex to crank bolts ..or pull motor to get to them ?

Thanks in advance !!
Dave
Posted By: cupcake

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 04:53 PM

i had problems with rod bolt hitting windage
Posted By: buildanother

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 05:23 PM

If you can, pull the trans out so you can see if the flexplate is toast or not.
Posted By: MNobody

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 06:37 PM

I had that happen on my 440 once, i think i removed the torque converter bolts, unbolted the tranny and slid it back. make sure the holes in the flex plate are'nt egg shaped.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: noisy motor - 06/28/09 06:38 PM

hey!,thats what I suggested

drop the tranny

change the bolts and the flex plate,it used now,and most likly worn,IMO

I would put another seal in just cause it was down,the converter moveing around might hurt the seal...might not...dont want to pull it a 2nd time thats for sure

how are the rest of external seals on the tranny?
now would be the time to service it,IMO

good luck
© 2024 Moparts Forums