Moparts

Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap

Posted By: W5Duster436

Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/24/08 01:38 PM

Does anybody know if there are 5/16" caps for sending units?
My car only has a 3/8" fuel line and I purchased a 3/8 sending unit from Mancini and it has a return line fitting on it. I didn't want to stick a piece of hose with a bolt in it etc. and wondered if anyone makes a cap that will withstand fuel?
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/24/08 02:29 PM

I used a vacuum cap on mine. Been working quite well for some time now. No leakage.
Posted By: cjskotni

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/24/08 03:12 PM

I agree, A vacuum plug should be fine. That return line shouldn't be continously subjected to liquid fuel to the point it will "eat it" away. Just check it every year or so for deterioration...
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/24/08 03:19 PM

If you have not installed the new one yet, just weld or solder it shut?

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/24/08 03:26 PM

mine reads off so I might do that when I take it out and bend the arm. It is stainless though so it might be a pain. With the old style venting on mine it does not build up any pressure at all in the tank so the vacuum cap has been good to me.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/24/08 03:53 PM

The return line is a really nice feature to have, it keeps the fuel recirculating and cooler + it allows the fuel pump to operate close to peak efficiency...if there aren't any big concerns about originality I'd consider retrofitting a full return system, it'll make a better car
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/24/08 04:03 PM

if you don't need a return line for fuel cooling purposes then a 5 cent vac cap works good. I don't know what kind of rubber they are made of but if my gas gauge makes a sudden drop I'll know that it wasn't good enough. No problems yet.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/24/08 04:49 PM

As a guy who's been around the block a few times, using a vacuum cap to plug something as dangerous as gasoline lines is playing with fire, no pun intended.

If you are sure you are never going to use the line, and once again, I'm a BIG believer in vapor return systems, solder the thing shut.

WHATEVER you use, envolving neoprene, CLAMP it. If some hot weather/ vent problem/ fuel slosh event should dislodge your vacuum cap, you could have a problem. Don't endanger your expensive classic for a twenty cent cap.

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/24/08 04:53 PM

Quote:

As a guy who's been around the block a few times, using a vacuum cap to plug something as dangerous as gasoline lines is playing with fire, no pun intended.

If you are sure you are never going to use the line, and once again, I'm a BIG believer in vapor return systems, solder the thing shut.

WHATEVER you use, envolving neoprene, CLAMP it. If some hot weather/ vent problem/ fuel slosh event should dislodge your vacuum cap, you could have a problem. Don't endanger your expensive classic for a twenty cent cap.

The cap works fine. Put a hose clamp on it if you want. My car is older so it did not have a canister. If you really want to get cool and creative, splice it into the vent line up high.
The older tanks vented into open air, pressure cannot build up unless something is plugged.

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/24/08 09:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The cap works fine. Put a hose clamp on it if you want. My car is older so it did not have a canister. If you really want to get cool and creative, splice it into the vent line up high.
The older tanks vented into open air, pressure cannot build up unless something is plugged.

I put a cap and clamp on. I just didn't want to throw a few gallons of $5 fuel in there to have it leak overnight because it ate through the cap.
Posted By: mark7171

Re: hack it with a just a fuel filter? - 06/24/08 09:41 PM

cant you just use a 2 outlet return style fuel fitler, with a return line?

just complete the system without a charcol cansiter?

the canister only takes the vapor and changes them back to fuel and returns it via the return line. the fitler would just keep it flowing when needed.
Posted By: Black_Sheep

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/24/08 11:12 PM

Within a year or so the cheap vacuum cap I bought from the "Help" section dissolved and leaked a huge puddle of 110 in the garage. Fuel hose with a bolt in it cured the problem. Sure it's not pretty, but neither is a burned up car or house...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/25/08 02:10 AM

Quote:

Within a year or so the cheap vacuum cap I bought from the "Help" section dissolved and leaked a huge puddle of 110 in the garage. Fuel hose with a bolt in it cured the problem. Sure it's not pretty, but neither is a burned up car or house...

I'm 60 years old, now. I've seen a few things. I've had at least one of those handy, "neat lookin'" little caps pop off a vacuum port on an early morning startup--you know the ones--when the windows are frosty, it's cold, the hood is "snowed" shut, and you're already late for work.

I sure as hell would not trust one of these on a fuel system.
Posted By: VanishPt

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/25/08 10:11 AM

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/25/08 05:12 PM

I will remove it and solder it when I get a chance.

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/25/08 05:13 PM

Quote:

I will remove it and solder it when I get a chance.

Sounds like a good idea to me
Posted By: bigslant6fan

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/25/08 11:03 PM

I agree those cheap multi-colored "vacuum caps" are made of vinyl, not even close to being fuel resistant.
Posted By: ns1aar

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/25/08 11:08 PM

Found a golf tee in mine seems to have worked.

Re: Blocking off fuel sender return line w/cap - 06/25/08 11:10 PM

Quote:

Found a golf tee in mine seems to have worked.

Must be hard to fit under there with the club...

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR....
© 2024 Moparts Forums