Moparts

Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds?

Posted By: donbarnes

Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/25/09 07:54 PM

I'm looking at sending my A-body hi-po factory exhaust manifolds to Jet-Hot this fall for coating, their guy is telling me that on a street car that stays in a garage the coating should last indefinately, never need recoating...Anybody have any experience with this, seems I read an article somewhere once about coating causing the metal to crack?
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/26/09 12:37 AM

I had a local shop do mine (turbo hot) cast color ceramic coating.. been on about 3yrs now... here's a pic when first done.

Attached picture 5315263-rsz_roadrunner383.jpg
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/26/09 12:39 AM

Then after a few years of service...Faded just a little, and lost some of the glossiness, still look like this now.

Attached picture 5315271-rsz_engines_002.jpg
Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Re: Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/26/09 12:58 AM

Had my stock '68 RR manifolds jet-hot coated about 3500 miles and 6 years ago. Still like new.

Good luck,
Frank
Posted By: donbarnes

Re: Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/26/09 10:16 PM

Thanks guys , don't really have $300 to spend on coating, but tired of the rust....
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/26/09 10:26 PM

I had a set of headers done for my 81 shorty 6 years ago. They look good still and a lot less heat under the hood...
Posted By: wkroncke17

Re: Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/27/09 12:14 AM

I bought 1800 degree exhaust paint from Bill Hirsch products. I media blasted mine, cleaned them real well with laquer thinner. I havent painted them yet, but will post on how they turn out.
I read a post on here where someone used this before, and it looked great and lasted a long time!
LINK:
http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EMPT-PINT

If you dont have a blast cabinet, and you're close to SE WI, bring them by, I'll blast them for you.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/27/09 01:48 AM

I did mine with the paint from eastwood. They looked like new manifolds. Had the car 4 years still looked good. Blasted them and cleaned them really good then followed the directions from eastwood. It was a lot cheaper then coating and if marked changing a plug or something easy to touch up.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/27/09 11:27 AM

Also goes on nice with HVLP gun.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/27/09 03:47 PM

Done my last two cars with rattle can high temp from eastwood.

Haven't run this one yet, but the last one looked the same for about 5 years before I sold it.

No rust or flaking. I had the mating surface cleaned up by a local parts shop, then sand blasted and painted them.
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/27/09 04:45 PM

Another vote for the Eastwood high temp coating..I use the brush on type and the pint they sell you is good for 3-4 sets. They WILL smoke on the first start up if you dont oven cure them but that coating last a long time.
Posted By: MoreParts

Re: Coating Factory Exhaust Manifolds? - 06/27/09 06:54 PM

Quote:

Another vote for the Eastwood high temp coating..I use the brush on type and the pint they sell you is good for 3-4 sets. They WILL smoke on the first start up if you dont oven cure them but that coating last a long time.

Ditto on this. I did my first set over 12 years ago and they still look the same. IMO the other set I have that were ceramic coated look better, but more expensive.
© 2024 Moparts Forums