Moparts

A-Body Pitman Arm?????/

Posted By: U_Code_Cuda

A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 01:42 AM

I just tried to replaced my original pitman arm on my 1971 Demon340 and found that the new unit(raybestos #4451008) has a totally different bend and angle to it??????? Did they reconfigure the design from the original Mopar # 3402730 ???????

It seams to have the pivot arm inverted??

Thanks, Steven
Posted By: RokketRide

Re: A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 02:11 AM

Sounds like you got the later A-body part. 73-76 the pivot goes in from the top.

Re: A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 02:19 AM

Will it work the same.....The car has power steering if that matters. Rock Auto lists this part # as the only 1 available.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 02:19 AM

68-72:

73-76:

Info: http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/linkage.shtml

Re: A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 02:20 AM

Quote:

Will it work the same.....The car has power steering if that matters. Rock Auto lists this part # as the only 1 available.

No - you'd need to change the centerlink too:

Re: A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 02:47 AM

Well this has become a problem.......The pic of a 73-76 pitman arm is what I took off but, the other photo is a idler arm right
Anyway I think the power pump might be a later year 1973 so maybe the previous owner changed all of this???? The new pitman arm has a very deep bend and has the pivot facing 180. Do I use a 73 later pitman arm??? When i enter 73 Dart Sport my exact pitman arm comes up. Did he change the drag link to make it work??? I am so confused

Re: A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 02:52 AM

Quote:

Did he change the drag link to make it work??? I am so confused

He must have. Turns out my 70 had the later setup too, replaced at some point after a front-end accident. Just order the later one if that looks like what you removed.

Only reason I had to swap mine to the earlier style was for the drop centerlink of the 68-72 style for header and pan clearance on the 383 I dropped in.

Re: A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 02:54 AM

Quote:

the other photo is a idler arm right

Oops yes - I fixed it above to a pitman pic.

Re: A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 02:58 AM

Bingo, I have a 73 later setup but, how about the drag link, what is the difference between the 2??? So I can check the bends or #'s

Also, the idler arm that came off resembles a early model arm??????? What The F@#$..... would that work properly 73-76 pitman and early idler arm
Posted By: RokketRide

Re: A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 03:03 AM

The pivot holes are tapered, so there is no way they are interchangeable. If you have the later pitman/idler, you definitely have the later c-link.

Re: A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 03:04 AM

That pic i linked shows the later setup abovve, and the older one below. You can see how the 68-72 has more of a drop in the center. If you have the later 73+ pitman arm, you have the later link too.

Re: A-Body Pitman Arm?????/ - 06/25/09 03:09 AM

Also, the idler arm that came off resembles a early model arm??????? What The [Email]F@#$.....[/Email] would that work properly 73-76 pitman and early idler arm

Meaning the new idler arm I ordered looks the same as the one that came off.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums