Moparts

Broken Exhaust Stud

Posted By: 440_ci

Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 09:38 PM

Hey guys i have two exhaust studs broken off in the heads on my 440. I tried drilling for hours but its not really cutting it. Do any of you guys have any techniques or products you like to use when dealing with a really annoying stud? This is the last thing before the engine goes in and its holding everything up so ANY input is greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 09:44 PM

Go to a tool-supply company and get a GOOD set of drill-bits. Your bits are probably dull. Go with a small drill bit first. And use cutting oils.

After the holes are drilled .. use the SQUARE extractors. The other ones are junk.

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 09:46 PM

Okay will do , does anyone recommend any specific type of penetrating oils?

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 09:53 PM

Pen oil ? ... to loosen up the stud in the head? .. that will not work ....unless you want to work-that process for MONTHS !!

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 09:57 PM

LoL o okay nvm that then, but as for the cutting oil what do you like?

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 10:03 PM

The cutting oil brand? ... it has been a while since I have used any and I am out of it me-self. I would just go to that GOOD and well-stocked tool-and-die tool supply store and tell them what you are doing. They should have that there in-stock.

Post what they say ...I need that info because I have 4 sets of heads(8 or so studs) I have to do !

Oh .... Sears has those GOOD square extractors.

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 10:06 PM

8?!?!? i thought these two i had was alot so iell just tell em what i am doing and hopefully they have some good stuff. I will let you know what they tell me and hopefully those 8 you have arnt gonna be too much of a pain. Thanks

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 10:17 PM

Oh ... I have another 4 studs broken on a motorhome motor(but those have EZ access) !! ... and at least those other heads are not ON a motor.
Posted By: black64

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 10:19 PM

How much of the stud is showing? Sometimes you can tack weld a smaller dia bolt to the stud and have something to grab onto to remove the stud. Heat to the stud also helps brake the crud loose on the threads. A few taps with a hammer after heating can help.
Posted By: dodgedartgt

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 10:41 PM

In the past, I have had some success with welding a nut to the broken stud. Clamp/hold an appropriate size nut in place and squirt it full of wire. Now it is a "bolt" and the heat has helped loosen it in the head.,.. sometimes.
Other times the nut has just twisted off and I'm back to drilling, extracting.
Good luck,
Mike Bynum
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 10:43 PM

screw the extractors,,, drill the hole to size and retap. you think you have trouble now,, wait till you break an extractor..

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 11:07 PM

Quote:

screw the extractors,,, drill the hole to size and retap. you think you have trouble now,, wait till you break an extractor..

\

A simple(but somewhat expensive) EDM procedure fixs THAT ...
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 11:41 PM

Last head I had with a broken stud cost $6 from the machine shop why play with it if you don't have to?
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 11:47 PM

guess that would depend on what you mean by "play"
some of us like to do these things. I don't, but some do. never had luck with extractors. Usualy drill and tap , and threadsert when needed.
$6.oo is a good price, don't think that will fly around, but I never checked.

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/24/09 11:49 PM

Quote:

Last head I had with a broken stud cost $6 from the machine shop why play with it if you don't have to?

An EDM for 6 bux ?
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/25/09 01:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

An EDM for 6 bux ?

Don't have a clue how they did it.
Posted By: Bogie

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/25/09 02:27 AM

Quote:

Yep I did that a few weeks ago 2 different small block heads I broke 2 extractors. Never again I will drill and re tap anything I ever do.
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/25/09 11:09 AM

Nobody mentioned it but use LEFT handed drill bits, as it bites it will help work the stud out.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/25/09 11:14 AM

I'd take the head to a shop and have somebody do it. It's one of those things that can go easy or go real bad. If the heads are off (and I wouldn't try if they were on the motor in the car) Just drop them off, have lunch and pick them up.
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Broken Exhaust Stud - 06/25/09 04:34 PM

Weld a nut on it
© 2024 Moparts Forums