Moparts

heard a rattle like clacking noise on 440 ??

Posted By: BobN

heard a rattle like clacking noise on 440 ?? - 06/23/09 01:26 AM

have 700 miles on 440.
hadnt started car for a few weeks and was up on jacks stand in front,
finished up and lowered back on the wheels
fired her up and heard a clacking like a rod.
i had good oil pressure. 40-50psi
my freind came over and he had me fire it up and wasnt there at first but then the sound appear ed and got louder and louder so i knew he was hearing it.
he said not lower motor like arod. more upper motor and sound almost moved around . could not pin point.like possibly alt bearing or power steering pump ,maybe lifter?
when after 8-9 minutes and went away,
i had great oil pressure the complete time.40-50psi, sound did not get louder when he gave it throttle, said a rod would get louder.
thern all was back to normal,
drove it fine 70miles cruise on sunday to a car show and no problem.
a freind said it maybe ut was a lifter needed to bleed up,
all said not to worry. seems fine
??? any idea what may of been that noise and do I worry?
or just drive it like everone says.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: heard a rattle like clacking noise on 440 ?? - 06/23/09 01:30 AM

If it is gone don't worry about it. Probably a lifter. Don't start tearing into it blind.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: heard a rattle like clacking noise on 440 ?? - 06/23/09 04:07 AM

If you can't duplicate the noise, not much you can do. Just keep your eyes and ears open, maybe give it an oil change and take a close look at the oil and filter guts to see if there's any foreign material in there, metal shavings, etc.
Posted By: rexus31

Re: heard a rattle like clacking noise on 440 ?? - 06/23/09 04:37 AM

Exhaust leak?
Posted By: wingman

Re: heard a rattle like clacking noise on 440 ?? - 06/23/09 05:14 AM

Had the same intermittent noise on my 440 when it idled--when I started working on the motor it went away. Then put everything back together it came back!

Turned out it was one of the vacuum-controlled doors on the air cleaner snorkel clattering.

I'd just keep an ear open for the noise to come back and run it in the meantime...
Posted By: NAS Backyard

Re: heard a rattle like clacking noise on 440 ?? - 06/23/09 05:25 AM

If it's an auto, check the torque converter bolts and the flywheel cover, Ask me how I know...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: heard a rattle like clacking noise on 440 ?? - 06/23/09 12:19 PM

Quote:

any idea what may of been that noise and do I worry?or just drive it like everone says.

I'd say bad lifter(or 2). You could ignore it but it'd get on my nerves after awhile. I would bite the bullet & replace them & rebreak in the cam/lifters
Posted By: Harley

Re: heard a rattle like clacking noise on 440 ?? - 06/23/09 04:38 PM

Quote:

If it's an auto, check the torque converter bolts and the flywheel cover, Ask me how I know...

You can ask me the same.
Posted By: psycho_440

Re: heard a rattle like clacking noise on 440 ?? - 06/23/09 07:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You can ask me the same.

yep and mine would go away for awhile and then come back. i guess the flexplate was binding and unbinding. bolts seemed to be tight...but they were to long...DUH!!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums