Moparts

Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please...

Posted By: JonGottaDemonDad

Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/23/08 06:35 PM

I have done my best to remove all grease from the k frame of the demon. There is currently a combination of paint and bare metal. Getting ready to paint it with chassis black from Eastwood and looking for some advice from guys that have experience using Eastwood chassis paint.

Should I epoxy prime, paint over bare metal or use rust converter on the k frame?

I can do any of the above just looking for best success..

Also have you sprayed on the chassis paint or did you use a brush?

Thanks for you advice...

Craig
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/23/08 06:42 PM

I've used thier chassis paint a few times, and just got some more to do my Torana..I've always just used it in the spray can.

You can use it right over bare metal as well , just be sure and don't get anxoius and let it dry all the way before using the part.

If you do decide to use it over primer, they sell a primer made just for it as well.

Per Eastwood..
Works great over bare metal or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, or Eastwood Chassis BlackŪ Primer
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/23/08 10:29 PM

I do like using their converter underneath it. That is a little more corrosion protection. Also, there is a noticable difference btween their chassi black and Extreme Chassis Black.

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/23/08 10:35 PM

yea.. I did not realize the availability of the extreme chassis black until after I received the chassis black. The cost was only a few dollars more but not worth sending back and paying for shipping will use extreme next time.

how about application spray or brush?

Craig
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/23/08 11:53 PM

Spray everything, whenever possible.
Posted By: KARLN

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/24/08 12:48 AM

I used rust encapsulator as my primer and chassis black on my K-member. I used a brush and it still turned out great.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/24/08 12:52 AM

Quote:

Spray everything, whenever possible.

If you have a spray gun, spray it. On a big piece like a k-member, doubly so.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/24/08 12:59 AM

You can use it over bare metal and old paint.It could lift around the old paint but I don't think it will. Biggest thing is, you cannot recoat. It will lift. So be sure you got all angles and surfaces the first time because if you recoat the next hour, day or week it will lift. The new stuff is not supposed to do that. Good luck.

(quote)
I can do any of the above just looking for best success..

PS did you try pressure washing that thing at the car wash? Works pretty good with a little gasoline pre-treatment before hand.

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/24/08 05:07 PM

so for clarification are you saying only only one coat?

There is a sticker on the top can that says wait 24 hours until applying 2nd coat.

Thanks,

Craig

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/24/08 05:41 PM

I've put a couple coats on at the one time, and a couple weeks later blown in areas that I scratched and never had any problems
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/24/08 08:44 PM

Quote:

Works pretty good with a little gasoline pre-treatment before hand.

Works great! Used to do it all the time at the local car wash until the owner caught me...

Got the chewin' of a lifetime but explained it away as "a little gasoline must've spilt in the back of the truck..."

He didn't buy it.

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/24/08 08:45 PM

Gas costs more then degreaser now though..
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Eastwood Chassis Black on K frame.. advice...please... - 06/24/08 10:37 PM

Quote:

I've put a couple coats on at the one time, and a couple weeks later blown in areas that I scratched and never had any problems

I used a bunch of it on my last rebuild and had problems with it lifting after I applied a second coat. Then I read the can and it said not to recoat. But I'm sure the a window where you can't recoat and I'm sorry if I spread bad info.
I have recently bought some of the new ultra paint to use here soon and I remember Eastwood saying it won't lift on recoat?
© 2024 Moparts Forums