Moparts

Removing steering linkage ???

Posted By: RylisPro

Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 02:09 AM

how do you remove a stuck steering linkage?
I trying to remove my oilpan from my small block
but that big dumb bar is in the way

sprayed it with WD-40 already but it won't budge
the passenger side popped out easy when I hit it

but the driver side is stuck
don't want to hit it anymore with a hammer because it starting to mess up the threads

any ideas?
just tired and frustrated...

thanks
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 02:13 AM

Hit the link with a hammer, a big hammer, not the threaded parts.
Jim
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 02:15 AM

pickeled fork....
Posted By: 7TDuster

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 02:20 AM

Agree. With a pickle fork it should pop right off and not hurt anything.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 02:39 AM

I did this very job just today! Swapped a stock 360 pan for a 8qt Milodon.

I used a tool like this. Was about $15 and works great. A pickle fork will work too, but I find they usually destroy the boots.

The front 2 bolts in the oil pan are fun to get out. You may have to loosen your motor mounts and pry the engine up a little to wiggle the pan out.

Attached picture 5307138-OTC7315TieRodRemover.jpg

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 02:46 AM

Quote:

The front 2 bolts in the oil pan are fun to get out. You may have to loosen your motor mounts and pry the engine up a little to wiggle the pan out.

Ha ha! Did that also!

where do you get that tool?
got a part number?
was thinking about the pickle fork but thought they would mess up the boots

thanks
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 02:51 AM

I bought it at Princess Auto, which is similar to Harbour Freight in the US. Napa or other parts stores might have them as well. I think they're just called a Tie Rod Remover or Removal Tool
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 02:53 AM

yes get that puller. you will use it many times. A pickle fork will most likely tear the boot & I prefer to avoid the bfh unless absolutely neccessary.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 02:56 AM

You smack the side of the centerlink. The shock will break the taper loose. Put the castle nuts backward over the threaded taper ends to protect the threads and protect the castle slots on the bolts. That will give you a bigger target to hit.

But whack the sides of the centerlink ends HARD and at different angles to shock it loose. Pressure from a pickle fork helps, but like you said will mess up the boots.

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 03:04 AM

Quote:

whack the sides of the centerlink ends HARD and at different angles to shock it loose.

I called autozone and they have a tool to rent tomorrow morning,
if that doesn't work I'll take my anger out on the center link

thanks
Posted By: dave571

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 04:32 AM

Quote:

You smack the side of the centerlink. The shock will break the taper loose. Put the castle nuts backward over the threaded taper ends to protect the threads and protect the castle slots on the bolts. That will give you a bigger target to hit.

But whack the sides of the centerlink ends HARD and at different angles to shock it loose. Pressure from a pickle fork helps, but like you said will mess up the boots.

That's how they do it in the trade. Just beat the side of the tapered joint untill it pops out.

No contact with the threads, and no damage to the boots.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 04:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

whack the sides of the centerlink ends HARD and at different angles to shock it loose.

I called autozone and they have a tool to rent tomorrow morning,
if that doesn't work I'll take my anger out on the center link

thanks

Even with the tool you've have to hit the side of the centerlink. Just not as many times and not as hard. Make sure to clean, inspect, and lube the thread of the tool you rent.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Removing steering linkage ??? - 06/22/09 11:32 AM

That and if you were beating on the threads you better try and put the nut on.Thats a quick way to screw them up.Ive torn thousands of frt ends apart at home and work.Either used the hammer on the side or my pickle fork.Very seldom messed up a boot just have to be careful using them.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums