Moparts

73 Challenger dash speaker - what size and where to get

Posted By: MoparKansas

73 Challenger dash speaker - what size and where to get - 06/20/09 04:12 AM

I am re assembling my dash and forgot about the speaker. What size do I need and who makes one?
Is there any special bracket I need? This is the single speaker dash. I know my Satellite had a special bracket, but my mind has gone blank on this one...
Posted By: BDW

Re: 73 Challenger dash speaker - what size and where to get - 06/20/09 11:18 AM

I seem to remember them being an odd size, 4x10 I think.

Ebay would be your best bet.

No special bracket needed.

If your worried about originality

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: 73 Challenger dash speaker - what size and where to - 06/21/09 01:36 AM

It is a 4 x 10. Originals show up on Ebay but usually need re-coning. Not a lot of great re-coners out there. There is no bracket used, it screws right to the dash frame. Crutchfield has brand new ones for sale. If you have an old time style electronic supply store around you (NOT Radio Shack) check them out. I bought one locally at Fistells in Denver. They had one more on the wall but that was a year ago.
Craig
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: 73 Challenger dash speaker - what size and where to - 06/21/09 03:46 AM

I highly recomend the 4x10 from turnswitch.com .
It is available with a small magnet,like original, so there is no issue with clearance, and it's 8 ohm so it will not burn up your original radio like the 4 ohm replacement speakers will.

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 14 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955
Posted By: MoparKansas

Re: 73 Challenger dash speaker - what size and where to - 06/22/09 06:52 PM

Thanks all. If the radio doesn't fire up, I'll be sending it to you for refurbishing Big Money Lewis. The one I bought supposedly works, but we will find out....
Posted By: ResQ911

Re: 73 Challenger dash speaker - what size and where to - 06/25/09 12:56 AM

I made a plate and used two 3.5" JL Audio 8 ohm speakers wired for stereo. I think it souded alot better than the 4x10. A bit less bass but really clear.
© 2024 Moparts Forums