Moparts

msd ignition

Posted By: cornet684me

msd ignition - 06/19/09 02:50 AM

i am putting a msd blaster box on my 68 coronet, i am putting under the dash , i want to keep my original wires in place, i currently have mopar electric ign. with a chrome box , has anyone done this, i want the original in place and ready for backup use in case something goes wrong with the msd box,
does anybody have any ideas and pictures wld be great.

thanks
Posted By: mark7171

Re: msd ignition - 06/19/09 03:29 AM

It will buzz.

I trust my MSD box. Never had one fail on the highway, they are a military grade, expect extreme life span..
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: msd ignition - 06/19/09 03:36 AM

Quote:

does anybody have any ideas

You'd have to compare their wiring diagrams & wire in toggle switches to open all the MSD leads and switches to energise the MP setup.
Posted By: FrankenScamp

Re: msd ignition - 06/19/09 03:38 AM

Quote:

It will buzz.

Why's it do that? mine does too. At 1st I thought I wired my fan "on" all the time or something.
Posted By: moparman89

Re: msd ignition - 06/19/09 03:59 AM

i dont suggest putting it under the dash. It will buzz and will get annoying.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: msd ignition - 06/19/09 05:57 AM

I'd run two msd systems if you are going to run two systems with one as a backup. Look at the Circle track guys they run two systems. With a single-pole, double throw transfer switch, two msds, two coils and one of these

You will have basically two systems and one pick up. One goes bad just flip the switch.

If you need two pickups they make a dual pickup distributor for the mopar maybe you can rig something for that too.

here..

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Distributors/83923_instructions.pdf

Here is the diagram to run with just one pick up.

I guess you can run it with the stock ignition, you just need a way to isolate both the start signal and the run signal. Maybe use a double pole single throw switch.

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedfiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Coils/8210_instructions.pdf

Re: msd ignition - 06/19/09 07:44 AM

If you really want to run two ignition systems one MSD and one Factory try this.

Click picture for larger view then click pop up for a even larger view.

Someone please double check my wiring as I just did this around midnight, Thanks.
Posted By: AZ-Nick

Re: msd ignition - 06/19/09 02:06 PM

good info

Re: msd ignition - 06/20/09 01:16 AM

i really do not want to run 2 systems , i want to unplug the factory system and leave it there, then plug in the msd, if something happened, i could just plug the factory up? and the bluzzing sound, you mean if i put this msd under the dash , i will here it when the car is running?
my 440 , headers and flowmaster is pretty loud already.

Re: msd ignition - 06/20/09 01:21 AM

I don't hear the buzing in mine but I have a TTI exhaust.

As far as your other concern if you don't want a switch just carry a extra coil ignitor and ballast.

The hook up I wrote up, is actually very simple and not as complicated as it appears. you could even wire two stock ignition setups this way.

Re: msd ignition - 06/20/09 01:25 AM

i guess it wld be easier if i knew what the heck was doing, thanks for the digram, it does look like i could do that if i took my time,
thanks for the help

© 2024 Moparts Forums