Moparts

440source mini-starter terminal clearance

Posted By: jensenguy

440source mini-starter terminal clearance - 06/19/09 12:35 AM

Im finally getting back to trying to install this new mini-starter on my 440. I notice that the battery positive stud (w/nut) on the starter is less than a 1/4 of an inch away from the block - probably would be around 1/8 of an inch with the cable installed. Oh and this is with the terminal extension removed - that would in no way fit.

Now in my experience, a main battery positive cable is something I want to keep away from a large grounded chunk of cast iron. Are these mini-starters really made this way? If so, can someone give me any ideas on how to try to insulate this connection?

thanks
Posted By: wingman

Re: 440source mini-starter terminal clearance - 06/19/09 01:25 AM

I cut a 3/8 inch long piece of rubber fuel line. After the + cable and nut are installed and tight, I slip the piece of hose over the top of the starter stud and wedge it against the block.

Simple, cheap, and the rubber hose insulates the stud. 4 years and no problems.

I've heard of guys who run without any insulation at all with no problems either, but this simple fix makes me feel better.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: 440source mini-starter terminal clearance - 06/19/09 01:31 AM

I just stuck a mini starter on my Interceptor, I tossed the connection extension and I seem to have acceptable clearance, but I know some are better than others...
Posted By: Lefty

Re: 440source mini-starter terminal clearance - 06/19/09 01:34 AM

Quote:

I cut a 3/8 inch long piece of rubber fuel line. After the + cable and nut are installed and tight, I slip the piece of hose over the top of the starter stud and wedge it against the block.

Simple, cheap, and the rubber hose insulates the stud. 4 years and no problems.

I've heard of guys who run without any insulation at all with no problems either, but this simple fix makes me feel better.

That's the same way I did it.
Posted By: jensenguy

Re: 440source mini-starter terminal clearance - 06/19/09 02:32 AM

thanks guys, I'll try to find something like that. I am considering doing some soldering and grinding and making a permanently installed positive cable with more clearance, it may work out better for this application. Depends on how bored i get at work.
thanks again!
Posted By: jbc426

Re: 440source mini-starter terminal clearance - 06/20/09 02:21 AM

Quote:

I just stuck a mini starter on my Interceptor, I tossed the connection extension and I seem to have acceptable clearance, but I know some are better than others...

I tossed the extention too, and did some grinding on the remaining tab to maximize the clearance to the block.
Posted By: dave571

Re: 440source mini-starter terminal clearance - 06/20/09 08:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I tossed the extention too, and did some grinding on the remaining tab to maximize the clearance to the block.

tossing the exension is a necessity on a BB with the mini starter
Posted By: CHRGR69

Re: 440source mini-starter terminal clearance - 06/20/09 09:26 PM

Get the mini starter from Robb Mc Performance. PN2005. Unreal clearance.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 440source mini-starter terminal clearance - 06/20/09 10:28 PM

Quote:

The McRobb Starter is a very nice piece but it is three times the money... To keep $200.00 in my pocket I'll deal with a minor inconvience...
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: 440source mini-starter terminal clearance - 06/20/09 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The McRobb Starter is a very nice piece but it is three times the money... To keep $200.00 in my pocket I'll deal with a minor inconvience...

After the second time I replace my stock mini starter I decided I only want to pull this thing out one time.

I got a McRobb starter.

Parts are available for them too on the website.

And he supports Moparts by using ad space on this forum.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post5111743

© 2024 Moparts Forums