Moparts

Coolant leak from header bolts

Posted By: saukvillage

Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/18/09 12:49 PM

Started new 440ci motor for the first time and after after running to about 200 degree I cut the motor off. Started checking for leaks and I notice coolant coming out the header bolt near the fire wall. So, what can be done to fix this problem,
Thanks.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/18/09 12:55 PM

Quote:

Started new 440ci motor for the first time and after after running to about 200 degree I cut the motor off. Started checking for leaks and I notice coolant coming out the header bolt near the fire wall. So, what can be done to fix this problem,
Thanks.

Some guys like to use studs but in many cases when using headers that is not an option.

You need to put sealant on the header bolts. Some guys use silcone, pipe sealant etc...

Also make sure that you have the correct length bolt some header have an extra thick flange on them.

You might want to drain the block to avoid making a mess.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/18/09 12:57 PM

Did you use stainless steel bolts? Pull the studs and put sealant on them. I they aren't stainless they will rust shut.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/18/09 02:45 PM

We use antisieze on them and no leaks.I went back to studs even though the aluminum heads are dry.We use studs wher ever they fit in all our heads.Rocky
Posted By: Mofopar

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/18/09 04:08 PM

Only thing I'd add is to brush the threads clean and spray with brake cleaner before applying the silicone.
Posted By: pleasantk

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/18/09 05:27 PM

Had the same problem last fall on the back driver side. I have studs on mine and after talking to my builder, he recommended running a can of K&W through the cooling system. No leaks since and no issues with temp. Just make sure to follow instructions EXACTLY as written. Want to make sure coolant and K&W don't mix.
Posted By: hunterstroble

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/18/09 05:59 PM

I huse loctite teflon pipe sealant, and Have used studs and bolts. Works great. Studs are better but sometimes you don't have the room.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/19/09 03:25 PM

What's happening here is your are trying to seal a straight thread. That was NEVER meant to be done.

Studs with a shoulder between the 2 threads or...

Silicones is your best option here.

Teflon tape, pipe paste, pipe thread sealant are for lubricating and sealing tapered threads.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/20/09 03:35 AM

Gray high temp RTV, SS bolts
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/20/09 03:41 AM

as said the shouldered stud is the best & can trim the outer(fine thread) end for clearance, only need enough threads for the nut to be flush
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/21/09 02:39 AM

very common problem. Most header bolts break the wall into coolant channel. Wall is very thin in that area. I use a good high temp sealent when ever i install headers.It's nothing to worry about just a pain to do. Make sure you clean the coolant out of hole before you reinstall the bolts with sealent.
Posted By: old340dog

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/21/09 12:18 PM

Will I experiance this problems with my 340 also?We just dropped motor back in yesterday and got headers bolted up. I haven't put any coolant in yet. I'm using Edlebrock RPM performer heads. So should I take the header bolts out at back of motor and put some sort of thread sealant in? Or do all of the header bolts?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Coolant leak from header bolts - 06/21/09 12:33 PM

Quote:

So should I take the header bolts out at back of motor and put some sort of thread sealant in? Or do all of the header bolts?

only the 4 corner bolts are wet on a SB & if the trimmed shouldered studs will work there I would use them(w sealant)& if not I would pump the rad up to 15 lbs of air & see if no leaks(that stant pump kit does come in handy at times) and pull the 4 corners & seal them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums