Moparts

Thermostat or no thermostat ?

Posted By: PAULS_340

Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/15/09 08:12 PM

Is there an advantage to not using a thermostat? I don't need the heater. My '71 340 ran perfect without a thermostat at last weeks HotRod Power Tour ? Can I cause any damage? thanks in advance.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/15/09 08:30 PM

You should run a thermostat on the street. Normally, engines run best at a specific temp ( usually 180 to 200 ). Running on ether side of that range can cause multitides of issues, and none positive. Running a stat will get you in to that most efficient operating range as quickly as possible and help keep you there. Running without a stat will not cause immediate damage - un less you go in to major over-heat ( which can happen ).
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/15/09 09:00 PM

Running no stat, the water passes throw the radiator too fast, not disapating/exchanging heat transfer,.....so you could actualy run hotter,....or in some extreme cases you could run too cool, which isn't good for oil viscosity to properly lubricate and flow through out the engine,....if you feel you must run without a stat, there are "restrictor washers" avaliable, which basically look like a washer, you'll need to experiment with various sized orifices to acheive the desired running temp,....which should be around 190 degress IMHO,....if coolant flow/thermostat opening is a concern, drill a relief hole in the stats base before you install it, 1/16 up to 1/8, max 1/4" dia
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/15/09 10:45 PM

You always want to try to get the motor warmed up quickly with as little load as posibble. Motors wear the most when cold. A thermostat will get the motor up to running temp as quickly as possible
Posted By: twister6

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/15/09 10:52 PM

I agree
Posted By: JonC

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/15/09 11:04 PM

Quote:

Running no stat, the water passes throw the radiator too fast, not disapating/exchanging heat transfer,.....so you could actualy run hotter,...

I don't believe people still believe this old wives tale.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/15/09 11:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Running no stat, the water passes throw the radiator too fast, not disapating/exchanging heat transfer,.....so you could actualy run hotter,...

Yes I can't believe how many people say that. In my 35 years in the auto service field I have never had a car run hotter without a stat. Ron
Posted By: last426

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/15/09 11:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I used to post and post about how this is not true. I finally gave up. The only way it could possibly be true is if without the stat it created cavitation sufficient to slow everything down. I don't think so. Kim
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/16/09 12:06 AM

Quote:

....if coolant flow/thermostat opening is a concern, drill a relief hole in the stats base before you install it, 1/16 up to 1/8, max 1/4" dia

Posted By: racerAL

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/16/09 01:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I used to post and post about how this is not true. I finally gave up. The only way it could possibly be true is if without the stat it created cavitation sufficient to slow everything down. I don't think so. Kim

....no stat here...and no overheating ..or cooling problems either...car idles for 7-10 minutes it might get up to 190 or so,..waiting in staging lanes on a 90 degree day.still no issue..it's never been over 225 even after hot lapping on hot humid day...i run a typical elec. water pump drive and use a cooling fan module out of a honda accord...

Attached picture 5295151-16-140.JPG
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/16/09 01:41 AM

Lot of difference between a race car and a street car.
Posted By: racerAL

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/16/09 01:55 AM

Quote:

Lot of difference between a race car and a street car.

.....your absolutely right, i was responding more to the wives tale about not running a stat and got caught up in that and didn't think about the original post..soooo my is that if he just ran the power tour withOUT a stat,and had no problems,i would say that a stat is not needed on a street car during the warmer months were heating up engine isn't so crucial...
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/16/09 01:57 AM

I don't like going without a stat because of the increased wear when an engine runs cold all the time.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Thermostat or no thermostat ? - 06/16/09 05:51 AM

I run a 160 stat in my 63 and it works good. Car runs about 170 while driving even on a hot day. In traffic at idle it will creep up to 190 if I sit for a good bit idleing. I drive it alot and I just use a stock water pump with a factory fan blade. No electric fan. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums