Moparts

440 question

Posted By: dodgeguy7714

440 question - 06/15/09 06:40 AM

so what happened is i mixed up a couple pistons when i pulled apart a motor i had laying around and for some reason a couple the pistons didnt get marked for location what hole they came out of . so the have the notches to show direction they face to frt of block but does one side of the rod face down .not sure if im asking this right .will i have a problem with oiling if they wind up in the wrong hole left to right bank.i realize the marks go to frt thats a given. a little help please
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 440 question - 06/15/09 11:42 AM

As long as you didn't mix the caps up, and the notches all face forward, it should be okay as long as they're flat top pistons. But, you should pay attention to the big end of rod for correct arrangement of bearing lock tabs and the chamfer areas. The oiling won't be a problem, but the wider chamfers of con rod need to face away from each other on crankpin in most cases. I've taken a few engines apart that had a couple rods in wrong locations that still caused no problem.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: 440 question - 06/15/09 12:40 PM

Rods don't care what side that they are on. Like said above make sure that the pistons are facing the right direction The the big end should be right too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums