Moparts

Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best?

Posted By: frank

Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/12/09 11:47 PM

Putting a new elec ignition in a 69 GTX, 440, 4 speed car. Car is just out from a fresh resto. I normally use the MP Elec conversion kit. I've done this on a couple of cars and all worked good. But for this car I was thinking MSD, 6AL-2 to be exact. Anyone use this unit? Is the MP kit still OK? Engine will be built for @ 550/600 torque. Trying to keep max RPM at 5500. Your thoughts
Posted By: ONEBADBIRD

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/13/09 12:39 AM

Yes somebody tell us.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/13/09 01:49 AM

If this car is truely a resto and want to stay with that. Petronix is one system you can pretty well hide and keep the car looking the same.
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/13/09 02:42 AM

If you like the MP stuff get a chrome box.. if you're more drawn to MSD then fine.. just hide the boxes for a resto-look
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/13/09 05:30 AM

How do you plan on using the car? Much easier to get repair parts for the MP conversion on the fly than the MSD.
Posted By: mark7171

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/13/09 05:55 AM

I like the systems with the starter boost retard . That way I can run 22 intial on a high compression engine. It cranks over like a stock till it gets over 800 rpms.

MSD has a Boost /start timming retard dial that allows you to change the total mechanical timming as you cruise.

great stuff if youknow how to use it.
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/13/09 09:16 AM

MSD hands down
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/13/09 11:51 AM

Go with the Mopar ignition system as OEM. If something goes wrong parts are just around the corner.
This from one of the Mopar mag build ups.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/13/09 12:10 PM

I would want a dist that has easy(ier) access to the springs/curve. An adjustable MP dist w a MP chrome box will work good & if the msd is a higher quality dist I would want to go with that but I am wondering if msd dist are being outsourced over there & if are they less quality now. You said a stock resto & what he said a perronix conversion would look almost stock.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/13/09 08:42 PM

Wow, I can't believe nobody has suggested FBO.

I would usually go with a chrome box and a rebuilt distributor, but I'm building my Jensen and I'll be trying the FBO A688 kit.
Definitely worth looking at, and it looks stock as well...

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/13/09 09:45 PM

Quote:

I would want a dist that has easy(ier) access to the springs/curve. An adjustable MP dist w a MP chrome box will work good & if the msd is a higher quality dist I would want to go with that but I am wondering if msd dist are being outsourced over there & if are they less quality now. You said a stock resto & what he said a perronix conversion would look almost stock.

What is the big deal about changing the advance curve. Most of the time a switch of the springs will do it and it is not somethhing that is done every day or very often. Parts are available about any place. I have done the switch and have talkec to others that have had the same experience that have made the switch to a so called hi performance distributor and box Crane, Msd etc and what did we gain for the money nothing but maybe a rev limiter. We sure didn't et any better. Oh well it is your money. I get kind of PO'd if When I spend that kind of money and gain nothing but the right to say it is "Crane equiped" or I have an MSD distributor. I get asked if it was worth it and my answer is H*** NO it wasn't worth it and wouldn't do it again now that I know better.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/14/09 04:48 AM

A pro-comp ready to run distributor. Cheap, no ecu required, easy two-wire hookup and many moparts members are running them.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/14/09 06:17 PM

Quote:

MSD hands down

I agree.. M.S.D...and if you do go mopar make sure you carry a spare everything in the trunk
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/14/09 07:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

MSD hands down

I agree.. M.S.D...and if you do go mopar make sure you carry a spare everything in the trunk

HEY!!!!!

My all MoPar ignition works fine year after year in my motorhome.

YOUR Ford truck is on fire as we speak on the other hand....

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/14/09 08:13 PM

Talk all you want about Mopar iggnitions but in over 40 years running with older Mopars have yet to have one go south on me. Some even sit idle for 6 months out of the year and fire right up in the spring. If one of them died on me tomorrow I wouldn't complain about thier servicability. They have served me well.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/14/09 08:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MSD hands down

HEY!!!!!

My all MoPar ignition works fine year after year in my motorhome.

YOUR Ford truck is on fire as we speak on the other hand....

No,but it is due for an oil change..

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/14/09 08:57 PM

I have seen plenty of MSD products fail on both street and strip cars. I don't know that I would write off the MP kit because of failure since the MSD is just as likely to fail. I have seen 6AL, Didital boxes, and others break down just like the Mopar stuff does.

And I'm a MP part hater as much as anybody
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/14/09 08:58 PM

If your gonna keep the rev's to 5500 then do what mother mopar recomends. the orange box. They work just fine. The other boxes were designed for higher rpm's and not recomended for constant running. I've been useing them for years and never had a problem. I just ordered a new one from Summit for my GTX. As stated above Crane,MSD fine for bragging right's but don't do any better on the street.
Posted By: frank

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/15/09 12:41 AM

Ya, I've never had any problems with the MP stuff in any of my cars. I went all the way with this car as far as body work and paint and was thinking maybe something with a little more pazzaz than a stock type electronic upgrade. The engine will not rev high but will make a lot of torque. Gonna dump a lot of $ into this 440 and do it right just thought maybe an MSD might "look better" if that makes any sense. Appreciate everyones opinion
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/15/09 01:35 AM

I would and do use a MP distributor with a chrome box, that chrome box was bought in 1984 for my Fastback and is now running strong on my Dart. I have seen a few of the Orange boxes fail the last couple of years so I would steer clear of them. Like everything on our cars my results may vary from yours. Good luck.

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/15/09 01:37 AM

I have had good luck with Petronix in the past. If you are looking for some wow factor when the hood goes up then I would say the MSD or similar might add some appeal
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Upgrading to electronic ignition - what's best? - 06/15/09 01:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What is the big deal about changing the advance curve. Most of the time a switch of the springs will do it and it is not somethhing that is done every day or very often. Parts are available about any place. I have done the switch and have talkec to others that have had the same experience that have made the switch to a so called hi performance distributor and box Crane, Msd etc and what did we gain for the money nothing but maybe a rev limiter. We sure didn't et any better. Oh well it is your money. I get kind of PO'd if When I spend that kind of money and gain nothing but the right to say it is "Crane equiped" or I have an MSD distributor. I get asked if it was worth it and my answer is H*** NO it wasn't worth it and wouldn't do it again now that I know better.

don what blows about the MP dist , at least untill they started having mallory make them is the 30 DEGREES of mechanical advance that is a pain to change , ie: WELDING the slots closed , full disassembly of the dist . you get the idea , For a company that had some of the baddest cars to ever rip the pavement their high performance parts division sold some of the poorest designed parts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums