Moparts

UBJ removal tips?

Posted By: R70RUNNER

UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 02:14 AM

I'm trying to get the upper ball joints out of my b-body, Arms are still in the car, rest of the susension is gone. Car on stands.

BJ's are soaked with PB blaster, correct socket, long handle breaker bar and even a cheater pipe on the end, I can get it to budge! What next guys, heat? longer pipe? rented gorilla? Gotta get these things out asap

What's the trick?

Posted By: kenworth_goose

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 02:16 AM

Heat them up red hot spray with cold water. Reheat red and they will come loose.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 02:18 AM

Ingersol Rand 1/2" Impact..
Posted By: ahy

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 02:19 AM

Longer pipe. Gentle heat (propane) could help too.

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 02:20 AM

Quote:

Heat them up red hot spray with cold water. Reheat red and they will come loose.

Then throw the control arms in the junk pile...
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 02:56 AM

Quote:

Ingersol Rand 1/2" Impact..

That's what i use at work.
If you can't get them out, and don't have a air compressor, and good strong air gun, then take the upper a arms out of the vehicle and take them to your local mechanic and have him zap them out with his air gun.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 04:21 AM

I had to use an impact gun too. Mine was a cheap one so it even took some time using it. Since then I bought a nice Snap-on impact but haven't had to test it on the upper ball joints.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 04:51 AM

It takes a lot to get some out of there. I used to use two long cheater bars with a guy on each one to bust the really stubborn ones loose.

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 05:24 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll borrow a better impact, I have very basic unit, but a decent compressor, then the propane torch. I wanted to hear if heat is appropriate on the arms before I went that route. Not so sure I want to try the water though.

If push comes to shove, I'll take them over to a local truck shop and have the boys with BIG impacts go at 'em.

Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 05:47 AM

A strong impact gun and some penetrating oil should do it.I'm not against using some heat when necessary but have never needed it on upper ball joints.
Posted By: Ronnman

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 03:10 PM

Heat the area where the treads are and melt some candle wax into the threads. It will wick in and lubricate the threads for easier removal.
Ron
Posted By: BDW

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 04:30 PM

Longer pipe should do the trick. I went to Home Depot and got a 3" pipe, 4ft long. Worked great

Old saying "With a long enough lever, you can move the world"
Posted By: Neil

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 05:36 PM

I had a hard time getting the ones off my dart when they were on the car due to the funky angle they sit at when unsupported. The socket kept trying to roll off and I could see myself loosing some skin eventually. I pulled them off the car and slid a steel rod through the ends and then clamped the rod in a vice so the ball joint was more parallel to the ground. One came out with the breaker bar and the other needed the impact gun.

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 05:55 PM

I've removed hundreds of them, you can literally hold the control arm in your left hand & the impact in your right...It's the way an impact gun hammers (impacts) as it turns, they come out quite easily...
Posted By: Neil

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 06:01 PM

But I like doing things the hard way!

I tried the breaker bar first since I didn't have an impact. Once I exhausted that route I borrowed an impact gun to take the last one out....and wished I would have tried the impact gun first.

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 06:04 PM

Boy I know the feeling...

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/22/08 08:14 PM

They are out! Borrowed an awsome (IR Titanium) impact, and that did the trick. What a nice tool

Thanks again for the help guys!
Posted By: therick

Re: UBJ removal tips? - 06/23/08 03:40 AM

Snap on impact guns are junk. IR are the best you can buy. I've had both. Never will go back to Snap on. IR forever
© 2024 Moparts Forums