Moparts

What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body?

Posted By: twister360

What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body? - 06/09/09 03:15 AM

I have a 74 Duster and I have SS springs on the rear and had to add a 3" lowering block to each side of the axle to get the ride height back to somewhat normal, but my shocks seem too short. Is this possible, and if so what shock should I run on the rear axle and what brand do you recommend?

Thanks

Gary
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body? - 06/09/09 07:26 AM

Yes you need longer shocks, I use Rancho shocks which are 9 way adjustable from Calvert. Mopar performance also sells a good set which are priced less but not adjustable, I hear the ones for a stick car work better. Good luck.

Re: What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body? - 06/09/09 01:11 PM

Do you know what KYB shock would work on the rear and is KYB a good shock? Thanks
Posted By: ademon

Re: What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body? - 06/09/09 02:56 PM

I'm using the kyb's, i like them, i have ss springs but the car sits fine without lowering blocks
Posted By: topside

Re: What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body? - 06/09/09 03:03 PM

For a stock shock the application for SS springs is C-body Imperial rears or '60s-era D100 pickup fronts.
SS springs require a longer shock because they allow a lot more body separation (more vertical travel).
I would think that much of a block between the springs and axle would cancel the anti-wind-up ability of the springs.

Re: What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body? - 06/09/09 03:47 PM

Quote:

I'm using the kyb's, i like them, i have ss springs but the car sits fine without lowering blocks

What type of car do you have the KYB's mounted on? I installed the SS springs on my Duster ane the rear end was way up in the air, so i added the lowering blocks and the ride height is about normal. Thanks
Posted By: Magnum

Re: What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body? - 06/09/09 08:10 PM

Quote:

For a stock shock the application for SS springs is C-body Imperial rears or '60s-era D100 pickup fronts.
SS springs require a longer shock because they allow a lot more body separation (more vertical travel).
I would think that much of a block between the springs and axle would cancel the anti-wind-up ability of the springs.

I also would lose the blocks. For proper ride height find a local spring shop to dearch your leaf spring assemblies.

The passenger side will have more arch than the driver's side. This difference should be left in there for a drag car.
If you don't like the lean, either compensate with the front torsion bar settings or tell the spring shop the left to right difference and have them dearch accordingly.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body? - 06/09/09 08:46 PM

ive tried 3 different shocks.

MP drag shocks
CE 3-way shocks
00' Dodge ram 3/4 ton shocks.

all sit about the same.

all had the same 60' time at the track.
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body? - 06/10/09 12:02 AM

What year Imperial? I need new rear shocks for my 68 Barracuda and Im running the 2800's
Posted By: topside

Re: What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body? - 06/10/09 02:31 AM

IIRC, mid-late '60s Imperial. The extended length is the big deal. You can measure the length you need by supporting your chassis, removing your shocks and letting the rear axle droop. Measure eye to eye and check what the parts counter guy hands you; they should extend past your max measurement but not bottom out at the minimum measurement. A/T cars will generally prefer a softer shock than stick cars for drag racing, so you might even want to go hit the junkyard with a 3/4" socket & ratchet and wrench.
Posted By: ademon

Re: What shocks to use with SS springs on A-body? - 06/10/09 06:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What type of car do you have the KYB's mounted on? I installed the SS springs on my Duster ane the rear end was way up in the air, so i added the lowering blocks and the ride height is about normal. Thanks

71 demon

Attached picture 5283383-ebay021.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums