Moparts

BB rocker shafts question......

Posted By: Robbins

BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/07/09 04:17 AM

......what's the correct orientation of the rocker shaft itself on BB's not the rockers but the shaft themselves? Thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/07/09 04:43 AM

Notch down and to the left as facing it while installing it in the car. In other words, down and front on drivers side and down and rear on pass side. Oil holes facing down.
Posted By: mike s

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/07/09 04:49 AM

Oil holes down with the 15 degree angle offset towards the valve end of the rocker arms
Posted By: buildanother

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/07/09 11:49 AM

The little oiling holes point down and towards the valve springs with the slight offset that they have.
Posted By: dynamite

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/07/09 01:18 PM

So they are interchangable ... right to left correct???
Posted By: buildanother

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/07/09 01:26 PM

Yes

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/07/09 02:11 PM

Quote:

Notch down and to the left as facing it while installing it in the car. In other words, down and front on drivers side and down and rear on pass side. Oil holes facing down.

My sb has the notches......these do not. The shafts are Mancini's harden stuff.

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 02:39 AM

Well, these shafts are like 3/16's longer than stock and they are not centered so they are longer on one side............so they stock valve covers will not go on or my M/T's.

Isn't that messed up? Got any suggestions?
Posted By: bb74swngr

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 03:04 AM

I used the Mancini shafts on my BB with Eddy heads and MP 1.6 roller rockers and have had no trouble with my stock valve covers.
Russ:)

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 03:15 AM

It figures that I would get the only messed up ones.
Posted By: bb74swngr

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 03:18 AM

Sorry, I think I was the one that was suppose to get the messed up ones...it usually happens to me and must have somehow gotten you confused with me.
Russ:)

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 03:19 AM

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 03:37 AM

Quote:

Well, these shafts are like 3/16's longer than stock and they are not centered so they are longer on one side............so they stock valve covers will not go on or my M/T's.

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 01:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

John I was thinking that..........just pull the freeze plug and cut it? Clean the crap out of it and reinstall the freeze plug and call it good?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 02:00 PM

I would be inclined to send them back but if you have the right cutter you could trim it as long as that still leaves you enough recess for the plug & as you said deburr/clean it & with that dimention being off & it slipped by them be sure & check all the other hole locations also before you put any more time into this.

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 02:03 PM

Quote:

I would be inclined to send them back but if you have the right cutter you could trim it as long as that still leaves you enough recess for the plug & as you said deburr/clean it & with that dimention being off & it slipped by them be sure & check all the other hole locations also before you put any more time into this.

Right, but I bought these a year ago.........guess i wasn't smart enough to look at them closely. Heck these haven't even had oil touch them yet. I haven't called them, but i dought if they would return them.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John I was thinking that..........just pull the freeze plug and cut it? Clean the crap out of it and reinstall the freeze plug and call it good?

yep , it might be tough to cut , you'll need some type of carbide cutter as I assume they are hardened shafts ? I have access to a lathe at work .

I'd call mancini and see if they'll exchange them .

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 02:11 PM

You do kind of expect something simple as a rocker shaft not to have any problems so I totally understand not checking them right away & there's nothing hi tech there, if you have the right blade to take care of it & there's still enough recess for the plug & you clean/deburr it You'll be fine but if they have a toll free # you might see what they say as this is a pretty obvious defect that is preventing your valve cover from fitting & is definitely their mistake.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 02:18 PM

You'd likely never get the freze plug out in decent shape. Just knock the freeze plug further in then cut them off. Hardened or not, a chop saw, muffler cutter or metal bandsaw should do the trick - they're not tool steel !! Any heat from the cut will have no negative affect on the end. 3/16 could even be taken off with a grinder !!

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 02:25 PM

Quote:

You'd likely never get the freze plug out in decent shape. Just knock the freeze plug further in then cut them off. Hardened or not, a chop saw, muffler cutter or metal bandsaw should do the trick - they're not tool steel !! Any heat from the cut will have no negative affect on the end. 3/16 could even be taken off with a grinder !!

& if the rest of the holes aren't off you could be back in business in no time.

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/08/09 03:22 PM

Well, cool. I'll rag it up, so not to get crap in it.....drive the freeze plug in further and take what I need off & call it good. With my pedestal grinder.

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/22/09 01:32 PM

Does anybody now where I can get the threaded plugs for the ends of the shafts?

Thanks.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/22/09 11:46 PM

Pipe plug from the hardware store. You'll need to tap the end.
Posted By: Rollin Hand

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/23/09 12:20 AM

I bought some 3.9 rocker shafts sealed power from rockauto and all the holes were drilled wrong. time on the drill press.
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 06/23/09 09:27 PM

440 Source has them for the stock shafts. I looked everyware and had no luck finding them locally.

Re: BB rocker shafts question...... - 09/13/09 06:23 PM

I ended up taking them and having them turned on a layth (spelling). The step that the freeze plug goes up against was not deep enough once it was turned down to where it needed to be so I had him fix that too. I thought I got back to this thread. I found those freeze plugs.....I'm almost thinking that I got a Dorman part #. If anybody needs the part number I'll get it for you.

The part number for the shallow cups(39/64th)Dorman part is 555-067
© 2024 Moparts Forums