Moparts

tire rubbing

Posted By: aar1

tire rubbing - 06/05/09 11:47 AM

Hi…… on a 1970 Cuda, big block…….. when turning left, the outside edge of right front tire hits the w/o molding down low. The left front is OK. The car is recently reassembled and has not yet had a “proper” alignment. Is it possible that getting it aligned will lean the tire back far enough that the rub goes away? Tire size is 255/15 on stock rallyes.
Posted By: Posest

Re: tire rubbing - 06/05/09 02:20 PM

An alignment should help. That is an awful wide tire for the front. Maybe a skinnier tire is in order?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: tire rubbing - 06/05/09 04:46 PM

Quote:

An alignment should help. That is an awful wide tire for the front. Maybe a skinnier tire is in order?

.....generaly the 245/60/15 is pushing it on a E body,.....but that size along with 235's are drying up,.....an alignment will help, but I'm sure your going to have a rub at full turn, either on the frame rail, or your front lower fender lip,....might want to "massage" that lip away from the tire,.....keep an eye on the 90 degree tab that holds your brakeline on the framerail towards the rear of the front tire,.....I clipped my once running 255/60/15 with the front slightly raked, tore the line off!.....lost front brakes!....so check out full travel/interference, and remember to allow for tire movement/flexing at high speed corning....

Re: tire rubbing - 06/05/09 05:22 PM

My bad............ I meant to say 235's, which I was told before buying them that they will fit with no problems. My AAR has the 255-50's on them and they fit fine but are no longer made in the radial T/A. So, if I'm hitting by maybe 1/8th or an inch or so, you think a good alignment might take care of the problem?
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: tire rubbing - 06/05/09 06:44 PM

hi
you did not say what series tire ?

i ran 235 / 60 / 15 on front of my 73 cuda for years with no problem .

but a 70 series would have rubed !

Re: tire rubbing - 06/05/09 06:46 PM

Sorry,
the tires on the car are 235/60-15, all 4 corners
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: tire rubbing - 06/05/09 06:48 PM

235/60-15 & stock rallies should fit fine, get it aligned & see if it's better.. Should be..
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: tire rubbing - 06/05/09 09:14 PM

Sometimes a different Tire manufacturers actual tire specs are different from other manufacturer same size tires,.....I noticed that when switching from BF's to Goodyears,.......the GY were wider in thread, and center profile than the same sized BF,...when actually measured
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: tire rubbing - 06/05/09 09:24 PM

"Proper" alignment used to include setting the front height to specs. Few techs have those specs anymore, and fewer still would crank on the t-bars a bunch without checking first with the customer for his opinion on his car's overall stance.

Height is a big part of this equation, and is easily addressed by you. Do this prior to your alignment with some hand tools and a perhaps a tape measure to help match side-to-side. Remember to bounce the front of the car a bunch (or perhaps drive around the block) after your adjustments.

Posted By: rss

Re: tire rubbing - 06/06/09 06:49 AM

I recently put 235/60/15s on the front of my 70 cuda and I had a rubbing problem at the front section of the driver's side fender. For the moment I have the wheel lip mouldings removed which is working as a temporary remedy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums