Moparts

HARD starting 440????

Posted By: abc440

HARD starting 440???? - 05/24/09 09:10 PM

I have a 440 with a 750 edlebrock (electric choke).I have trouble starting the motor after it sets 2 or 3 days. Lasts summer it would start after 15-20 seconds turning over, but seems to be worse this time. No changes. I am afraid i am going to burn the starter up. Any ideas? THANKS DAVID
Posted By: stumpy

Re: HARD starting 440???? - 05/24/09 09:13 PM

Have you looked down the carb while working the throttle to see if the accelerator pump is working? Is the choke adjusted right? What diagnosing have you done?
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: HARD starting 440???? - 05/24/09 09:14 PM

i would say you are getting too much fuel in some way like after you shut it off.[too much psi]
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: HARD starting 440???? - 05/24/09 09:19 PM

Tune it up properly.
Posted By: 6superbee9

Re: HARD starting 440???? - 05/24/09 10:13 PM

I'd say double check your choke and fuel pressure and filter. I had the same issue a while back and my fuel pump was the problem.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: HARD starting 440???? - 05/24/09 10:27 PM

After it sits for a few days pop off the air cleaner lid, and look down the carb while 'pumping' the throttle by hand. If you see no fuel squirting out of the accelerator pump nozzles your carb is either leaking fuel out of the bowls, or more likely the fuel is evaporating out of the bowls after sitting a few days. Each time you pump it by hand while watching you should see a healthy shot of fuel shooting out of the those nozzles.

If there is a lot of fuel shooting out on each pump your problem could be either a weak spark or an incorrectly adjusted choke.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: HARD starting 440???? - 05/25/09 04:18 AM

It's the fuel evaporating in the fuel bowls.
Now you have no accelerator pump shot and now it won't easily start.

For some reason, some engines do not need pump shot to start, these engines don't mind having and Edelbrock on them.

Why does it take so much cranking before you have pump shot? First the passenger side fuel bowl needs to be full. Once it's full fuel will then flow over to the driver's side fuel bowl. Once it's full it's high enough to feed the acc pump cylinder. Then without a constant supply it will only give you a couple of pump shots, hopefully it's enough to fire up your cold engine.

Guess why Holley's do NOT have this problem?

Even with 80% of their fuel bowl contents evaporated. Since it's acc pump feeds from the bottom, it'll squirt as much as you desire and that cold, not started in 2 months engine will instantly spark to life.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: HARD starting 440???? - 05/25/09 05:42 AM

THe Eddy carbs have that problem.

I would bet you have an iron intake. Mine did that but it has been better with an aluminum one. I'm not sure why that seems to matter as the problem should be there the next day and not wait a few but ????????

Could also have to do with having a fuel line with a slight "P trap" near the carb that my other ones that had more trouble didn't have. Maybe fab up a line that has something like that going on.

Maybe you could get one of those dual feed lines for the carb and drill the driver side out for it to work. That would speed up the process listed above.
Posted By: abc440

Re: HARD starting 440???? - 05/25/09 09:56 PM

Thanks gentlemen for all the responces. I changed out the coil, checked the choke, no difference in hard starting. I have the glass see through filter, looked ok. But stopped at Auto Zone and bought new filters and changed it. Started faster. I guess you cant tell by just looking. Overlooked a simple fix. THANKS AGAIN!!!!
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: HARD starting 440???? - 05/26/09 01:10 PM

Quote:

I have the glass see through filter

Why these frikken thing aren't banned from the market is beyond me! They are crap. Pretty untilthey leak and burn your car to the ground. Not legal at most tracks.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: HARD starting 440???? - 05/26/09 01:19 PM

Quote:

Overlooked a simple fix. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

k.i.s.s. always! Glad ya got it
Posted By: landon1

Re: HARD starting 440???? - 05/26/09 10:42 PM

i've had a glass filter for 6 years now...no problems, but i'll probably start using the plastic canisters since just the element on a glass filter is $4, while you can get plastic for 1/2 the price

the clear glass filters do go fast in my experience also, they may look good, but can not be allowing enough fuel to the carb
© 2024 Moparts Forums