Moparts

Brake self adjusters

Posted By: Anonymous

Brake self adjusters - 05/24/09 05:25 PM

I removed the front brake drums on my 68 Charger R/T to inspect the brake components and found the previous owner had done away with all self adjusting hardware when he did a brake job in 1994. My question is should I buy and reinstall new self adjusters or not? Do the self adjusters work well?
Posted By: minivan

Re: Brake self adjusters - 05/24/09 05:53 PM

I believe you did not have self adjusters in the front from the factory.. My 67 coronet with the 11" brakes did not..
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Brake self adjusters - 05/24/09 06:22 PM

I do the same to all my drum brakes

I tend to keep the service up on mine tinkering with it

I spoon the brakes up when the pedle travils a little but not 1/2 way,I keep em tight and the pedle solid

about every 3 mounths or so I spoon them,they could go longer in between the spooning

not saying it the right way but I do stay on top of the brakes on mine

results may vary
Posted By: MNobody

Re: Brake self adjusters - 05/24/09 06:38 PM

I alway's adjust mine so they drag just a little bit, pedal travel is a good indication when they need adjusting, as mentioned.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Brake self adjusters - 05/24/09 06:44 PM

If I have drums I prefer to adjust them manually. I feel it gives better brake balance when the shoes get a little worn. This is especially true if the drums are not the same diameter left to right due to truing on a brake lathe.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Brake self adjusters - 05/24/09 09:26 PM

look at the star wheel. Are there a lot of little teeth, or are the teeth fairly large.

If they are little teeth, then you are correct, the previous owner got rid of the self adjustment hardware. If they are big teeth, then it did not come with them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums