Moparts

Front end alignment

Posted By: Hotwheel

Front end alignment - 06/19/08 03:55 AM

Does anyone know if there are different settings for front end alignment between radials and non radials. I want to get my 70 GTX lined up and it has TA radials on it now, but I've been thinking of putting on a set of GY polyglass repose.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Front end alignment - 06/19/08 04:38 AM

IMO... (and there will be others)

No difference if the tires are about the same height.

But, getting as much positive caster as possible will be especially important with the bias ply tires, given their tendency to follow every groove in the road.

Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: Front end alignment - 06/19/08 02:08 PM

Why do the factory specs call out for positive camber and negative caster? The hardest time to turn is at a complete stop, and the negative caster can't help with that.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Front end alignment - 06/19/08 02:32 PM

I don't believe the factory ever came out with a radial specification for the older cars. the general thinking is to get as much postive caster as possible (which sometimes isn't much) and .5-1.0 negative camber.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Front end alignment - 06/19/08 04:19 PM

hardest part is finding a friendly shop that will take their time & get it where you want it. Some folded green works wonders.that & I set 180 lbs of weights in the drivers seat & less important A half tank of gas,I want it perfect.

Re: Front end alignment - 06/19/08 06:38 PM

Yeah, I no what you mean about finding someone who knows what their doing. I took my 78 Magnum to a shop that I deal with though work for various things, anyway made the appointment and told the guy I want to wait with the car, when I get there the 25/30 year old alignment guy comes out looks at the car, looks at me and back at the car and says's what the heck is this. I thought, great this is going to be a waste of money. I said did you every do a Mopar with torsion bars, he said no but there's a first time for everything. He did end up doing a good job.
I want to take my GTX and get it done, but I was thinking about the repro G/Y's but I can't get myself to spend the $ right now. I just didn't want to waste the alignment if there is a different tweak between bias and radial, because if I ask at the shop he probably won't even know what a bias tire is.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Front end alignment - 06/19/08 06:41 PM

I like to set MY OWN ride height. Get it were I want, then take it in and tell them not to touch the torsion adjustment (and you're right, many start looking puzzled at that point).

Actually, so far, I have always been able to get in there with the tech, but I know thats tough to do these days.
Posted By: dave571

Re: Front end alignment - 06/19/08 09:03 PM

Quote:

Why do the factory specs call out for positive camber and negative caster? The hardest time to turn is at a complete stop, and the negative caster can't help with that.

A negative caster car is MUCH easier to steer at low speed.

Also much more unstable at high speed.

I run manual steering on my 330, and with 3 degrees of caster it is a pig to park
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Front end alignment - 06/22/08 01:13 AM

If you want to take Pacnorthcuda's advice a step further. Set the toe yourself and make sure the tie rod assemblies are equal length. This will center the centerlink, few technicians will take the time to do or check that. Understandable since few cars need that.

As for caster. Another vote here for as much positive as possible. Parking is a minor drawback to a good tracking car. It's too bad few Mopars will even go positive without some tricks.

Re: Front end alignment - 06/22/08 01:56 AM

Quote:

If you want to take Pacnorthcuda's advice a step further. Set the toe yourself and make sure the tie rod assemblies are equal length. This will center the centerlink, few technicians will take the time to do or check that. Understandable since few cars need that.

Won't the link be centerd if the steering wheel is straight?
© 2024 Moparts Forums