Moparts

Paint wet sanding question

Posted By: calimoparguy

Paint wet sanding question - 05/23/09 05:22 PM

Who sells those foam sanding blocks used for color sanding cars?
Posted By: 69DartGT

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/23/09 05:24 PM

Summit & Harbor Freight for one.
Posted By: calimoparguy

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/23/09 05:42 PM

really, harbor freight has them??
Posted By: FrankenScamp

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/23/09 05:46 PM

I have a foam block I bought @ NAPA. The paper side of the block has holes and the block is kind of arched to contour to the sanding surface.

Is that what your looking for??
Posted By: Gusteve

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/23/09 06:09 PM

My local hardware store had them. There were probably around 600 grit, but i just wrapped them in higher grit paper.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/23/09 10:56 PM

Quote:

Who sells those foam sanding blocks used for color sanding cars?

Don't think I would be color sanding with anything less than a 1000. Maybe even 1500.
Posted By: DARTSPORT340

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/23/09 11:15 PM

DuraBlock makes nice flexable blocks in various sizes and hardnesses. I got all mine at the local paint store they arent cheap but they do a great job.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/23/09 11:19 PM

I find those foam block leave to many "waves" in the clear/topcoat leaving you with the "water ripple" effect in your final finish, esp, dark colors, rather than a "flat mirror" reflection,........heres's a car that I wet sanded out using a hard rubber 3"X5"X1/2" pad/block,(avaiable at most automotive paint suppliers) and the true and tried paint stick( local hardware store, mixing/stiring sticks).....started with 1000, then 1500, then 2000, finihed with 3000 grit.....minimal amount of machine polishing needed afterwards

Attached picture 5248211-BlkRR8.jpg
Posted By: 69DartGT

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/23/09 11:29 PM

Quote:

really, harbor freight has them??

Sorry I misread your post wrong blocks at Harbor Freight.
Try Eastwood though.
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/24/09 12:28 AM

I agree with DAYCLONA, use the best,most effective and the cheapest, paint mixing stick, it doesn't fail, foam blocks will only smooth out the orangepeel and you still end up with waves, I wrap mixing stick a few times with 2" masking tape than wrap the paper around it and go at it
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/24/09 12:34 PM

That is what I use too, a 3 x 5 hard rubber sanding block, starting with 1200 grit, 1500 and 2000....mirror like results!

For Big, flat surfaces, I use the bigger 4x8 block with hard orange plastic top with 1/4 inch rubber pad underneath

Daniel
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/24/09 06:57 PM

Quote:

I find those foam block leave to many "waves" in the clear/topcoat leaving you with the "water ripple" effect in your final finish, esp, dark colors, rather than a "flat mirror" reflection,........heres's a car that I wet sanded out using a hard rubber 3"X5"X1/2" pad/block,(avaiable at most automotive paint suppliers) and the true and tried paint stick( local hardware store, mixing/stiring sticks).....started with 1000, then 1500, then 2000, finihed with 3000 grit.....minimal amount of machine polishing needed afterwards

Quote:

That is what I use too, a 3 x 5 hard rubber sanding block, starting with 1200 grit, 1500 and 2000....mirror like results!

For Big, flat surfaces, I use the bigger 4x8 block with hard orange plastic top with 1/4 inch rubber pad underneath

Daniel

Thanks, good info. I have to redo my Coronet because of over spray and was wondering what block/pad was best for color sanding. I assume you use the paint stick in the close quarter areas and the hard rubber pad on everything else?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/24/09 08:16 PM

Thanks, good info. I have to redo my Coronet because of over spray and was wondering what block/pad was best for color sanding. I assume you use the paint stick in the close quarter areas and the hard rubber pad on everything else?

Correct,.....never let your "fingers do the walking", or a soft surface behind paper, or those "sanding blocks" for delicate finial surface work,.....I know there's times of nooks and crannys that you have no choice, but for the open expanses of sheetmetal, you want a resilant surface under your paper, to produce a "flat finish".....good luck on your project!

Attached picture 5249587-BlkRR16.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/24/09 10:50 PM

A length of rubber hose works well for contoured areas. I prefer the softer 3M pads over the hard arched blocks. Your local auto paint store should have a good selection.

I can't imagine being able to sand waves into a car with 1500 or 2000, or for that matter even 600, unless the person is either using their fingers, or the bodywork wasn't right and is revealed by blocking. Wetsanding should not be aggressive.
Posted By: DARTSPORT340

Re: Paint wet sanding question - 05/24/09 10:55 PM

Quote:

I agree with DAYCLONA, use the best,most effective and the cheapest, paint mixing stick, it doesn't fail, foam blocks will only smooth out the orangepeel and you still end up with waves, I wrap mixing stick a few times with 2" masking tape than wrap the paper around it and go at it

I have sanded many many vehicles with a foam block and never had ripples or waves....Believe me if I did our uber picky customers would be throwing a fit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums