Moparts

Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats?

Posted By: 68Bullit

Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 05/15/09 07:02 PM

What would cause a ThermoQuad to throw gasoline everywhere? I have just finished hooking up a new throttle cable and bracket and then I tried to start the car and it ran real choppy and lots of smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes. I shut it down and then noticed gas all over the top of the carb, all around the top flaps and all down around the front and sides of the carb. It threw out quite a bit of gas (some gas went down into the intake valley).
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Thermoquad - 05/15/09 07:05 PM

Needle and seat stuck or sunk float.

Re: Thermoquad - 05/15/09 08:15 PM

How do I fix?

Re: Thermoquad - 05/15/09 09:00 PM

Before this happened today, the car ran good but would be intermittent. Idle would fluctuate on it's own, and had some bogging going on while going into full throttle. Could these be some earlier signs of the needle/seats or float bowls being off?

I probably didn't need to, but I went ahead and pulled it off and drained the gas so I could get a good look at everything, and to be able to go into the carb some, if necessary. Any tips on where to start?

Re: Thermoquad - 05/15/09 11:50 PM

Wow. I recall seeing alot more people on this site that are using a TQ. I know there are some folks who could help out, I thought.
Posted By: DEMONSIZZLER

Re: Thermoquad - 05/16/09 12:20 AM

Eric, I just emailed you about the over-rich running of the carb, David.
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: Thermoquad - 05/16/09 12:39 AM

Hi Demonsizzler, I was just wondering why you wouldn't post your answers about the ThermoQuad on here instead of PMing or Emailing?
It would help other Thermo owners now and in the future.
Thanks
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Thermoquad - 05/16/09 02:34 AM

Well ...I will post for all to see

The chances are VERY GOOD that this prob is sunken floats. I will dig-up the brass floats # and post it later.

The float issue on the TQ is very famous. Other than a MALadjusted secondary air-valve .... the problem caused by these bad floats are majorly complained about.
Posted By: 6packattk

Re: Thermoquad - 05/16/09 08:53 AM

If I recall they had fiber floats and if they get old, soak up fuel and sink,brass ones would be a permanant fix.I always had trouble with leather accelerator pumps too,then they went viton,leather would curl up and give ya the big back fire when you tried to floor it.Took me years to figure out air door setting,do it by feel now by pressure tapping on it and how lightly it closed.Have not ran thermobog since 80`s on my several 440 new yorkers......

Re: Thermoquad - 05/16/09 09:15 AM

I was looking for this topic before I hit-the-hay ....

Most of the TQ's had "plastic" floats that did not need to be "old" to sink. Seems like some of the alky blend fuels did them in.

ACC pumps ? .... I have done more than my share of the Plastic-Fantastics ....and honestly ...I have never had to need to replace one of those.

ThermoBog ? ... ... you calling it that - you STILL could not have figured that AV out.

ALL you need is that new-and-improved AV tool to tweak-it-right. Available from yurrs-truly !

Join the ThermoSquad ....and Blast-da-Bumz !

Re: Thermoquad - 05/16/09 09:19 AM

Seems like I can not edit that other post .... I have not forgotten about getting the float #'s. I have a box that is in my trailer ... that those have to be in there.

Later today.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Thermoquad - 05/16/09 10:13 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned a leaking o-ring, use to happen all the time.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Thermoquad - 05/16/09 01:26 PM

If the gas is on the top O ring or jet wells leaking probably won't be the problem.

Another thing to check is the float level. That is measured WITH THE GASKET INSTALLED! So you may have them set too high.

Rug_Trucker
SFC. Mid TN Thermosquad
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 05/16/09 02:20 PM

I'd put a good filter ahead of the carb and a new needle/seat
Posted By: 440sat72

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/07/09 06:50 PM

i dont know wether you have fixed that problem already but mine did the same thing when running without a fuel pressure regulator. my mechnical fuel pump cranked out 8PSI of pressure which was way too much for the TQ to handle. put a fuel pressure regulator between pump and car, adjusted it to 4.5 PSI and everything was fine.

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/08/09 03:05 AM

Thanks for following the thread Michael. I was wondering about the fuel pump when someone else said that it could be pushing to much psi.

Can anyone tell from this picture if this pump appears to be a pump with too much psi?

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/08/09 03:15 AM

that is a stock(airtex type I believe) pump. got a vacuum gauge handy w the neoprene adapter to fit it to your fuel line as most have a psi scale to use also but I will opinionate that excessive psi is not the problem.

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/08/09 03:31 AM

Good deal. Thanks Robert. Now, I'm off to check the float levels.

Anyone help with how to check the levels on a TQ? I know how to with a Holley but still learning on the TQ.

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/08/09 03:47 AM

Quote:

Good deal. Thanks Robert. Now, I'm off to check the float levels.

Anyone help with how to check the levels on a TQ? I know how to with a Holley but still learning on the TQ.

Top off upside down. Measure from the gasket!
Posted By: Warrant_Officer

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/08/09 01:39 PM

Had the same problem with my carb, turned out that the floats were way off..start there and trouble shoot as suggested.
al

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/11/09 03:52 PM

Okay. So to check the floats the whole top has to be removed? What holds it on, the small 4 bolts/screws on the top four corners?

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/11/09 04:05 PM

Hey Eric ...do you have a Mopar service manual ?
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/11/09 04:20 PM

need to loose 4 rods/links:

passenger side:
manifold choke rod
choke pull off rod

driver side
high step cam push rod
Accelerator pump

Disconect gas line

10 screws on top... 8 are visible. two are inside the front airn horn

then will be able to remove the top section of body

You can make mounted on engine yet, and rest of parts will keep on car.

assemblying will need to remove metering rods, and mount them back once top plate is mounted. With everything in place, the Common metering rods link need to be loosen ( small screw on top and a cover. that will give you teh chance to partially loose that link.

also will need to remove the metering rods covers ( one small machined screw on each side and the cover )

hook the metering rods to the link, and push it untill get in on jets centered ( you can feel it, trying to push them down without problem ), and get the cover assemblied back.

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/11/09 04:23 PM

Hey Nacho .....did you ever get a specific outlet name and part # on that primary O-ring ?

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/11/09 04:24 PM

I posted on the respectivelly thread with pics

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/11/09 05:00 PM

Hey Doc, No, I don't have a service manual. I'm in the market for one.

Nacho. Was that one of my threads that I forgot about? Got a link?

Thanks

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/11/09 05:31 PM

TQ Chrysler manual ( 72, but works the same to all carbs, except on measurements to adjustment, but dissasembly and adjustment procedure )

http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/290/cover.htm

O rings info ( on a previous thread where we were talking about )

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post5261439

yesterday I used the last two ones NEW MATCHING O rings from rebuilt kit ( two like the left/bottom O ring on last pic I posted with 5 O rings ), just to try them, but Honestly I got very happey with the replacements I got and is a fact they are more reusable than originals.

Now I just have One original O ring ( the right/bottom on pic ), what it was diff mesurements than the other ones. Thats why I say, you can use any O ring size as far seals and don't break on assembly.

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/11/09 09:15 PM

Drop base air cleaner! I've been using a drop base air cleaner but I have a small 1/2" riser that sits on top of the carb and under the drop base bottom part of the air cleaner. Is it possible that the bottom of the air cleaner could be too close to the vent stacks???? I've only used the drop base style cleaner before so can someone recommend a good functional air cleaner assy?

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/11/09 09:25 PM

NOTE:

REMEMBER I'M JUST AN AMATEUR on this, so anything I can tell can be corrected by DEMONSIZZLER or any real carb tech. with all what I have experienced with my carbs, I just can tell from experience playing with then without REALLY KNOW what the hell I'm doing in some cases LOL

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/11/09 09:51 PM

Hey Nacho .... how many TQ's have you built ?

And just because someone doesn't label themselves a "professional" does not mean that they know LESS than someone who might CHARGE to make a product or perform a service.

LOOK at some of the postings on transmission and engine topics. The knowledge of some here that are so-called amateurs some times is far more impressive than people who do-it for a living.

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/11/09 10:07 PM

just mine... well I have three one: in DECENT conditions ( in my car ) and two more that could it be fixed, tuned somewhere, somehow... just that still dunno exactly how LOL... HAVEN'T TRIED EITHER again since I have the best I could get working already mounted. I'm having some issues on the very first initial gas press quite often... dunno if acelerator pump/linkage adjustment... or something else. I already tried changing pump itslef ( rubber, leather ), check valve ( roller, rubber ). I still can make some other experiments. I have got changes on every try, some better, some worse. Right now is better than last time. I changed the pump for leather kind 2 days ago. A friend of mine told me SPREAD OUT the leather to get a better seal against the walls ( I didn't make that first time I mounted the leather pump kind ) did work, at least better than initially.

I have read manteniance and rebuilt manuals several times, but still don't get some stuff. maybe a technical language issue

and failed on one try on a friend's car

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/12/09 01:41 AM

Quote:

Drop base air cleaner! I've been using a drop base air cleaner but I have a small 1/2" riser that sits on top of the carb and under the drop base bottom part of the air cleaner. Is it possible that the bottom of the air cleaner could be too close to the vent stacks???? I've only used the drop base style cleaner before so can someone recommend a good functional air cleaner assy?

??????

I can't see under there with the air cleaner on, and I can't feel if it's touching, but I'm starting to think the aircleaner could be choking the carb via the vent stacks maybe?????

Is there a preferred air cleaner assy for the TQ?

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/12/09 01:48 AM

Eric ... blocking or restricting the vent tubes is uNlikely.

But to check-it ... use some clay.
Posted By: JonC

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/12/09 02:01 AM

Quote:

Eric ... blocking or restricting the vent tubes is uNlikely.

But to check-it ... use some clay.

If you use clay, make sure you remove it from the vent tubes after checking.

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/12/09 04:55 AM

Quote:

Hey Doc, No, I don't have a service manual. I'm in the market for one. Got a link?

Somewhere here on Moparts there was a link where you could print out the factory manual. I did it.

It's been a year or 2.

Re: Thermoquad Flooding. Floats? needle/seats? - 06/12/09 02:26 PM

Quote:

TQ Chrysler manual ( 72, but works the same to all carbs, except on measurements to adjustment, but dissasembly and adjustment procedure )

http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/290/cover.htm

© 2024 Moparts Forums