Moparts

Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable

Posted By: mikeysmopars

Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/15/09 03:28 PM

Who out there can give me definate answer on what cars got Torque boxes, I have two challenger convertables that have them, I have a 70 r/t 440 4 speed challenger that has them. I have a 70 gtx six pack 4 speed car that doesn't and is an early production car. I also recently saw a 70 r/t six pack charger late production car that did not have the boxes. I know most Hemi cars have them but have heard a few that did not.Plant? Parts Shortage? or just a monday Car? Any help. Mike

Attached picture 5231405-Happiness.jpg
Posted By: p d'ro

Re: Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/15/09 03:52 PM

for the B bodies just the hemis and ragtops. Not sure about the Challengers.
Nice pic, by the way. Fast forward 10 years and you are in trouble... Hide your keys.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/15/09 03:54 PM

They were supposed to be on every Six Pack, Hemi, Vert and I believe 440 cars. I have seen them on my later 440-4bbl B-bodies.

As for why they were occasionally missed all I can figure is that the torque boxes were welded before the paint. Maybe the body got seperated from it's paperwork the bodies got out of sequence. So that /6 ended up with a Hemi body and vice versa. That is purely speculation though.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/15/09 03:57 PM

Quote:

Who out there can give me definite answer on what cars got Torque boxes.

The terms definitive and Ma Mopar together in a sentence? Don't hold your breath.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/15/09 04:43 PM

The answer is simply this: There is no deffinative answer

Few (arguably none) 1970 B-body six pack cars got TB's. Yours is not unusual.
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/15/09 04:56 PM

Thanks, I kinda thought as much but I've heard everthing from"your car isn't a RAEL six pac car to a lot of the six pac cars did not have them. Just looking at a dozen or so 70 dodge & Plymouth b body six pac cars almost half did not have them and they were the real deal. I have seen a couple 71 b body 440 4bbl automatic cars that have had them? As one of my Indain friends always says "I am not Knowing"
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/15/09 05:23 PM

I think the consensus is that by 71’ and into 72' the b-body TBs are present on most every original hemi and 440 (U&V coded) cars regardless of transmission.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/15/09 05:27 PM

Typical "had them" list:

'66-70 B-bodies: hemis and converts (don't think any 440 4bbl or 6bbl cars had them)

'70-1 E-bodies: w/ U-code 440 4bbl, V-code 440 6bbls, R-code 426 hemi, all converts. And from what I have observed, most LA built 383 cars had the fronts only.

'71-2 B-bodies: w/ U-code, V-code, and R-code
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/15/09 05:33 PM

Don't forget 340 4speed A bodies
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/15/09 05:33 PM

Quote:

most LA built 383 cars had the fronts only.

That's interesting, never heard that before. Any idea why?

Tav
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/15/09 07:34 PM

I've seen examples of original /6 A, B, & E-bodies with all 4 Boxes, just fronts, or just rears, bottom line? There were applications that "should" have them that never got them, and some that were never planned to have them that did get them, you can't rule anything out.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: Torque Boxes, Hemi Six pack, Convertable - 05/17/09 04:17 PM

I've seen a 71 /6 barracuda convertible that didn't have any torque boxes, and also a 71 /6 gran coupe convertible that did have all four torque boxes.

Tav
© 2024 Moparts Forums