Moparts

Clutch Rod Help!

Posted By: BLUECUDA

Clutch Rod Help! - 05/14/09 12:18 AM

Ok Look at the pic, and tell me if I have the right length clutch rod for a 71 Cuda 440 4-speed? It's 7 1/2in. over all, and 4 1/4in. of the shaft is threaded. The problem is the clutch wont even start to grab until the pedal is almost all the way let out. I've maxed out the adjustment on the shaft, and it got a little better but not like it should be. It's like I need more threads on the shaft to adjust the clutch. The clutch is a center force dual friction very little miles on.

Posted By: stumpy

Re: Clutch Rod Help! - 05/14/09 12:23 AM

The shorter the rod the quicker the clutch release. You want about 1" freeplay at the top of the pedal.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Clutch Rod Help! - 05/14/09 12:37 AM

Do a little search and you'll find a lot of people(including me) have had to modify the z bar to get enough travel to fully disengage the clutch and engage it. I removed the z bar gut the lower arm and added 1/2 inch to it to make it longer. I tried a longer actuating rod but it either fully disengaged the clutch or fully allowed the clutch to engage but not both. Oh yeah I'm runnung a centerforce too.
Posted By: oldiron

Re: Clutch Rod Help! - 05/14/09 02:37 AM

Quote:

The shorter the rod the quicker the clutch release. You want about 1" freeplay at the top of the pedal.

move nut other way - if i'm thinking about this properly
© 2024 Moparts Forums