Moparts

Overdrive Auto behind BB??

Posted By: Anonymous

Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/10/05 01:48 AM

How hard would it be to put one of the newer overdrive automatics behind a 383 in a b-body? What would it cost and how much work would it take?
Thanks
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/10/05 02:24 AM

lots of variables! I'm doing a 518 OD(46RH) in my 65 B. None of the OD trans were made to fit a big block so you have to "adapt" it. I'll be cutting off the stock bell and bolting on a J.W. Performance bell (about $290). You'll have to fabricate a new trans crossmember and shorten the driveshaft. You may also have to do some "clearancing" of the trans tunnel. Lots of other little things, like wiring the OD and lock up controls.
What you spend will depend on how tough you want the transmission to be and how much work you farm out.
My estimates run from $850 if I do everything myself, including a trans rebuild, to as much as $4000 if you just drop it off somewhere and tell em to have at it.

Attached picture 2052504-DSC01165b.jpg
Posted By: dragaddict

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/10/05 02:41 AM

We did a Gear Venders this summer with 4;10's in the rear and am still in heaven with it. Bit of money and work but definatly one of those things you forget the pain over with the drive ability improvement.
Posted By: feets

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/10/05 03:14 AM

Quote:

We did a Gear Venders this summer with 4;10's in the rear and am still in heaven with it. Bit of money and work but definatly one of those things you forget the pain over with the drive ability improvement.

Being able to forget the pain of how much it cost is the reason I'm building a 518 to go behind the TT440.
Considering the cost of the Gear Vendors unit, there's no reason to even consider that thing.

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/10/05 03:26 AM

Heres some articles that may have some info that helps you. The first one shows a late model 4 speed od swap into a GTX. The second shows the similarities between a late model 518 and a 727. Also how to wire one up.

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/43323/index.html
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/alto_3.htm

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/10/05 05:53 AM

Thank you! That gives me something to start with.
Posted By: 6o4o

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/10/05 06:27 AM

This crossmember hackjob is just a 100% no-no for me on this swap. I don't know how how to solder and I would never cut my car because of an OD, then I really like the GV OD better where mostly (there are also people that had to cut their floors!) an airhammer is all you need... considering this and the 80$/hour I would have to pay someone to do all the welding for me this swap becomes at least as expensive as an GV OD, doesn't it?

That's from the Hotrod magazine article "Before you start planning this summer’s family vacation in your overdrive Hemi Charger, remember that this is not a project for the faint of heart—or wallet. The retail price for an A518 is around $1600 (not including the torque converter), and the JVX adapter kit adds another $495. That’s more than two grand, and you haven’t even started grinding metal or fabricating linkage pieces, which can cost in the neighborhood of $800, according to Art Carr. But if you’re willing to spend the time and money, this is a great way to give an old Mopar new shifts."
Posted By: fox

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/10/05 11:24 AM

I have a brand new JW ultrabell for a BB to 518 swap and it needs a new owner. I almost did this swap in a Cuda, but sold the car first.
There are several ways to do this, it is just up to the owner and car.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/10/05 12:30 PM

Quote:

This crossmember hackjob is just a 100% no-no for me on this swap. I don't know how how to solder and I would never cut my car because of an OD, then I really like the GV OD better where mostly (there are also people that had to cut their floors!) an airhammer is all you need... considering this and the 80$/hour I would have to pay someone to do all the welding for me this swap becomes at least as expensive as an GV OD, doesn't it?

That's from the Hotrod magazine article "Before you start planning this summer’s family vacation in your overdrive Hemi Charger, remember that this is not a project for the faint of heart—or wallet. The retail price for an A518 is around $1600 (not including the torque converter), and the JVX adapter kit adds another $495. That’s more than two grand, and you haven’t even started grinding metal or fabricating linkage pieces, which can cost in the neighborhood of $800, according to Art Carr. But if you’re willing to spend the time and money, this is a great way to give an old Mopar new shifts."

6040, do some more investigating, IIRC, there's a few guys with '71-up B bodies that didn't have to cut and weld on the floorpan for a 518, they just had to remove a few ribs on the case of the OD and fabricate the bolt-in portion of the xmember....
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/10/05 12:55 PM

cjk440 has a photo thread about that... search for it!
Posted By: feets

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/10/05 11:38 PM

Who buys a new tranny?
Grab a used one and rebuild it. It's not appreciably more than a 727.
I can understand having difficulties finding one outside the US, but there should be no problems in the country.
Posted By: roe

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/11/05 12:11 AM

Wasnt there supposed to be a direct bolt in job for the OD tranny from Jamie Passon(check spelling), or something like that? If so, is it available yet, has anyone used it? Results?
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/11/05 12:15 AM

Quote:

Wasnt there supposed to be a direct bolt in job for the OD tranny from Jamie Passon(check spelling), or something like that? If so, is it available yet, has anyone used it? Results?

thats a 4-speed 833 with different ratio's and its comparably priced to the gear vendors unit.
Posted By: roe

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/11/05 12:20 AM

Does anybody remember the title of the post, I would like to do some reading on it. If you can, please post a link.

Thanks
roe
Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/11/05 12:33 AM

You'd think by now, someone can sell the tranny mount already modified:

So folks who can't weld can just bolt her up. Ditto w/outlining exactly where on the tranny case you can grind/cut off to fit your car (I think only e-body and '71-'74 b-body you can do this w/o cutting your tunnel).

'specially if Keisler is probably going to charge big bux for a GM Trans conversion in your Mopar.

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/11/05 02:13 AM

Quote:

Who buys a new tranny?
Grab a used one and rebuild it. It's not appreciably more than a 727.
I can understand having difficulties finding one outside the US, but there should be no problems in the country.

I agree with this. You can find 518's around here rebuilt for under $800, a low mile junkyard unit will be MUCH less. Welding isnt a huge expense either. Most muffler shops will weld a crossmember for you for $30 or so if you already have the measurements you want and the parts cut out. Anyone with a tape measure and an angle grinder could do this.
Posted By: Snailpower

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/11/05 12:30 PM

If I can do it, most all of you can too! Take a look. It's not that hard...

This pic is before the second bolt holes were drilled in the crossmember ears, or the mount was attached.

Attached picture 2055900-DSCF0006.JPG
Posted By: Snailpower

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/11/05 12:35 PM

Heres a pic of the crossmember modification. A little entailed, but stronger than the factory.

Attached picture 2055906-transtunnel.JPG
Posted By: 6o4o

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/11/05 01:43 PM

But this A518 just makes sense if you have a lockup converter, doesn't it? Can you get high performance lock-up converters that support 500HP or more?
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/11/05 01:45 PM

if you have a NON lockup 518 - with a TIGHT converter it will be fine... but yes you can SMR trans in canada sells them i think...
Posted By: patrick

Re: Overdrive Auto behind BB?? - 10/11/05 03:59 PM

Quote:

But this A518 just makes sense if you have a lockup converter, doesn't it? Can you get high performance lock-up converters that support 500HP or more?

yes, you can get just about any spec HP converter in lockup....might be a few $$ more expensive, than a non LU....you'll see good economy gains with a lockup over non-lockup, as well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums