Moparts

340 started...now come the questions

Posted By: ashburnmike

340 started...now come the questions - 06/17/08 01:09 AM

The 340 started last weekend. It sounds good and strong but...
the oil prssure gauge is almost pinned on the high side. is this just a start up thing or could something else be wrong. New Sending unit. New Wiring harness.
The temperature gauge pinned itself on HOT in a very few minutes. New water pump. New Thermostat.
I shut it down and took the thermostat out. The needle pointed a little north toward the warm side when I started it again but seemed fine. Should I just leave it out?
while the car is running my eyes are burning. I was told by a Chevy guy that the AVS is running rich...don't know if I trust a Chevy guy
I don't know anything about this carb and the manual is little help. Any thoughts?
Thanks again
AM
Posted By: AdamR

Re: 340 started...now come the questions - 06/17/08 01:12 AM

Are you sure you have the correct sending units ? You may have sending units for idiot lights instead of gauges.

Re: 340 started...now come the questions - 06/17/08 01:21 AM

they are the correct sending units...at least they were the replacement units Year One Sells for a '70 340 Motor. They look the same as the original units I replaced.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 340 started...now come the questions - 06/17/08 01:29 AM

The dash voltage limiter a little off? Is it an A body w/rallye dash?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 340 started...now come the questions - 06/17/08 01:34 AM

your AVS is running rich & no you cannot trust a cheby guy & if this was initial breakin you would want the thermostat out for that 20 minute deal. I would guess that the stat was just stuck closed.

Re: 340 started...now come the questions - 06/17/08 10:55 AM

Yes, it is the rally dash. Im not sure what or where the voltage limiter is. On the back of the gauges? What might happen if the oil pressure is too high?
The thermostat was new but I guess it's not unusual for new / rebuilt components to not work.
As far as the carb goes there are several adjustment screws on it but I'm not sure what screw does what.
thanks
AM

Re: 340 started...now come the questions - 06/17/08 12:36 PM

If you have an A body rallye dash, the voltage limiter for gauges is built-in to the fuel gauge. Posted here in the past is a fix for that situation. I was fotunate to find an nos fuel gauge a few years ago. The fuel, temp and gas gauges were all reading way high in my case, maybe yours too.

Re: 340 started...now come the questions - 06/17/08 11:30 PM

Thanks. So, your gauges were all running high until you replaced it...and now it's fine?
I'll hunt for that posting.
AM

Re: 340 started...now come the questions - 06/18/08 03:28 AM

Yes, the gauges all read high before replacement of fuel gauge, and I meant fuel, temp and oil press...dopey me....
© 2024 Moparts Forums